Reverse engineering likely Civs based on “Associated Wonders.”

moysturfurmer

Emperor
So in Civ VII it seems like all the civs have “Associated Wonders” that they get bonuses to building. With that in mind, what are some likely inclusions of civs based on revealed or almost-guaranteed wonders?

Revealed

Statue of Liberty - America
Eiffel Tower - France
Hanging Gardens - Babylon
Brandenberg Gage - Germany
Oracle - Greece
Colossus - Greece
Dur Sharrukin - Assyria
Borobudur - Java
Forbidden City - Ming/Qing China
Great Wall - Qin China
Petra - Bedouin Arabia?
Tower of London - Normans
Machu Pichu - Inca
Palacio des Bellas Artes - Mexico

Gotta be in at some point

Stonehenge - Celts/Iceni?
Big Ben - Britain
Cristo Redentor - Brazil

I don't necessarily think ALL wonders will be directly associated with a civ. Particularly because one wonder per civ is a bit of a low number for the likes of Egypt and Greece.

I added rough dates and separated them out into eras.

-----Ancient -------
Pyramids (2500 BC) - Egypt - Confirmed
Dur-Sharrukin (706 BC) - Assyria
Oracle (800 BC?) - Mycenaean Greece
Hanging Gardens (600 BCish) - Babylon
Gate of All Nations (465 BC) - Achaemenid Persia
Petra (400 BC?) - Nabataeans
Sanchi Stupa (300 BC) - Maurya Empire - Confirmed
Colossus (280 BC) - Greece? Rhodes?
Terracotta Army (210 BC) - Qin China
Weiyang Palace (200 BC) - Han China
Colosseum (80 AD) - Rome - Confirmed
Mundo Perdido (100ish AD) - Maya - Confirmed
Pyramid of the Sun (200 AD) - Teotihuacan?
Great Stele (450ish AD) - Aksum - Confirmed

---- Exploration -----

Nalanda (427 AD) - Gupta Empire
Borobudur (450 AD) - Mataram
Mausoleum of Theodoric (520 AD) - Ostrogoth
Emile Bell (771 AD) - Silla
House of Wisdom (820ish AD) - Abbasid - Confirmed
Brihadisvara Temple (1010 AD) - Chola - Confirmed
Tower of London (1066 AD) - Normans - Confirmed
Angkor Wat (1150 AD) - Khmer
Ha'amonga 'A Maui (1200 AD) - Tonga
Serpent Mound (1200 AD) - Shawnee - Confirmed
Notre Dame Cathedral (1260 AD) - Exploration France
Forbidden City (1420 AD) - Ming China
Machu Picchu (1450ish AD) - Inca
Tomb of Askia (1500 AD) - Songhai Empire - Confirmed
El Escorial (1584 AD) - Spain
Erdene Zuu Monastery (1585 AD) - Mongolia - Confirmed

------ Modern ----

Red Fort (1639 AD) - Mughals
Taj Mahal (1648 AD) - Mughals
Oxford University (1749 AD) - British Empire?
Summer Palace (1764 AD) - Qing China
Hermitage (1766 AD) - Modern Russia?
Brandenburg Gate (1791 AD) - Prussia/Germany
Kasubi Tombs (1882 AD) - Buganda - Confirmed
Statue of Liberty (1886 AD) - United States
Eiffel Tower (1889 AD) - Modern France
Dogo Onsen (1899 AD) - Meiji Japan - Confirmed
Palacio De Bellas Artes (1934 AD) - Modern Mexico

Cahokia?

Oh certainly not. But I do wonder if all Civs would have one associated wonder.
Seems so, considering the 5 revealed on the game guide page so far all have one.

Associated Wonder seem to be a wonder that civilization have a bonus and/or have the option to build them earlier than other civs, but not exclusive. There will likely be some amount of wonders not associated with any civ, but even if all are associated, every game not all existent civilizations are in, so their associated wonders would end up being part of the same wonder race for everyone else.

I am not sure if the division into the ages as seen above is correct?

Mausoleum, Emile Bell and Nalanda were spoiled by Ursa Ryan, and they only had access to an Antiquity Era build, which could place them there.

Also, there's a very good chance several wonders are unassociated.

I am not sure if the division into the ages as seen above is correct?

Mausoleum, Emile Bell and Nalanda were spoiled by Ursa Ryan, and they only had access to an Antiquity Era build, which could place them there.

Also, there's a very good chance several wonders are unassociated.
Did he see them in game, or did he try snooping in the Civilopedia? Could have sworn he said the latter

Did he see them in game, or did he try snooping in the Civilopedia? Could have sworn he said the latter
The latter. But his media build was locked to Antiquity and wouldn't show anything in the Civilopedia after that.

The latter. But his media build was locked to Antiquity and wouldn't show anything in the Civilopedia after that.
I was ready to say no, but after looking through his list, I think that's true. Here is the full list he said that he found:
  • Colosseum
  • Colossus
  • Dur-Sharrukin
  • Emile Bell
  • Great Stele
  • Ha'amonga 'a Maui
  • Hanging Gardens
  • Mausoleum Theodoric
  • Nalanda
  • Petra
  • Pyramids of the Sun
  • Pyramids
  • Sanchi Stupa
  • Terracotta Army
As you can see, all of those are older wonders. I believe we can extrapolate the civs as being Ancient civs. So we can probably expect Teotihuacan instead of the Aztecs, and Tonga instead of Hawaii, for example (I'm saying that bc we could have some discrepancies between the civ and their correspondent wonder, like the Shawnee, who didn't actually built the Serpent Mound IRL).

I also think that, if we can pinpoint a civ in Ancient eras, we can expect at least a natural successor in the Exploration Age. Like the Aztecs for Teotihuacan, Hawaii for Tonga, Goryeo or Joseon for Silla, etc.

like the Shawnee, who didn't actually built the Serpent Mound IRL
Well, who may or may not have built Serpent Mound IRL. It's still debated whether Serpent Mound should be associated with the Adena or Fort Ancient culture, though it's pretty well (but not universally) accepted that Fort Ancient should be considered the ethnogenesis of the Shawnee.

Goryeo or Joseon for Silla
Given their avoidance of modern nation states and the beginning of Modern in the 18th century, I'm expecting Silla > Goryeo > Joseon--though perhaps not as a complete chain on release.

These would be my guesses for the base game, based on wonders and assuming 14 per era (15 for Exploration because Shawnee DLC). Bold are fully confirmed civs, italics are pure guesses on my own part. This is what I think is likely, not what I think should be, so don't hate me for putting in "Polynesia" instead of Tonga or Hawaii (I think it's likely because we've seen both Tongan and Hawaiian elements in one shot and have my doubts that we'll get two Polynesian civs with the base game).

I roughly ordered them by possible succession and I used some blank spots to facilitate this, but civs being in the same line doesn't necessarily mean I think they will be "historic" successors ingame.

AncientExplorationModern
Goths - Mausoleum of Theodoric--Germany - Brandenburg Gate
--FranksFrance - Eiffel Tower
--Normans - Tower of LondonBritain - Oxford University
Mississippians - CahokiaShawnee - Serpent Mound (DLC)America - Statue of Liberty
Maya - Mundo PerdidoAztecs--
Polynesia - Ha'amonga 'A MauiInca - Machu Picchu--
--Spain - El EscorialMexico - Palacio de Bellas Artes
Rome - ColosseumPortugalBrazil
Greece - OracleByzantiumRussia - Hermitage
Assyria - Dur SharrukinMongolia - Erdene Zuu Monastery--
Han - Weiyang PalaceMing - Forbidden CityQing - Summer Palace
Silla - Emile BellEdo JapanMeiji Japan - Dogo Onsen
Khmer - Angkor WatIndonesia - BorobudurSiam
Maurya - Sanchi StupaChola - Brihadisvara TempleMughals - Red Fort
Persia - Gate of All NationsAbbasids - House of WisdomOttomans
Egypt - PyramidsSonghai - Tomb of AskiaBuganda - Kasubi Tombs
Aksum - Great Stele--Ethiopia

Last edited:
Is Statue of Liberty confirmed for America? How about it being associated with France and allowed them to build it for another civ granting a bonus to both civs.

Hover Dam or River Rouge would be interesting industrial wonders for America.

Is Statue of Liberty confirmed for America? How about it being associated with France and allowed them to build it for another civ granting a bonus to both civs.

France should already have the Eiffel Tower, which almost every single person would probably associate that wonder with them.

Ironically America's associated leader, Ben Franklin, was a diplomat to France, so linking the Statue of Liberty to America is just as fitting

Korea into Japan is 100% not happening; both player bases would riot.

I agree, the Statue of Liberty as a wonder is weak sauce. It's not American, it was GIVEN to the US. Sadly Hoover Dam is seriously overshadowed by the Three Gorges Dam. I'd go a different direction for the US... the National Highway System. I think that's an achievement that's truly shaped this country.

Highway system isn’t exclusively American and we weren’t the first one to think of it or build one. Hitler, as evil of a person as he was, built the Autobahn or Germany’s version of our Highway system. We simply copied and improved upon it but the inspiration for it is Germany, not America imo. To me, Panama Canal would be America’s World Wonder. Even though we built it in Panama, it’s still our achievement in the 20th Century that helped turn us into a Superpower by greatly shortening the time to reach the Pacific. Economic and Military benefits soon followed.

How about Hollywood as the American wonder? It’s quite representative of America and could appear on the map as the famous sign. In fact, it was already featured in Civ4 as a wonder.

Another option would be the Empire State Building. It’s almost as iconic as the Statue of Liberty.

My choice of American wonder would unfortunately be under copyright, which would be one of Frank Lloyd Wright's works--probably Fallingwater. Maybe one of his public works like Ascension Orthodox Church or the Guggenheim Museum would be possible? I don't know.

Top Bottom