RFCC - A modmod for RFC featuring Hellenism, Zoroastrianism, the Phoenicians and more

Version 1.1.4 is up, see first post for download link. As announced this is simply an update to include the changes in the final standard RFC 1.187. This is the final release by me for Civ4 (barring major bug-fixes); if anyone wants to continue development or merge it I'll be glad to help setting this up.

I'm very much looking forward to modding for Civ5 and Civ5 RFC! :)

I can´t get the download to start

But is there ACTUALLY going to be an Civ5 RFC? Is Rhye actually going to do something like that?
He said he wasn't sure but c'mon guys, we know he will. :D Otherwise I'm sure many of us will step up to the challenge.

Interesting Mod, are there stability maps available for this one?
The stability maps are unchanged from standard RFC. Also, the uncompressed mod contains an atlas with all the spawn and "home" zones which impact stability.

Why? The Phoenicians never settled any more than that.

Any sensible playing of Phoenicia shouldn't exceed those 32 tiles anyway, so what's the matter?

I am referring to the stability map located here:
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye's_and_Fall_of_Civilization_stability_maps#Carthage

Take a close look.

If you build your capital at the optimum position in the Levant to minimize red squares it should be directly opposite the 1 square representing the island of Cyprus. That way of the 3 green squares in that location you will be in the middle.

But even at that location you would have the following in your fat cross:

-3 green stable squares (14%)
-6 ocean squares (29%)
-12 red squares (57%)

So when you build your first city you will have already potentially expanded into 12 of your 32, with only 20 remaining.

The other thing about the Carthage stability map is that the green slither along the coast of North Africa is also very thin, at some places it is only 1 square deep, so any city you build along the coast must remain with very low culture or it will expand into useless desert squares that take up most of the 32 tile allowance. No other civs have such a thin slither along this coast, the Arabs, French and the Turks green areas all expand deep into the desert and it is not even their homelands.

I understand that the Carthaginians/Phoenicians did not expand deep into the desert, but they shouldn't get a penalty for building cities on the coast. I think the green areas should at least cover the fat crosses.

Hmm, interesting. I'm not really sure how stability works. Do you get your stability harmed for your city's culture overflowing outside of your stable area?

A slight penalty begins after you exceed 32 tiles in your green/yellow area (on monarch). You need a lot more foreign tiles until it becomes an issue.

I just finished a game as the Phoenicians and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I raized both the Christian and Muslim Holy Cities to see how the new religions would progress. The answer is very slowly. Zoroastrianism doesn't really spread at all, which is a shame, it might have been cool to see it spread to some of the neighbours of Persia, like Russia or Mongolia. The Turks did adopt it for a little while, but only because they conquered Persia, eventually they opted for Hellenism after they had held the former Greek cities for a while. Hellenism spreads like wildfire in the Mediterranean, but no further, curiously many of the later spawning European civs adopted it, but only because they had 1 Hellenic city in the Med region. The Germans adopted it just because they had a city down in the Balkans but nowhere else, and the French adopted it because it was in Marseilles but nowhere else. Eventually much of Northern Europe opted for Buddhism (founded in India as normal).

I would suggest that you give the two new religions a little more spread capability, otherwise there is not much point in having them. For Zorastrianism, the neighbours of Persia should have more of a chance of getting it (Russia, Mongolia, Turkey, maybe even Germany). For Hellenism, the later spawning European civs should get more of a chance of catching it (sort of like a "Renaissance" movement).

Just my 2 cents. Also the USA got Christianity even though noone else adopted it. Is that supposed to happen?

Thanks alcibaides, glad you liked it. Did the stability zones turn out to be a problem?

The religion spread rates are adjusted per Civ to keep things a bit more realistic, I guess I wasn't counting on the old religions existing in a void for so long. :) Christian America was an intentional change, again I assumed that Christianity would be dominant anyway.

Thanks alcibaides, glad you liked it. Did the stability zones turn out to be a problem?

I played right to the twentieth century and I only collapsed once, but I was able to prepare for that and recuperate most of my cities very quickly.

The stability issue around the Phoenician homeland only became a major issue when one of the neighbouring civs collapses. This happened three time, first Babylon, then Greece, and then the Turks. All of a sudden, the culture rating of Sur (Phoenician homeland) overwhelms all of the independent cities and I found myself controling virtually the entire Middle East, even if you choose not to flip the independent cities, you still control all their land. By the twentieth century and the collapse of the Turks this became huge and I quit the game around the year 2000, it seemed I was about to collapse in a few more years.

If you mean whether you can download this modmod and play it without interfering with your other RFC modmods, then yes, you can.

Haven't played this yet, and I'd like to ask before I download :)

1. Will this unstabilize the game? Like instead of China building the great wall it will for example be egypt? I'm always trying to be historical correct all the time (a)

2. Philisophy leads to the Medieval era, and hellenism was founded wayyyyy before that. Have you made it so that it won't lead to the medieval age?

3. Can I ask you a favour? to make a national wonder like Hadrian's wall? :D Just suggesting, kinda,.. ;)

4. Dunno if you added this, but it would be cool if you removed the "stone age", "classical age" and so on... and instead add the the year, since I still have that in the modern era..

EDIT: noticed that I wrote something earlier..

Actually this is a dead mod, in the way that the last version is severall years old, so I don't think that Hadrian's wall can be added. Being a modmod, you can download RFCC without replacing the previous RFC files, so you can play both if stuff from this mod bothers you (like unbalanced stuff, but IIRC Corossol did a good job on that).
If you're looking for a living global RFC modmod, you have leoreth's one, Dawn of Civilization.

While it's true that I don't actively maintain the mod anymore, all the files and source code are available in the first post so anyone can make their own changes as they see fit. As always, credit is appreciated if importing major features into another mod.

@alegra0912: Philosophy is a Classical tech in this mod, and the tech and resource requirements for Wonders are tweaked to give more incentives to certain Civs for building them.

Top Bottom