1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Republic of Texas (Texas as playable civ)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Tactician Zhao, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Tactician Zhao

Tactician Zhao Lord Strategist

Greetings,

this is my first attempt at a Civilization 4 mod, but it seems to be working so far.. though it is not 100% set in stone at this point, it is completely playable

this mod adds Texas as a playable civ for anyone who wants to play as or against them.. it includes a custom flag and still images for the leaderhead

Name: Texas
    Techs: Hunting, Agriculture
    Leader: Sam Houston (financial, aggressive)
    Unique Unit: Texas Ranger (replaces cavalry, immune to 1st strikes, starts with Sentry promotion) thanks to catwhowalksbyhi for suggestion
    Flag: the Lone Star Flag

Update: Fixed the flag so it hangs correctly as per official rules vertically, with the white on the left.. the old flag is still included, now named flagdecal_texasincorrect.dds, if you prefer that one, you can rename it to flagdecal_texas.dds.. also included is the Flag of Burnet, the first official flag of Texas, basically a yellow star on a blue flag

http://www.filegone.com/efix

You can install it by unzipping the file into your mods directory (will create a directory called "Republic of Texas"), then you can load the mod through the advanced menu in Civilization 4.

here are a few screenshots
    civselect.jpg
    updatedflag.jpg

I know overall this is nothing special, but I figured there might be a few people out there who might get something out of it

edit: I skinned the Texas Ranger and I think it looks okay.. I'm trying to find a place to host the zip file, as its now over the 500kb limit.. so heres a screenshot for now, until I can get the new archive uploaded somewhere

2. catwhowalksbyhi

catwhowalksbyhi Chieftain

I'm not a Texan, but how about the Texas Rangers? More of a police than military unit today, but, in there original incarnation, they might be fitting.

3. Tactician Zhao

wow, good call.. that didn't even cross my mind, but is pretty appropriate.. thanks

4. zavarik

zavarik Chieftain

as a biased opinion (live near Dallas, Texas), Good Job! I thought the idea was pretty clever and I second the idea of the Texas Ranger.

5. Anima Croatorum

Anima Croatorum Chieftain

GO TEXAS RANGERS! A Chuck Norris sprite would kick a§§ big time.

6. catwhowalksbyhi

I was thinking old west Texas Rangers, actually. Could replace calvary.

Glad you all like the idea.

7. Tactician Zhao

I was thinking cavalry as well.. I have the updated version up now, using the default cavalry graphic.. I'm going to work on skinning it ASAP

for special properties, I gave them immunity to first strikes (as they did not wear standard uniforms, and were often upon enemies before they could react), and start with the Sentry promotion (as they were often used as scouts)

If anyone has a better idea for special abilities let me know.. I'm not sure if those two I used really unbalance them much, but I hope not.. any input is welcomed, as usual.. meanwhile, I'll see what I can do about a custom graphic

8. Tactician Zhao

ok, got the Texas Ranger in all the way, complete with a unique graphic.. looking more like the old west version than Chuck Norris, though :p

9. mayonaise

mayonaise Chieftain

i have to cast my vote for a walker, texas ranger UU, with nunchukas

10. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

11. KabeDerlin

KabeDerlin Chieftain

Awesome! I'm a native Texas and I was hoping someone would do this. Awesome work. I'm gonna play it now.

12. Tactician Zhao

thanks, thats a lot better.. got the download changed to there now

13. catwhowalksbyhi

The Rangers look good. Good job.

14. AustinS2k2003

AustinS2k2003 Chieftain

Great mod pack; I'm loving the flags and the cities (Austin is my home). Great work! Maybe you should have Rick Perry as the leader or Tom Delay, George Bush (I or II) :D J/J I hate both all jokers

15. Anima Croatorum

Anima Croatorum Chieftain

Second leader... Chuck Norris is from Oklahoma, how bout that Kinky Friedman guy then?

16. Makahlua

Makahlua Chieftain

ZOMG! :eek:

Awesomeness! When I first played as AMerica after I got CIV, I looked over at it's single star flag and thought "You know the Texas flag would look awesome there.." ... but of course I was too lazy to do it myself ^^

From yet another (biased) Texan posting in this thread, thanks lots! :goodjob:

17. zavarik

zavarik Chieftain

so far, no errors playing with this mod, just fyi :)
    and Texas took over the Romans :goodjob: Emporer Houston at your service.

18. Pipian

Pipian Chieftain

Texas might not be balanced with Inca (given that they have the same type), as the Inca get only a very-early-game UU which won't get as much use save on a small map, compared to the Ranger. Perhaps in combination with this mod, the Quechua should be moved up to replace Macemen and keep a 75% Archery bonus (instead of the 100%, which still makes it more effective than any other Archery unit during the Medieval period, but isn't too overpowered compared to other units at the time) and perhaps lower the cost slightly instead of bumping to 100% bonus if it's not quite balanced there?

19. mcinspector

mcinspector Chieftain

Thanks for mod pack, as a native Texan I've always renamed my Leader to General Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas... Thankfully somebody knows a lot more about modding than me... Thanks again...

20. Tactician Zhao

glad people are enjoying it.. more people than I would have guessed..

someone needs to make Hawaii now, since it was the only other state, to my knowledge, to be a sovereign nation :p