1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Requested Mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Alex_K, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ashvin.l

ashvin.l ITendToLoseALot

At the heart of Civ is you making autocratic decisions. No matter what govt you are running, you are always running despotism. This seems completely unrealistic.

I have thought more about democracy, but I am sure that some thought can be given to other forms of government as well. For example, if a player chooses democracy, there should be some notion of "people's choice".

For example,

1. One cannot autocratically decide to go to war with anyone. It should be based on the mutual feelings associated with the country. For example, we can say, if you choose democracy, you cannot declare war on any country that is friendly. The player has to come up with innovative strategies to force countries to go to war with him/her. This can be further enhanced by penalizing the player at higher levels. For example, at diety you can only declare war on Hostile countries.

2. Approval rating should be of some use. Right now it is simply a statistic. Approval rating should be used to determine whether the president has been good or bad. If the approval rating falls below a particular value, every city will decide for itself what to build (equivalent of kicking the president out of office).

3. Unhappiness is of little significance in the modern era since your cities already grown up and player can simply ignore it. Yes the cities grows slower, but if you are already at size 15-20, who cares? To make the player care, happiness should be again tied to being able to make decisions. If the empire is unhappy, president gets booted out and cities start building happiness buildings.

On Early Rush:

Man did not learn to play sophisticated warfare from day 1. The same should be reflected somehow in the game. This is especially true, since the computer is not programmed to do a early rush (if it does, it is impossible to win at higher levels).

To prevent early rush, I propose the following

1. In the beginning, military units can only explore automated. Cannot be controlled by the player. Wars cannot be declared

2. Two new technologies
    A. Organized Military Code: Allows control of the military units
    B. War Tactics: Enables DoW.

OMC is placed after mining, before Bronze Working. War Tactics are placed after writing, with a prereq of OMC.

Kindly provide your comments.

2. Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus Chieftain

What I would really like to see is a system that changes the basic formula for how happiness is calculated depending on what kind of social policies you are running. For example, if you're running Order, unhappiness is not based on your population, but on the populations of OTHER civs... or if you're running Piety, happiness is static per city and decreases based on the number of religious buildings... or for Freedom, unhappiness/happiness increases based on distance. Running commerce, happiness depends on the number of trade agreements.

This is an infant idea... obviously none of these would probably work well as they are. But maybe with these examples you can kind of get what I'm looking for.

I want to figure out how to do this myself, but unfortunately law school is eating up all of my brain power for the next two and a half years.

3. Rosencavalier

Rosencavalier Chieftain

I'd like to see a mod that include more modern buildings like the airport. If I can have a stealth bomber, why can I not move units by air in the future era. Kinda silly don't you thnk.

4. HeZma

HeZma Chieftain

I'm a big fan of civilization games (including Alpha Centauri) and it is pleasure to see that many mods are already in the making. If I should choose one mod which I would like to see it is "Rise of the Mankind", because almost all changed mentioned below are already done in that. However, Some of the changes below never will be modded and I don't have skills for that :/ I haven't read all comments, but these are the things I would wish to have in a Civ 5 mod (I'm sorry about all misspellings... English is not my first language):

Big Changes:
    - Religions. I liked religions in Civilization IV and how they affect to diplomacy. However, I would like to expand the idea more. I know this is not politically correct, but I think different religions should have different bonuses. For example, adapting Buddhism you could get +2 culture and +2 unhappiness if you are at war. Or Christianity could provide a crusader military unit with you can spread Christianity to your cities, but this would decrease the population in the city. Purging should be available.
    - Espionage. Basically bring everything back from previous civilization games and alpha centauri. I especially loved in Alpha Centauri how you can frame other civilization.
    - Better diplomacy. This is the one thing which has never been good enough in civilization games and now in Civ5 it is even worse. Probably the best (read: most diverse) diplomacy was in Alpha Centauri (not just in the diplomacy screen, but also in other parts of the game). Also I would like to see an answer to question "why?". Why something is happening? Why they start a war against me? Why they don't want to trade with me? For example, they could say "I don't like you because of war against our friend Greek or "We want to conquest city1 from Egypt because it would increase our trade routes. Join us in the war and you won't regret!". Also how you and your enemies could avoid a war... like, "Give us 500 gold and city1 or we will crush you like a bug!".
    - Vassal states. Yes, we have now puppet states in Civ5, but it just doesn't feel the same. I liked in Civ4 that I was able to control (slightly) my vassal states. Of course, this could be improved, for example adding possible to actually demand vassal state to follow your religion (not like in Civ4 where they did that for 10 turns and then changed to back) and option to liberate your vassal states. Of course, giving too many demands to vassal state would cause lot's of unhappiness in them and maybe even independence war.
    - Ideologies. Could act in a same way as religions, but later in the game. Communism, fascism, capitalism, fundamentalism etc.. I would like to see a "Cold War" dividing the world. Maybe also some kind of unions (militaristic, political and economic) for different ideologies could be established as well?
    - Civil- and independence wars. Countries with lots of unhappiness or lands too far away might cause civil wars. Ideologies and religion differences might cause this as well. Unhappiness in vassal states might cause independence wars. Also I would like to see why something is happening... what they are fighting for and how can I avoid / stop the war? For example, "We, city1 and city2, want to be part of Russia, let us join them or prepare to the war!", or "Islam is the only true religion, give your life to Allah's hands or prepare to war!". Other players could support rebels or fight against them.

Smaller changes:
    - Changing the social policies without culture points. I like new social policy tree and advancing them with culture points. However, I think player should be able to change to already discovered social policy trees without using culture points for them. There could be anarchy for a few turns when this is done.
    - Small stacking. I actually really like the new system that you can't stack units, but sometimes it is pain in the ass move them around. I wish player could stack maybe 2 units (+ worker, great general) in a one hex. However, if there would be more than one unit in one hex square long distance units could damage both units.
    - Every civilization should have more differences. For example, Japan has only "Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged." benefit. Maybe adding a one or two more?
    - Able to make friends and alliances. Ok, maybe I don't just understand how the friendship works in Civ5, but it seems to be impossible to make a friend once the civilization has something against you. At least it seems to me that if I have started a war against one civilization beginning of the game, it will haunt you for the rest of the game and nobody trusts you. I have never been able to even establish defensive pact with anyone...
    - Improved trading. At least have map exchanging option back... I don't see any good reason why this couldn't be implemented. Techonology trading would be nice as well.
    - Able to cancel agreements anytime. This could harm the relationship with the civilization you have the agreement with and maybe small sum of gold is lost, but it should be available.

5. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Me, Id like a mod that extend the game into the future age. who knows why some genius decided to put a giant death robot that was 3X as powerful as any other ground unit without any other future tech.

I liked ROM2 for have not 1 but 2 full future eras (it had a Transhuman Era between modern and future) plus loads of future buildings and units.

6. Grathocke

Grathocke Marquis

War in a democracy or republic should be tied to a "vote" by the Senate, Diet, Parliament, or whatever. Also, they should have input, even to the point of changing policies on their own. It seems the latter could be done with random events such as we had in Civ4. I'm not sure how you would do Senate votes, but I'm sure some smart person here could figure it out.

7. trotty

trotty Cabarettista ghei

there is the lack of all the great mods done for civ4, revolution, quot capita, fall from heaven... i understand that some of them will be official and will need some bucks, but cam'on.....

8. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Trotty, the lack of large scale mods is due to the current lack of DLL access. All the mods you listed (and other large mods such as Rise of Mankind, Planetfall, Dunewars, etc) made heavy use of DLL modifications.

We should have access to it soon*, at which point far more ambitious mods will start appearing.

*We have no idea when the DLL will come. Best I can find is "early 2011".

9. trotty

trotty Cabarettista ghei

ah, interesting! I tought it was an economic maneuver... maybe it is

10. Valkrionn

Nah, same thing happened with Civ4. Takes a little while to clean up the code and get it ready for public viewing, making sure that all third-party licensed material is locked up tight in the exe, so on.

11. LetMyPeopleGo

LetMyPeopleGo Prince

About a probably abandoned mod,

One of the mods I like to play a lot might been abandoned, I'm not sure yet, only eight days since the last post from the modder.

If it turns out to be the case can I ask for some little help to fix a minor problem which I have no clue how to approach?

12. WNxPowder

WNxPowder Chieftain

a fix to when i trade, wanting one lux. resourse and they want all of mine in return.

13. kane65

kane65 Chieftain

I'd like to see a mod that shows unit promotions in the tooltip on mouseover. They clutter the screen too much when they are always on as in the FlagPromotions mod. The "All Promotions description tooltip" doesn't seem to do it. I also use Legions mod and I think a tooltip promotion list would be more compatible. Thanks to anyone who adopts the project.

14. CaptainKapow

CaptainKapow Immortal

I'd love to see a mod that:

Changes Crossbowman ranged promotions to melee when upgrading to a Rifleman.

I've tried a couple mods where they changed it so that crossbowmen upgraded to cannons but I kind of like the upgrade to rifleman better. The problem is that the riflemen keep their old ranged promotions that are useless to them.

One possible fix to this might be to just make it so that when a crossbowman is upgraded all of it's exp-related promotions are removed and it can be upgraded again with whatever exp it had.

Thanks much.

15. hungup_99

hungup_99 Chieftain

I'd like to see a mod where unit strengths are more dependent on what resources are used to build it. i.e. in original game you can build an axeman if you have access to copper or iron, and submarine with oil or uranium but the units have the same properties. It'd be nice if an axeman or swordsman that is built using iron would be more powerful than those built using copper (as copper is a softer metal than iron). Or in the case of the submarine if you have access to uranium the sub would be more powerful and/or faster/stealthier than those built using oil/diesel. The differences in strength between some units wouldn't necessarily be a lot, as a sword made out of any material isn't going to be a whole lot better or worse than any other sword made of something else, but it would add some variety I believe and make varying resources that much more important/contentious when multiple civilizations are in the same era as each civilization would be trying to get that extra little edge over their opponents.

Also I like the idea of arms trading using something like a blueprint as described in this mod idea: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=258879
    To be able to sell plans for weaponry like a resource is a very interesting idea.

16. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

I just want something simple...

can we mod it so that City States don't raze the cities they capture? I just love pimping out CS's with all kinds of weaponry and watching them take over the world! Only problem is they usually raze cities :(

17. ijohn83

ijohn83 Chieftain

The mod I would like to see is also simple, but I think could open up the experience, so I will ask, can anyone create a mod, or know of a mod, that will allow for a multiplayer game in an "old school" sense, i.e., just on a single computer, two to twelve people could play? It seems simple, partially as online multiplaying exists and because it is turn based, but I was surprised to see there was no option for letting a friend and I bide our time before destroying one another, and Civilization V seems like a good progression from a strategy board game.

That genuine hope aside, I think a useful mod would find a way to make use of the obsolete "strategic resources", and, perhaps, allow for tech or buildings to artificially manufacture other resources, at a big cost in productivity. After a certain point, iron and horses do become useless, so it could be good if there was, say, a glue factory for turning those horses into extra productivity and, honestly, to change the modern armor from "aluminum" to steel and use iron as the base for creating that steel with a smelter, and, perhaps, a chemistry lab for creating synthetic oil. I think it is a good idea because it can help eliminate a lot of the imbalance from the late game, where not having access to aluminum and oil can mean being outgunned "severely". The creation of synthetic materials could be akin to the Wealth and Research improvements, where some percentage of production is used to maintain the supply.

18. Valkrionn

What you ask for is a Hot Seat mode; Not possible as a mod, but Firaxis has stated it will be included in a patch.

19. shinyhalo

shinyhalo Chieftain

I request a WW2 mod that plays like the "Wars of the Bronze Age" mod.
    Specifically, I need:
    1. The game should play with the WotBA ultra slow pace so I can get in 500 turns at least before the Industrial age techs run out.
    2. A hardcoded block of technologies beyond the Industrial Age (like WotBA blocks progression) and infinite loops the last column of techs
    3. I think the vanilla game comes with an Earth map? But does it assign nations to close to their real-life locations? If not I would want that too.
    4. The players should all start out with none of the Industrial age techs, but all the prereq techs for them.

I may post this request in the WotBA thread too since that author has done most of these mods already.

Thanks

20. Creation27

Creation27 Chieftain

Surely someone has brought up the idea of bringing back the Zombie Mod?