Resources not working--wrong names/art

LeHam

Prince
I tried adding resources to my mod from another. I copied over the CIV4BonusInfos.xml and CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml in the Terrain folder, CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml in the Art folder (in the Assets folder), and CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_Bonuses.xml in the Text folder.

Yet, when I load my mod, some of the new resources don't have art for them on the landscape (they're just pink dots) or in the Civilopedia, and some of them have names like TEXT_KEY_RESOURCE_TOBACCO or whatever.

What could be causing this? Did I forget something?

Yes, you forgot something. (If you didn't, it would work...)

You need the .dds files that hold the actual art that is pointed to by the references in the art defines XML files - that covers icons/buttons. You also need any .nif and .kfm files pointed to for the 3-d models and animations (if any) - that covers the on-map models and the 3-d view of it in the civilopedia. Note that these things are not necessarily in the Art folder since they are often packed into an .fpk file (which is something like a zip file) which you need PakBuild to unpack.

To get the actual text instead of TXT_KEY_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you need to have the matching stuff from the appropriate files in the Text folder. Either the entire file (although that could have unwanted side effects) or just copying the entries you need.

And another important thing: you need to have GameFont.tga and GameFont_75.tga files that have icons for your resources. Those are in the Assets\res\Fonts folder. These two files are image files in the TGA format and they are very picky - they have invisible things in them that are very important (color coded borders that are made fully transparent - these must be magenta: 100% red and blue, 0% green, and 100% transparent (or 0% opaque); there are also Cyan dots: 100% green and blue, 0% red, and also 100% transparent). If you need to merge two or more of these files it is often difficult, lucky for you Asaf has a new Game Font Editor in beta test over in the Utility Programs sub-forum.

Well, I have all the resources showing up on the map, but Tobacco and Cotton still have TXT_KEY_"" as their name, even thought the text for all the other resources is in the same file and they all work fine. I've copied the 'CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_Bonuses' xml from the Text folder in the other mod but it still is not using the right name.

That suggests to me that the XML isn't being loaded on initialization. Did you try disabling caching in the main INI file?

Do you mean the [Modname].ini.bak file that was created? I don't see anything about caching in there.

No, I mean \Documents\Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini

I tried disabling caching but still the mod does not show the right names. I might just copy over the xml files again to make sure . . .

I'm not sure if it's worth noting, but the mod I am copying it from has enhanced graphics (I think taken from Colonization, if that makes any difference as to how resources would work. They've also added some effects in a separate folder, as well as something called New_Resources_Atlas.dds in the Assets/art folder, which I already put in but cotton and tobacco still don't work.

No, still doesn't work, although I've noticed he added a different CIV4ArtDefinesSchema.xml in the "Earth 35 Civs\Assets\Modules\Varietas Delectat\XML\UnitArt" folder.

Top Bottom