1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RevolutionDCM for BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by glider1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. johny smith

johny smith Deity

On the modules and the SVN. I made a repository just for RevDCM WoC modules but no one ever used it. Here it is...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/revdcmwoc/

The WoC Lite in the WoC SVN I am not so sure about right now.

Faichele has a merge already done mostly, but he is trying to merge some other things. I asked perhaps that he uploads in individual SDK changes with the modules so that people go download a new feature and add it if they want to.

His primary focus is on trade goods right now. Which is quantified resources and units requiring resources and etc. Similar to Colonization but instead of yields they are resources. I hope he will start a thread afterwords explaining just the new features for trade goods.

Anyway the revdcmwoc svn I thought would be only for modules and the base of RevDCM would remain like it is. If anyone wants to make modules to add to RevDCM I though they could be organized by users perhaps in the revdcmwoc so that people can have one database to find modules. Rapture has a lot of code changes and the schisms still need some work. I hope can a module as well in the future for it.

I would suggest for woc modules that Orion's modules be uploaded as well. He put a lot of work in getting those ready for RevDCM, and of course can be used from other mods using it especially RoM stuff. Hell maybe even entire folders for the base of some mods if it would help to get them all together in one location.

Well anyway that is my suggestion anyway, but you guys are ultimately going to decide. glider and jdog are admins so they can add people as well.

2. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

Saved game attached to this post.

Many thanks for your efforts. Keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

3. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

I played through 50 turns from that save, and couldn't see any error. Please post your python error logs as glider mentions.

4. glider1

glider1 Deity

Yeah that error I think now I remember experiencing myself when you describe not being able to find it. Essentially you get one stab at it to capture it in the log. If you go back to try and find it by reloading a save, it remains illusive. I'd say it's something to do with trying to establish a barbarian or minor civ in the latter stages of the game when the civ cannot be established, and so there is may be an error, but it is just a temporary issue for that turn. I remember going back to that very turn in the autosave, but the error does not show it's face a second time....

Cheers

5. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

My opinion is that it would be easier for gamers if the modules were here in CFC forums and its download database.

Also it might be good if Revolution had own forum section for modmods, just like my modpack has. Rise of Mankind didn't have many modmods until we got a forum section dedicated only for modmods and now if you look at that forum, you'll see that there's already several hundred WoC style modules made for my modpack (I've made about 200 civ/leader modules by converting civs from Civ Gold). Some of those RoM modules could be quite easily converted to RevDCM as well but you'd need to get some modders who want to do such task.

6. johny smith

johny smith Deity

It can be used as another download database only. It really needs threads in CFC with links to folders in it if it wants to be used.

It saves a whole lot of uploading if used because you only need to make changes to the files versus reuploading the entire file. Plus you can always revert the changes if someone makes a mistake. Oh ya and of course no limit on the size of the file.

I don't think I need to explain the file limitations at CFC and people needing to use an outside website to upload. Nor do I need to explain how you can not trust some sites of not loosing the data. Just think of it as reliable backup download database. It can not replace giving detailed information on something in a CFC thread.

For example your torrent files could be uploaded to it, and it would always be online versus having to have to seeders. Again no limit on file sizes.

7. johny smith

johny smith Deity

Well anyway I will show example. You do not even need another client for players to download the mod, but of course someone needs a program for the SVN to upload.

http://revolutiondcm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/revolutiondcm/Trunk/RevolutionDCM.tar.gz?view=tar

This link will allow you to download the current RevDCM folder within the RevDCM. You can make individual folders if you want within it. Like for example the res folder here.

http://revolutiondcm.svn.sourceforg...runk/RevolutionDCM/Assets/Res.tar.gz?view=tar

All you have to do for this is replace the last very last "/" with ".tar.gz?view=tar" for any folder you want to make available to download as a link, but of course you will want more set in stone versions(1.21, 1.22, 1.23, etc) and only have this link for very latest.

You can try it within the RevDCM folder if you want.

http://revolutiondcm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/revolutiondcm/Trunk/RevolutionDCM/

Anyway it comes out as a tar file and WinRar and 7-zip(I think) will extract it correctly. Just want to explain more clearly why I always like having a SVN around for backup.

Well blablabla no one may interested, but I made a SVN for the very purpose of modules and no one has used it. I don't care how it is really setup just think it is waste if it is not being put to use. I thought that way the RevDCM SVN can stay small if people want to add modules to one database.

8. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

The biggest factor here is the learning curve. Most of the modders can figure out how to grab the modules from the SVN, and think it easy, but most end-users would get hopelessly lost. I avoid anything but .zip archives simply because most users do not have unarchiving tools installed, and windows can only natively unzip zip's. However, if someone (*cough*Phungus*cough*), were to make a few installers, one for each general area of the modules, and put those installers in the SVN and linked to them in the CFC dl database, well, then you might see some activity. I know my modules never saw much use until I adopted an installer.

9. gavagai

gavagai Chieftain

I have an idea for developing Start as minors, and that is to Start as barbarians. It is basically the same, except for until you can establish diplomatic relations you see every other civ as barbarians, i.e. their cities and their units are barbarian graphics and you won't know which civs you have encountered. When you can establish diplomatic relations you will see and encounter every other civ that also can establish relations.

The reasoning behind the idea is that since the AI considers other civs as barbarians when it comes to war planning and defense planning in Start as minors I think the human players get a bit of advantage when it comes to strategic planning. For example, it is quite easy to destroy a neighbour civ early since you are focused and goes for each city of that civ until it's destroyed. The AI have no such focus and attacks the nearest cities and units regardless of civs. Which is the grand idea of Start as minors. And with a cloak of ignorance over the human player we too would fight left and right until we became civilized!

10. glider1

glider1 Deity

@Gavagai
    Thanks for the thought. I've copied the idea over to the Revolutions forums as the creator of the Revolution Mod Jdog5000 will more likely read it over there. The updated discussion forum for this is:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=299944

Feel free to continue the thought over there.
    Cheers.

11. johny smith

johny smith Deity

Well honestly imo. One document explaining how to open a tar file and show specifically where to drag it to should work. How about this? Could an installer make a shortcut to the modules folder(and make an unloaded modules folder as well) on the desktop for people to drag the folder into it. You would just need to have one MLF to load any possible modules to link the top folders under modules together.

And of course you would need a thread to explain modules that would overwrite one or the other. I just think it is only complicated to some users because they do not understand where to drag the folder to more so than simply figuring how to open the archive. I mean I can not believe that so many people are not familiar with Winrar or 7zip. I may be wrong. It would not be the first or last time.

12. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Users are dumb. Really dumb. I've had to help people who didn't realize that they needed to unzip the mod once that they put it in the Mods folder. I've had to help people who didn't know what unzipping files meant. I've had to help people who could manage to screw up installations, even when I do provide an installer...

Every extra step is another step that will catch up users. If it's just a click and shoot installer, they can't screw up...hopefully.

13. johny smith

johny smith Deity

I tried something for the heck of it. Did not spend too much time on it. I just make a batch file that uses "wget" and "7zip" with command lines. It points to the RevDCM modules folder, downloads the folder and extracts it. You should extract the files I am sending in assets. Well probably could be better, but figured something automated for dummies maybe.

Edit: Click the "Download Modules.bat" to run it.

14. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

A "minor" civ rules the world, is ahead of everybody, has modern wonders etc. and seems to be far from collapsing due to revolutions. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

15. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Never seen that before, have you modified your game in any way?

16. glider1

glider1 Deity

@Kriku
    Wow, there's a first time for everything. Thanks for the upload, it will be fun to check this out. It is very very weird.
    Cheers.

17. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

I can also support past saves. Just ask. I save often.

18. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

Nutnut

I play with customarily delayed game speed and increased barbarian activity. That's all.

19. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

The easiest way I can think of for that to happen is:

Portugal forms as a barbarian civ on a terra-map "New World" continent by itself.

BarbarianCiv options are set to "Limit to minor until city founded"

Because of how big they got, nobody managed to found a city on their continent.

How to test that theory: Land a settler and ninja-found a city somewhere on there.

Next turn they should organize into a full-civ

20. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

We are all together on a one-continent Highlands map.