Republic of Texas (Texas as playable civ)

Tactician Zhao

Lord Strategist
Greetings,

this is my first attempt at a Civilization 4 mod, but it seems to be working so far.. though it is not 100% set in stone at this point, it is completely playable

this mod adds Texas as a playable civ for anyone who wants to play as or against them.. it includes a custom flag and still images for the leaderhead

Name: Texas
Techs: Hunting, Agriculture
Leader: Sam Houston (financial, aggressive)
Unique Unit: Texas Ranger (replaces cavalry, immune to 1st strikes, starts with Sentry promotion) thanks to catwhowalksbyhi for suggestion
Flag: the Lone Star Flag

Update: Fixed the flag so it hangs correctly as per official rules vertically, with the white on the left.. the old flag is still included, now named flagdecal_texasincorrect.dds, if you prefer that one, you can rename it to flagdecal_texas.dds.. also included is the Flag of Burnet, the first official flag of Texas, basically a yellow star on a blue flag

http://www.filegone.com/efix

You can install it by unzipping the file into your mods directory (will create a directory called "Republic of Texas"), then you can load the mod through the advanced menu in Civilization 4.

here are a few screenshots
civselect.jpg
updatedflag.jpg

I know overall this is nothing special, but I figured there might be a few people out there who might get something out of it

edit: I skinned the Texas Ranger and I think it looks okay.. I'm trying to find a place to host the zip file, as its now over the 500kb limit.. so heres a screenshot for now, until I can get the new archive uploaded somewhere

I'm not a Texan, but how about the Texas Rangers? More of a police than military unit today, but, in there original incarnation, they might be fitting.

catwhowalksbyhi said:
I'm not a Texan, but how about the Texas Rangers? More of a police than military unit today, but, in there original incarnation, they might be fitting.

wow, good call.. that didn't even cross my mind, but is pretty appropriate.. thanks

as a biased opinion (live near Dallas, Texas), Good Job! I thought the idea was pretty clever and I second the idea of the Texas Ranger.

catwhowalksbyhi said:
I was thinking old west Texas Rangers, actually. Could replace calvary.

Glad you all like the idea.

I was thinking cavalry as well.. I have the updated version up now, using the default cavalry graphic.. I'm going to work on skinning it ASAP

for special properties, I gave them immunity to first strikes (as they did not wear standard uniforms, and were often upon enemies before they could react), and start with the Sentry promotion (as they were often used as scouts)

If anyone has a better idea for special abilities let me know.. I'm not sure if those two I used really unbalance them much, but I hope not.. any input is welcomed, as usual.. meanwhile, I'll see what I can do about a custom graphic

ok, got the Texas Ranger in all the way, complete with a unique graphic.. looking more like the old west version than Chuck Norris, though :p

Awesome! I'm a native Texas and I was hoping someone would do this. Awesome work. I'm gonna play it now.

Jecrell said:
I recommend www.filegone.com for uploading files at this point Zhao. :)

thanks, thats a lot better.. got the download changed to there now

Great mod pack; I'm loving the flags and the cities (Austin is my home). Great work! Maybe you should have Rick Perry as the leader or Tom Delay, George Bush (I or II) :D J/J I hate both all jokers

ZOMG! :eek:

Awesomeness! When I first played as AMerica after I got CIV, I looked over at it's single star flag and thought "You know the Texas flag would look awesome there.." ... but of course I was too lazy to do it myself ^^

From yet another (biased) Texan posting in this thread, thanks lots! :goodjob:

so far, no errors playing with this mod, just fyi :)
and Texas took over the Romans :goodjob: Emporer Houston at your service.

Texas might not be balanced with Inca (given that they have the same type), as the Inca get only a very-early-game UU which won't get as much use save on a small map, compared to the Ranger. Perhaps in combination with this mod, the Quechua should be moved up to replace Macemen and keep a 75% Archery bonus (instead of the 100%, which still makes it more effective than any other Archery unit during the Medieval period, but isn't too overpowered compared to other units at the time) and perhaps lower the cost slightly instead of bumping to 100% bonus if it's not quite balanced there?

Thanks for mod pack, as a native Texan I've always renamed my Leader to General Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas... Thankfully somebody knows a lot more about modding than me... Thanks again...

glad people are enjoying it.. more people than I would have guessed..

someone needs to make Hawaii now, since it was the only other state, to my knowledge, to be a sovereign nation :p

Top Bottom