Revival of Silence is Golden - Rat 36 (?)

Yes--just a central location, rather than our tactically ideal start at one end of a continent, might have taken the game along very different channels. A pangaea, requiring us to deal with all our rivals at once rather than in two separate groups, would also have been more dangerous in this variant.

Lurker's comment: I'd think shutting off research and buying more armies (sell the libraries also for more cash) more profitable here than researching either Industrialization or Sci. Method. I can definitely see Steam Power as useful.. and perhaps Nationalism or Replacable Parts possibly useful for a landing, but not much else... unless you go all the way to Combustion for transports.

Well I finished all but one turn last night so I think I should be able to post tonight.

One stupid error on my part - the Japanese offered to talk to us and I just automatically refused and then realized my error. The game was too much like AW so my AW reflexes took over - too much AW play I fear. Hope you guys like AWD :crazyeye:

The good news is that the Vikings are finally gone.

lurker's comment: Looking for more difficult variants? What about not building armies? ;) The AIs never do...

Preturn: Few more cities on Boats.

IBT: Mayans finish Newtons.

860 AD: Kill 3 Rifles, 2 Berserk in Hareid. Keep the city, we don't seem to have a lot of extra Settlers. Build Gigthis.

870 AD: Build Tacape Army Heals

880 AD: 2nd Cav army in boats. It is a new one that got hand built in Carthage. on my first IBT. Kill 2 Berserk dropped off near Matho.
I switched over to Workers from Settlers. it will be a while before we can use more settlers (we have built enough to fill in our lands) and will want Workers to get Rails up faster. Build Putrid Desert. Unfortunately noone wants to move there and the mayer wishes he chose a different name.

IBT: Two Caravel attack a fortified Galleon and promote it to Elite.

890 AD: Build Pastel Lake. Two Armies land next to Viking City.

IBT: Mayans drop a Knight next to Brighton and I notice it is empty. Will need to Abandon it. French land a MDI next to Grenoble defended by 2 regular Num Mercs.

900 AD: Abandon Brighton. Capture Aselsund. Only Viking city of Bodo remains(assuming none are unknown)

IBT: I make a blunder - too much AW - the Japanese offered to talk and I ignored them as an automatic reflex and realized seconds after the variant.. Apologies.

910 AD: Grr - Both our Armies redline without taking out Bodo and we have to retreat and heal. There can't be that many Rifles left either. and now we risk flips for longer.

920 AD: Build Southern Boot.

930 AD: Build Southern River. Armies Still healing.

IBT: Hareid Deposes us.

940 AD: First Cav (of 2) is able to take back Hareid. Our armies barely take Bodo (one goes to 1 hp giving me a scare).

950 AD: Armies leave Viking islands to start heading across.

Notes:
We have 4 Frigates and 2 Galleons near the capitol and 3 near the Viking islands. We have 3 Cav armies and 1 Knight army that have 3 units.
Our coastal cities are still building more boats. Some units are near the capitol. It will still take time to cross the ocean. It took a while to deal with Vikings - our luck was not good there.

If we send the boats near the Viking island and near our capitol to the Japanese lands they will arrive at about the same time.

We aren't well prepared to hold cities on the enemy continent, since we lack bombardment strength to deal with the flood of units we'd see. So we should just get our four shippable armies and some independent cav shipped across to start razing, and worry about claiming territory later.

Our shippable knight army is still in the far southeast, and should start moving to its embarkation point before we hit Enter.

Got it, hope I can successfully mount a first offensive on the other continent.

Pre-Turn
MM a little and reduce science to 50%

IT Maya want to talk to us, let's see

I decline in the end, we should take some more cities before agreeing for peace
They also start US

1. 960AD
take out 3 landed Maya knights

IT now Zulu want to talk, no issue here
we make peace for a WM, increase lux to 10%
steam is in, electricity next

2. 970AD
we have only 1 source of coal :eek: start the slow process of RR our land
take out 4 landed Mayans knights

3. 980AD
Maya's have landed 5 knights, a rifle and mace this time round
take out the landings except a red rifle, lose a cav in the process
land 3 armies in Japan

IT Japanese take out Sumer for good

4. 990AD
take out the remaining rifle
RR more, slowly establishing a railnet

in Japan, raze Satsuma after taking out 2 muskets and 1 spear
gain 5 slaves, 4 of which are sent back by boat
then am able to attack and take out Osaka gaining 5 slaves and 1 cat

5. 1000AD
our armies need to heal, so I extend our railnet instead. High priority is to connect our core with the east of our Island as there is no defense present

6. 1010AD
continue to ship more cavalry to the other continent
armies are healed and start to attack Tokyo taking out 2 muskets

7. 1020AD
move 1 cav army next to Kyoto and land 7 cavalry there as well
take out a 3rd musket at Tokyo and the city is gone gaining us 5 slaves and 2 trebs

Utica is now on 27spt and can produce 3 turn cavalry

The RR shows an effect already as we now employ 60 scientists

IT Maya becomes very bold and move a settler pair next to us

8. 1030AD
start to attack Edo taking 2 muskets. I take out the settler pair and we already have a huge stack of slaves/ artillery
take out Kyoto after losing 2 cavs defeating 3 muskets and 2 spears

IT we got some Mayan and Japanese landings
Japan re-founds a city near Kyoto

9. 1040AD
raze Edo for 6 slaves and 2 cats
raze the new city of Izumo defended by a horse
The Japanese core is gone except for Kagoshima

Take out 3 landings
Trying to land a settler pair in the north, I spot a Mayan knight and retreat for now

IT Japan tried to execute our lone cavalry and promote it to elite
then they proceed to land 3 units

10. 1050AD
electricity drops to 3 turns, I guess someone got it this turn

take out 3 landings and start to move towards Kagoshima
found a city on a small Island as a filler, I sent 2 more cavs there just in case
Land a small force in the north but the Mayans are there with 2 rifles and a settler
I guess we need more cavalry to take them out

Our railnet is more or less complete with a circle line around our continent
We can now strategically improve tiles (I started with this already)

Important is to take out Maya, who are surely most advanced, but they do have rifles

Attachments

• Rat36-1050AD.SAV
    277.3 KB · Views: 65
Our Team:
ThERat -
whomp - up
Northern Pike
Greebley
Mumpulus

Fast work against the Japanese. :goodjob:

It's helpful that we're at peace with the Zulus, too.

OK I got it. I'll play part today and the rest tomorrow evening. Holidays and all...

PS since I won't be able to play too much today if NP wants to try to get a set in I will check back here later and see if he's picked up.

Thanks for thinking of it, but this is a busy day for me too so I won't try to jump ahead of you.

I have three turns left and will finish tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay.

The situation has been interesting since the Zulus joined in again and the Mayans have RP. The good news is it appears they don't have infantry.

Summary
Sorry if the turn report is a mess but wow that was quite a long set. With everyone at war with us on the other continent we had our hands full. We filled space, took out Tikal, got a number of MGL's and made ok progress. We have a way to Copan now so that could be next up. There's a prebuild in Utica for ToE. I had research at 80% and got research towards ToE down to 8 turns. There's a settler on the other island and some movement still left depending on what NP wants to do.

Pre-turn: Wake some stuff and decide the settler sitting on the other continent needs to be established so we can start building there. Call it Beachhead.

IT The Zulus decide to declare on us.

Our Numidian on the north island is attacked by the knight and is no match. A rifle hits our cav and promotes the cav. (1-1) They establish a city on the spot and the knight and rifle fortify.

I'm able to lower lux to 0% after the Zulu declaration. Unload 4 cavs on northern island. Reload TheTrooper with a musket and 3 trebs. Load the other with trebs but end up screwing up a ship chain that would've let me drop 4 more arty units.
Raze Kagoshima with our two armies while taking down 5 muskets. (6-1)

IT French come looking for peace.
Negotiate this to finish off our war with them.

Mayan knight attacks our musket on northern island and retreats.
Another attacks one of our cavs in the open and beats us. (6-2)
3 Mayan rifles and a mace are dropped off at Tacape next to our knight army.
Lots of Mayans approach Bridgehead.

Bombard two rifles on northern island and yellow them. 1st cav redlines and wins, elite takes 2nd rifle and 2nd elite knocks out the knight and the city is razed (9-2). Northern Island is established. We put a settler down and establish Double Beachhead next to the ivory. Encroachment is established by encroaching on Mayan territory and grabbing a dye. We have 19 slaves so I disband one in Beachhead and rush a harbor.

Take down 5 knights and 3 rifles near Beachhead.
Go 4/14 with various arty hitting the rifle/mace incursion. Our army takes the two 3/4 rifles. Two cavs finish business and we get a promotion and load both into galleons for the big fight. (21-2). Utica starts a prebuild.

IT 5 rifles are around Encroachment as well as 3 rifles and 3 crusaders approach Second Beachhead. Japanese pike/LB land next to Tacape. Pretty popular.
Electricity comes in and start on medicine towards ToE.

Establish Mayan Retreat in front of Beachhead. Bombard the rifle/crusader stack after railing near Bridgehead. Seven cavs attack with one retreat, one elite win and one promotion.
11/18 army goes 6/18 knocking down 2 rifles in front of Mayan Retreat. They reveal two settler pairs one Mayan and one Japanese.
13/19 4th Knight Brigade is flawless taking down 2 rifles between Encroachment and Mayan Retreat.
18/18 Fifth Army knocks out three more rifles to go (34-2)
Establish Japonais (a restaurant by my house) near Second Beachhead.
Redline the Japanese pair and try to promote a couple cavs with no success. (36-2)
Medicine in 8 and army due in 3. Could be a prebuild.

IT Get more incursions including a stack of 6 rifles on our dyes.
Bombard the dyes stack with only two hits.
Land some units from Viking island and two elites take down a pike and crusader.
Ship chain a bit and bring 3 more cavs into Beachhead.
Wipe out the 6 rifles but loses one cav in the process with 2 more elite victories.
Destroy Nagasaki's two rifles and knock out a LB with an elite.
Establish Bunker Hill which fills in a good amount of the open territory.

IT The Mayans aren't the problem so much as the Zulus who just landed 8 knights and have cavs. One hits Bunker Hill but retreats.
Put our sights on the Zulu knights and all 8 are knocked down 1hp.
Start by knocking out the redlined Zulu cav with a 3/5 cav.
Lose an elite to a Zulu knight but then we get this (47-4)

Attack the Zulus again with a vet cav and is flawless. Load him into Hannibal's 1st Special Forces.
Do it again with another cav and lose 1 hp. Load him into Hannibal's 1st.
Get another elite victory.
Knock out two more with vets.
Lose an elite but get another and the Zulus are gone.
Crush a vet Zulu cav near Bunker Hill.
Hannibal's 1st loses 7 hps but promotes taking out a rifle on the dyes. (55-5)

IT The Mayans have guerillas. eek...
Our Musket at Bunker Hill knocks out a knight. Another Musket retreats a cav.
Finish building a army in Carthage and start another. Could be a prebuild for Hoovers.
Now I'm second guessing myself whether I should've planted cities even though settlers are around. As well, whether I should've started research on RP instead of medicine...fortunately the Mayans don't have any infantry yet. I will need to put some pressure on then.

Healthy 4th Knight hits a rifle in Tikal and move to the mountain so it can cover a arty stack.
Decide to use some cavs that will join the new army that arrived from Carthage.
First is flawless and promotes taking down a Mayan knight.
Second loses 2 hp taking a LB
Third is flawless knocking out a pike and is loaded into the army.
4/5 elite takes the spear but loses 2 hps.
12/18 army takes down a pike losing 1 hp covering a spear and 2 LBs.
3/4 vet promotes to 3/5 taking out the spear.
Another 3/4 vet is flawless taking 1 LB. (63-5)

IT Lose a frigate to a galleon
Also lose 12 slaves to a Zulu cav. I didn't see that opening...
A LB attacks our army at San Juan Hill and is repulsed. (64-6).
We have 9 Zulu knights, 6 Mayan rifles, 1 guerilla, mace and the Japanese have 5 pikes, 6 LBs and 3 spears in our territory.
Eek...

Ship chain over artillery and some mercs for support.
Start at Tikal. Taking out this city will stem the tide.
Cats go 0/3
Captured trebs 0/2.
Regular trebs 3/4 revealing a guerilla
Cannons 1/6 on guerilla.
Cannons 3/3 on open knights
Trebs 3/4 so all the knights are 3/4
Start on these guys.
1st elite redlines but takes out the knight
2nd and 3rd eliteare flawless
4th elite gives us a MGL. 1st Shock

At Tikal 16/19 1st Knight drops to 11/19 taking the first rifle at Tikal.
13/16 to 11/16 taking the 2nd. I may need him so stop and work on the knights again.

17/18 army takes down 3 healthy knights and finishes in a city taking a 3/4 knight and finishes 10/18.
Take out a reg impi with a 3/5 cav.
Send a galley to the bottom of the sea and promote a frigate.
Decide to bring home the 11/16 army and take out the remaining knight. It will give us ZoC. (76-6)

IT We have a galleon that's flawless taking out a Mayan galleon.
Take a Mayan mace but lose him to a rifle. Also take out 5 Japanese LBs with four against our reasonably healthy and another versus a musket that eventually goes down to a LB. (83-8).
Four cavs are builit on the mainland.

Ship units from the mainland.
Here's a picture of the situation...

Start by hitting the rifle that knocked out our musket.
Elite retreats and a 2nd is flawless knocking him out.
Cats 0/4, trebs 1/4 and cannons 2/3 hitting the rifle and guerilla in front of Mayan Retreat.
Elite retreats vs. guerilla.
Decide to use last elite against a spear and he's flawless.
Time to use the vets. The healthiest will be loaded into 1st Marine.
1st retreats and 2nd takes down the rifle.
Move to a rifle in front of Beachhead and take down the rifle there.
Another vet flawless taking out the guerilla and is added to 1st Marine
5th and 8th Army clear the way for two armies to head towards Tikal.

To Tikal:
Cats 1/3 reveal a guerilla, Japanese trebs 0/2, regular trebs 3/4 revealing another 3/4 rifle and cannons go 2/6 and reveal 2 conscripts.
Send in fully healthy 1st Force Recon which is hit by artillery twice but takes out 3 rifles 12/18 and reveals a new unfortified conscript rifle.
14/18 Hannbal's 1st Special moves in and takes the conscript, guerilla and redlined rifle to finish dropping to 6/18. (96-8)

Establish Crossroads underneath 1st Recon.

IT Lots and lots of Impi move past Crossroads. Those dang Japanese LBs like hitting our armies and another loses. (97-8)
They also hit one of our frigates with two trebs. Medicine comes way down in price so someone's headed that way.

Turn off research after converting some folks to scientists and will have medicine next.
Ship chain in some units.
Hit a Mayan rifle and only knock it down to 2/4 with 4 cats, 4 trebs and 3 cannons. Our elite is flawless taking him out and clearing a rail.
Hammer a Zulu knight and it's redlined by 3 cats, 3 trebs and a cannon. Cav takes knight out. (99-8)
Our other artillery knocks down 3 knights to 2/4 and 1/4. Elite is flawless on a 2/4 and a vet goes 2/4 taking out the 1/4 (101-8)
Mace and *sword take down 2 pikes and an elite Numidian finishes a 2/3 pike and gets an MGL. (104-8).

Take a spear on a hill we'll need and knock out the last knight in our territory (106-8). Decide to heal all our armies so we can be very healthy for an onslaught.

IT 4 rifles attack our army in San Juan Hill and lose. Weird since it was at least 10/18. (110-8)
The Zulus dump an enormous amount of troops in our territory.
Start research towards ToE.

They have 7 impi, 4 LBs, 5 MI, 2 pikes, sword and musket on one side and 11 impi on the other side of Bunker Hill. 3 rifles and a cav next to San Juan Hill. Stare at the screen forever debating on what to do. The cav is what worries me the most.
Start with the Mayan rifles hitting them with cannons 3/7. 4th knight takes down 2 rifles losing only 3 hp to 8/18. (112-8)
Use 4 trebs to take the 3/4 rifle to redline so I can attack the cav without landing on the forest. 17/18 1st Royal Guard takes down the cav. (113-8).

Knock down the musket and pike near Bunker Hill and reveal impis so I stop. Then pound the impi stack with a 9/9 cat barrage.

Hit a 2/4 pike to get to a LB at San Juan Hill and reveal a LB. Elite cav take him down and try my luck with our elite Merc against the pike and win though it redlines our Merc. (115-8)
Bombard a pike and take it down with a mace. (116-8)
2 Cavs takes down impi and load them in our new army. Another redlines but wins, 2 more elite wins, then a vet which is loaded into the army. (122-8)

1st Shock loses 5 hps taking down 2 rifles at Cuello and we keep the city for now.
3/5 elite takes out a spear that might be a problem if I establish a new city. (124-8)
Establish Pink Dot which brings us two tiles from Copan.
Take out 3 more impi by 36th Rat Division so they only have 2 left in their stack and the division promotes to 11/17. (127-8)
1st Force Recon takes out a guerilla and rifle near Crossroads and only loses 4 hps. (129-8)

Attachments

• Rat36-1150AD.SAV
    276.9 KB · Views: 60
Fine work. :goodjob: We knew we'd face a lot of units, invading another continent in what amounts to AWD. It may take most of this round to deal with the enemy stacks, but after that we'll win quickly.

I've got it.

great progress. I am surprised you could found so many cities.

I am sure once we overcame the initial onslaught (and with RP to boot) we should be able to win. I assume we are not taking the usual AT - electronics but RP and industrialization instead?

I think industialization and RP make sense. We don't have a good prebuild for Hoovers unless we delay the timing of ToE.

Just an aside, we could probably use rax on the other continent to accelerate healing and we only have 2 cats, a knight army and mace army left on the our continent. I emptied the joint. :)

I also forgot to mine and rail a mountain that Hippo (I think) is using.

Good work - it is looking good.

Do we even want industrialization? We may not want to take the time to build factories if the game is close to the end. Is there another tech worth taking that is better? Ironclads for example? Drafting Infantry with Nationalism? I have found Infantry drafting can be pretty effective especially if we can start keeping cities over size 6.

of course nationalism sounds like a good deal too. it would also be on course to espionage, something we might want to consider as silent, stealthy people

Top Bottom