Recent Idiot moves you've made

Built my first city 11 squares away from the capital just for the stone - I was building the Pyramids. Chop-rushed the Pyramids at the same time so when the city was finally providing that stone, the Pyramids were ready. Worse than that, I panicked for having a city so far away and beelined to Code of Laws without knowing pottery - it took me 30 turns researching. Needless to say, I was in the stone age in AD 500... So I gave up that stupid game I started.

Also: leaving a forested hill across a river nearby a coastal/border city. Guess where my enemy parked his unit stack?

A while ago, I built University of Sankore, the Spiral Minaret, and the AP, while running Organized religion.............and none of my cities had religion........let alone a state one. I have no clue as to how I avoided founding a religion or two while getting those wonders, but I did it, and had no foreign contact or trade routes (ocean between everyone).

I save at the end of every turn, and if I do something like this, which is not a tactical error but just a mis-click, I will reload it. I got in the habit of saving at the end of every turn because of random crashes early in the release, but it comes in handy for this as well.
You can edit the .ini file to tell Civ4 to autosave every turn (and to keep more than 5 autosaves around)

Supreme Earth Multi-Player.

3 warrior rush to my borders. I have one warrior. I slave second warrior, and then move on warrior to a hill to protect my 3p hill. Their 3 warriors move to slot next to city, and I have warrior in 2. Thinking he wouldn't dare attack me where I have 65% def bonus -- 3 warriors attacked. 1 died, the other conquered Rome

Turn 21 I'm out -- cya

Ok, so this one time, (I forget exactly who I was, it has been a while.) but it was the medieval era, and I was gearing up for war against Asoka, my neighbor. Built up a big army, and even remembered to leave some troops behind in case my western neighbor (Asoka was to my civ's east), Charlemagne, decides to stir up some trouble. So I start stomping on Asoka, and what do you know, Charlie decides to backstab me.

So he comes in with this small stack, a few cats, maybe a treb, and about 5 pikemen. I think to myself "Gee, he doesn't have any real attackers, I can just shuffle about 3 axemen to the city he's threatening, and ride him out until I finish mopping up."

Except this is Charlemagne, his "Pikemen" are doubled against infantry :blush: And I lose my city, which was bad, bad bad. I rate it highly dumb because I had a pair of longbowman I could have put in, who probably could have held the city, but I didn't.

Just found out that I have forgot to build National Epic....

I am in 1996. Damn

Buying cIV and BtS for my wife. It's worse than aspirin.

Had cultural win lined up, two cities just hit legendary, had five GAs saved up to put that 3rd city over the top. Clicked on those GAs, played air guitar along with them while they did their thing (this earned me a very peculiar look from my fiancee).

Realized a few seconds later that my GAs had been sitting in the wrong city...

"A house overextended against itself cannot stand..."

Focused all of my attention on eating up the territory of primitive neighbors, trying to go for a Domination victory with Lincoln. Then Saladin, who is stronger and more advanced, declares war and masses forces in his previously captured cities on the continent from said primitive neighbors, as well as a two-pronged sea invasion consisting of at least 50 soldiers. With my soldiers stretched all across the continent, and with his air superiority (having flanked my land with multiple Carriers and a decent navy) I didn't stand a chance :mad:.

Three lessons (at least):
1) Never let a rival establish footholds on your continent from conquering other Civs when you are able to fight him.
2) Though those big cities of primitive neighbors look juicy, don't overconquer to the point of having no concentrated power anywhere in your half-continent long country.
3) Build a bigger navy so a rival can't flank your continent with Carriers.

Left a blossoming Empire in the hands of my missus for a SHORT
(Short mind you) period of time, came back to the sounds of War trumpets, only to find she had managed to P#$s off not only Ragnar with his 2 vassals + also through in Boudie and her vassels as well.

Sort of 5 for the price of one, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: O well I wanted to pratice my early modern age Battle Tactics

I promoted a CR3 maceman to a machinegun.
check
Confused my worker and my scout which were on adjacent tiles--sending the scout off to mine a nearby hill and accidentally parking my worker right next to a hungry bear...
check
Ended my turn by accident, not taking a city.
check - repeatedly! Especially when I had stacked my troops and used the catapults - simply forgot to activate all those CRIII swords ready to GO
Clicked archery as my free tech from the oracle.
check - or sailing
-Switching to free market when all my trading partners are using mercantilism.
-Misclicking my great priest and lightbulbing polytheism
-Building the hanging gardens when all of my city's are at happy cap .
check
check - usually it is meditation, though
check
What I love doing is sending a great merchant clear across the world, in a caravel, and everything, and hitting gift instead of trade mission. It's happened at least twice.
check
Anyway, I recently accepted a "let me be ur vassal pls" request from someone who was at war with my best friend.
check

one of 'my own'?

hm..... let's see, how about the time I used a large stack of trebuchets to attack the enemy stack, then used the adjacent stack of catapults to attack his city? :crazyeye:

- I produced a new, shiny, 11 XP Modern Armour and promoted it Drill I - CR I - CR II (I gifted it to a friendly civ attacked by a stronger neighbour)

- When doing Quechua rush, I gave one of the survivors Combat II instead of CR II (I reloaded)

- Destroyed an enemy, gave one of the newely captured cities to a neighbour, friendly civ (who requested it) and signed a MPP. Next turn its leader turned out to be my opponent in UN.

S.

I once was trying to win a space race victory when a AP vote came up. I thought this was for the chair guy to sit in power, so I voted for one of the guys, wasn't looking too much.

Turns out that with my votes and everyone else's, the AI won a religious victory!
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

So I reloaded the game, tried to get a space race, but I left Domination on and I won by Domination
ARRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

speaking of religion...

I managed to put four religions in my capital before I built more cities. They were Hinduism, Judaism, Confucianism, and Christianity. I could have gotten to taoism first, but I really needed to expand. In any case though, I did manage to expand enough to make up for how long I spent with just one city (in order to get an excellent wall street city with 4 religion having it as a holy city). The problem ended up being that the founder of Buddhism had enough time (and cities) to spread it to half of the rest of the world. So more religions is not always better. I did get swedagon paya and free religion though :D .

Conquered my neighbour forgot to bring up enough new defense units well having Gengis Khan as my new neighbour :sad:

Top Bottom