Recommended settings for mod?

The Boz

Nooblet
What are the recommended settings for the resources, starts, sizes and maps when using the newest version of this mod? I know Thal made some modifications to resource placement or something like that. Should I use standard resources or balanced? What about sizes/civs/CSs? Do you like to play with more civs/CSs per map size or less? What mods do you use to have a good, fun game on an Earth map with this mod?

These average map settings are tested thoroughly with Vem. There's probably other good setups out there, but different settings might not be as balanced. :)
  • Continents or Pangaea (and their “Plus” versions)
  • Small/Standard maps on Normal speed.
  • Large maps on Epic speed.
  • Default advanced game options.

The important thing is to pick settings you like. I personally play on standard/standard/continents plus/emperor with default advanced game settings.

Just looking at the numbers, movement rates are the same on Marathon, but economic rates slow by 300%. This probably makes Marathon more conquest-friendly than Normal. Since the AI is not particularly good at conquest, Marathon might be easier than Normal. There's also fixed values in the game which do not scale to game speed.

I find that in Marathon AI's build more units making Conquest a bit harder. But it may just be my games, or play style.

I definitely find that CiV gets much easier the slower the game speed because of human military superiority. On normal speed if I wipe out the AIs army they will replenish it in 15 turns - I might not get to take more than 1 city, or maybe none at all if the distance is substantial. On Marathon it takes them 45 turns to replenish their army which is enough time to conquer their entire empire. Given enough time to reposition and juke around a skilled human can beat any number of AI units which is why the faster the game the harder it is because you can't afford to take an entire era to capture a single city! The less time you have the more risks you have to take.

I don't see any way around this though, it is just a function of having more time to play with. That is, of course, unless the tactical AI can be made as good as an expert player... also, I would like a pony.

Don't worry, guys: the combat AI system's supposed to be better in Gods & Ponies.

Top Bottom