1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Requested Mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Alex_K, Sep 23, 2010.

1. DariushArdavan

DariushArdavan Chieftain

I would like to see a mod centering around warfare.

Occupying land with units:
    for instance I think it should be possible for units to occupy land without capturing a city. making it possible to advance into enemy lands and capture recourses for instance. this of course could be limited so that you cannot occupy the lands 1 or maybe 2 tiles near a city without occupying the city itself. maybe?...

Units run obsolete:
    I find it very redicilous when a unit that is highly technologically superior to another unit has to put up a fight or is hurt by a unit that in real life would not stand a chance, literally. for instance riflemen vs a jetfighter? I can accept that the unit survives the attack but that the jetfighter is damaged would be impossible in a real life scenario thus makes the game less realistic. there could be a number of examples but i dont wanna mumble on... maybe something that could be fixed?

Emerging citystates:
    I think it would be very interesting to enable the emergence of citystates after concuest. in civ5 we now have the choise to either annex a concuerd city or make it a puppet, or if one wish to, destroy. I really like the concept of the puppetstates since many empires governed their concuerd lands this way but to contradiction to real life many of these puppetstates would revolt against their concuerer occasianolly. for instance there were three major rebellions in babylon against the achamenedic persian empire. so I think it would add a little exitment to the game if puppetstates occasionally could revolt forming independent citystates if ones empire would be (for instance) unhappy for a time. maybe somthing?

I really like the new concept of citystates since it brings a very known fact to the game, that the world does not soly consist of a few large empires but also a large number of smaller ones.
    to enable smaller empires to emerge from larger ones brings another known fact to the game and that would be that a large empire wich is not well gouverned falls into smaller empires and thus sieze to exist.

now I have no idea how this modding stuff works so I have no idea how hard this would be to do but perhaps it does not sound to booring and perhaps it cought someones interest. :)

2. happy.happy

happy.happy Chieftain

Any way to get this Civ IV mod to work with Civ V?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=200996

I've been trying for the past week but my limited knowledge of the modding things is really getting in the way of any form of progress, if I try any more I might accidentally set my kitchen on fire or something.

3. Perkus

Perkus Prince

@happy.happy:

You could *probably* achieve that by preventing anyone from making settlers like this:

PHP:
        <UnitClasses>
            <
    Update>
                <
    Where Type="UNITCLASS_SETTLER"/>
                <
    Set MaxPlayerInstances="0" />
            </
    Update>
        </
    UnitClasses>
    EDIT: Ok, I see that mod does quite a bit more than that. You could give city walls a really high defensive value to make cities almost uncapturable. That wouldn't stop AI from attempting it, of course. Yeah if you want to prevent capturing, it's a lot trickier, you'd have to change AI weights, etc.

4. Describer

Describer Chieftain

Request for a small mod - give us ability to rename puppets. I've always renamed my conquered cities to names of civ i'm currently playing, in previous versions.

5. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

From Civ3, updated versions of RFRE, DyP/RnR, Warhammer (all of which I still play); from Civ4, FFH (the only reason I kept playing Civ4).

These were all brilliant mods using the less advanced modding tools now available. The OP mentioned a MoM mod, which i too would like to see. However, group based tactical combat is the heart of MoM and hard to see Civ5 getting close to that. Still, any fantasy mod would be very welcome.

6. Master_Chaz

Master_Chaz Chieftain

HOTSEAT!
    HOTSEAT!!
    HOTSEAT!!!

Does anyone know how to redesign the vanilla version of civ5 to allow multiplayer hotseat?
    I'm craving some HOTSEAT!

7. Data662

Data662 Chieftain

Mussolini and Hirohito plz!!!!!!!

8. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Don't get your hopes up for Warhammer or FfH; In the first case, Games Workshop is VERY protective of their IP and would not appreciate it being distributed inside of another game. I would expect a cease and desist letter. In the second, Kael has moved on to Elemental, and AFAIK none of the FfH mod- or modmodders want to recreate FfH without him.

There will, however, be fantasy mods. ;)

9. LordTC

LordTC Warlord

I'd like a mod designed for an EPIC game lasting a long number of turns.. the kind of game one plays a few hours a day for months.

Ideally it would be set up to have a summer turn and a winter turn for every single year, although 1 turn per year might work easier, especially as dealing with seasonal terrain in CiV is probably rather awkard.

In order to do this the tech tree, buildings list, and unit availability would have to be widely expanded. There would probably also have to be a major rebalancing and improving of the AI. If the AI is still atrocious at combat it will just be too easy to win quickly with so much extra unit movement available. Also, not expanding the techs and such enough will feel like CiV on Marathon, a bunch of clicking end turn over and over without accomplishing anything.

Roughly speaking, I'd like a mod that makes me feel that I'm actually managing my cities over millenia, rather than taking 400 years to build one wonder that took 2-5 years in real life. The way the turn system works destroys a lot of the realism feel for me in Civ. It really bugs me that people can work at producing resources for a city in a tile that is 20 years worth of unit movement away. Collapsing the turn system so heavily to allow games to finish quickly is unfortunate.

10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Well, we're not gonna be able to do that (decently) for a while, so this isn't going to really happen soon.

11. The Rusty Gamer

The Rusty Gamer Prince

No specific length on open border or other agreements unless specifcally stated at the time of making the agreement. Perhaps an algorithm where a civ will curtail an open border agreement if they feel you are getting better advantage of it, say you are exploring their territory alot more than they are yours. It could even be they have more territory physically therefore it is not to their advantage to make the agreement or once they have explored all yours they don't see the point in continuing. The same kind of reasoning could apply to research agreements and such. Do they have more of an advantage over you in making such an agreement? Lower levesl of difficulty, they wouldn't be so fussed.

12. thievingliar

thievingliar Chieftain

If there were any end of the world mods/scenarios I think it would be cool...there were a few throughout civ 4 and civ 3 and I would love to see them brought back!

Anything involving the rebuilding of Civilization.
    Examples:

1. Zombie Apocalypse(Zombies as a faction, many other groups all trying to rebuild)

2. Post-Nuclear War(Mainly the same as Zombies)

3. Alien Invasion (Human resistance?)

Those tend to be pretty cool scenarios, would love to see some!

13. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I want a game similar to fall from Heaven 2 here in Civ 5, however I noticed that won't happen till a few years and expansion packs due to how I see not so many mods appearing at a fast rate similar to how Civ 4 modding was done, including minor mods with few features.

14. Valkrionn

No, it will happen almost immediately once we get access to the DLL.

That is what is being waited on. And that is what allowed large mods for Civ4... Which, similarly, did not have too many large scale mods until the DLL was released.

15. wolfman1234

wolfman1234 King

Hey, no need for FFH then, what about "Forgotten Realms", "Dragronlance" or "A song of Ice and Fire"?

This is a work for you, man. :)

So much faerun maps in all civs , but no mod nor scenario ever. It´s a pity. :(

16. Valkrionn

Nah. I already have a fantasy mod to work on. In our own setting, rather than using someone else's. ;)

17. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

I feel where you are coming from and I would love a mod like this myself. I am an inexperienced coder but I am planning some ideas for a mod that would address some of your (and my) wishes. :)

18. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I might try it out if it's as addictive and good like Fall from Heaven 2, I've played only FfH 2 and Rise of Mankind mostly in Civ 4. If it's good, then I'll play it more often...

19. Grathocke

Grathocke Marquis

You've got some good points. Occupying land was featured in A New Dawn, a modmod of Rise of Mankind for BTS. I didn't play vanilla ROM very long, so I'm not sure if it had the feature as well or not.

I think there was some version of obsolescence, but can't remember for sure. I am sure that units could still be injured, but they wouldn't be destroyed.

3rd point: what you describe is very much like Revolutions mod in BTS.

Hopefully, some of the authors of those works will port them over to Civ V. If not, then maybe someone who understands more about programming than I do (which is next to nothing) will get the authors' permission and bring these great ideas over.

20. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

Is there any way to mute that annoying, "clicking" bump noise the game makes whenever I select something?