1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

religions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Grimus, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Grimus

Grimus I

Anybody else really like the idea that now you can choose which religion you want to found when you're the first to research each of the required techs?

They're all the same anyway pretty much... it'll add more variety to the game instead of always seeing hinduism/buddhism/judaism as the major religions all over.

Sure, it may not be historically accurate, but it makes the game more enjoyable - for myself anyway. :goodjob:

Now if only we could change the obnoxiously loud "chants" whenever a religion is spread to a city to some type of simple, generic sound, it would be great!

EDIT: I'm sure the corporations will have some kind of generic sound when they're spread throughout cities... probably something like "cha-ching!".

2. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

Only thing I won't like about it is you won't know when people have discovered Theology for example - that would be christianity in WL.

Now, keep count of founded religions I suppose!

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I do like this idea. I am tried of these Hindu-Judae-Buddhist words.

4. Soneji

Although Christianity 1000's of years before Christ 'appeared'?

Seems a bit Irish to me!

5. largedarryl

largedarryl Prince

I don't really care. It does take away from the actual progression of religions (Judaism->Christianity->Islam), but that doesn't matter. If it maybe will stop people complaining because "I'm playing America and I'm Islam conquering a Christian Ottoman Empire."

I could really care less, but if I don't have to read anymore of those complaints I'll be happy.

6. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

The only difference between the various religions I can think of is the resource that gives 100% bonus to their version of the cathedral and that reduces the basic 300 hammer cost a lot. So when you found your religions just check which resources you have from stone/ marble/ copper.

7. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I love it. Although I know that there are no unique benefits to each religion, I just felt like it was a letdown when my Roman cities were building East Asian stupas. I also agree with Grimus: there are some chants that I love, and some that annoy me. Now I can pick the religion that please me aesthetically. Isn't that how we choose our religions in the real world anyway? ;)

8. eric_

eric_ Emperor

I just dusted off WL after reading about the new expansion (so psyched! sounds amazing). I started a game of Earth 18 civs and I'm playing as Persia. Well, Saladin founded Judaism, and it spread to my lands, Russia, and Germany. It cracks me up. I'll never get why that kind of thing bothers people in this game.

Are you also disappointed if they're building churches prior to ~400 AD? ;)

I do think pagan temples could be a cool addition. Although, I suppose they do have some (sorta) as wonders (Stonehenge, Temple of Zeus/Artemis, Parthenon, Oracle, etc). They should add the Pantheon, too, imo.

9. MRM

MRM Prince

Well - step in the right direction, but IMHO it would make more sence if religions are founded by great prophets.( but I have not sleepless nights because of this :) )

10. Panda

Panda Metal head

Personally, I would have preferred different bonuses and handicaps for religions, but that will never happen.

11. Soneji

Never lol
    Firaxis would get blown up!

12. Maverick667

Maverick667 Warlord

Kinda don't like it...

I like things to be a bit more historically accurate...

13. civzombie

civzombie Prince

"The only difference between the various religions I can think of is the resource that gives 100% bonus to their version of the cathedral and that reduces the basic 300 hammer cost a lot. So when you found your religions just check which resources you have from stone/ marble/ copper."

Hey thats a good point. This change makes cultural victory slightly more useful.

14. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

There's Espionage for that now. ;)

15. Kushluk

Kushluk Warlord

I like it. It's a cheap, ahistorical fix, however it will probably work well.

Since they removed all differences between the religions you're not really playing anywhere near realistically as an Islamic/Jewish/Christain state, so why preserve the historical pretense?

16. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

I don't like it.I like historical accuracy when possible.What's the point to found Christianity with Meditation or Islamism with Polyteism.....if it was a remedy to not have all games with Buddha/Indù civs it isn't the right tool.
    btw, i'm hopeful that with all these gameplay tweaks perhaps something will be done to tweak religion spreading

17. Soneji

I know I'll always pick Christianity though..

Islamic Scotland seems weird to me!

18. Maverick667

Maverick667 Warlord

Scotland? Lol :p

19. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Irish?
    (10Chars)

20. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Warlord

I've been lobbying since the games was only a few months old for them to add the Greco-Roman religion.