1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Reddit user has played a single Civ2 game for over 10 years

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

10 years is actually not that insane, I have a C3C game (huge earth map) that is currently ongoing since 2003, so I'm pretty close.
    Also, it's just 1460AD (albeit with 254 hours played), so plenty of time to go.

2. ZanzibarZim

ZanzibarZim Chieftain

Call me immature, then :).

I actually did this a few times to see what would happen, both in CivI and CivII.

I used games that I had won via space race with AI civs still on the map. Then I sold all my pollution-control city improvements. I also disbanded most of my military units and fortified each city with three defensive units. Then I just kept hitting end turn over and over and watched the situation develop. It was pretty fascinating to watch as all plains, grasslands, and forests became either desert, swamp, or jungle.

Once the world had gone to heck and it was as bad as it was going to get, I staged a comeback. I built engineers and pollution-control improvements, and started to slowly recover. The AI civs seemed to have gone into hibernation mode or something, they kind of just stopped doing anything at all, kind of like the Sioux in Lyserious' scenario.

It was fun and interesting.

3. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Good story. :)

By the way, I have played until AD 2523 as the Celts and also I have had the ice cap melted many times, perhaps over a dozen times. But I had already won the game so I enabled cheat mode and gave a large number of "NON" Engineers to all nations.

Something I find strange with his game, is that the AI is nuking units on the battleground. I have never seen the AI use nukes against units, they waste them on my SDI defense.

What is AGW? If by any chance "GW" stands for Global Warming I have no clue what the "A" stands for.

4. ZanzibarZim

ZanzibarZim Chieftain

I'm not sure if they are. A lot of the :nuke:ed locations look like old city sites to me. But Lycerius does say he had stacks of units in the open that got :nuke:ed.

I think this may have happened to me once years ago, but I can't be sure. I seem to recall a situation in which I had a mountain fortress on an ithmus, heavily garrisoned with defensive units and arty, that took a :nuke: hit once. But I can't remember what version of Civ I was playing at the time.

Another possibility is that he's referring to the AI :nuke:ing a city that he had just captured that was surrounded by units stranded at the end of the turn. Alternatively, he could be referring to stacks of units getting :nuke:ed while assembled inside a city.

Anyway, this is something I'm currently concerned about. I'm on turn 34 of the scenario right now and I've just finished off the Vikings. I have about 100 units I'm transferring to the Eastern front to liberate the Americans from their religious oppression. Since I'm concerned about a random :nuke:ing, I'm keeping them disperserd along the railroads at the moment. Plus it's easier to keep track of them that way. And it looks cool.:cool:

One factor I've thought about is that the Celts' diplomatic reputation is "atrocious," so maybe that factors into the AIs willingness to use :nuke:s. Also, I always build a few :nuke:s and just keep them around without using them. This always inhibits the AI from using them. I've never played a game where my reputation was atrocious, with both sides slinging nukes, with large stacks of units in the open, and no nukes currently in my inventory. Perhaps all these factors added up will cause the AI to :nuke: units in the open.

5. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

It it only immature if it is unintentional ;)

I am only guessing, but I think A is for aggregate. This refers to the fact that in Civ2 having more than 10 polluted squares does not by itself cause Global Warming; how many turns the pollution sticks around is also a factor.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming.

7. PierreBonaparte

PierreBonaparte Chieftain

Interesting stuff.... makes me want to get civ 2. Too bad i have too advanced of a computer:cry:.

8. Pallando

Pallando Chieftain

Is there any way to see the game that you are playing.

Will you post when you are finished?

9. Theov

Theov Deity

man did I play the crap out of civ2.
    never though did I stumble on the wastelands that this guy has created

10. Theov

Theov Deity

there is ways