1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RevolutionDCM for BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by glider1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TAfirehawk

TAfirehawk WoC Team Manager

It really isn't a discussion for here, but since it has been brought up....

The WoC or whatever we will call the next clean and stable version using patch 3.19, is being worked on but I have no ETA. The power of modular XML loading is something every single modder of BtS, large and small, can use to be simpler, quicker, easier and more organized....not to mention the pieces and parts from multiple mods can share components.

But this thread is for RevDCM and if it must go back to v1.02 for stability then by all means it should go "stable". That of course doesn't mean WoC is the root cause of the problem or that the WoC next version can't be included.

2. avain

avain (key)

I'm for WoC and not only because my mod is using it;)
    It would be a major pain to switch back all the code, not to mention the waste of effort I made to keep stuff modular and nice. (whenever possible)
    And it is the way modular loading should have been in the first place.

So WoC is the way for me.

3. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

I think the important thing right now would be to update the last stable version (pre-WOC), update it to 3.19 and provide source code. A stable version for the new patch is what's needed, the important thing would be to get that done and make sure it's stable with the new patch, add the fixes to DCM features introduced since 1.02 etc, and then worry about WOC after that. WOC is a bonus. A nice bonus if the merge works, to be sure, but it's not critical.

4. johny smith

johny smith Deity

I update the WoC Lite to 3.19. Just the basic version.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12149

There was a line of code commented out in the last basic WoC Lite I sent up before. That may have the bug everyone is referring to. Just one line of code I saw commented out lol.

Anyway I sent up the updated basic WoC Lite 3.19. I don't think the other RevDCM stuff will be so easy to update. but I have not tried yet. Was going to wait on glider and jdog before bothering with the code. I have not tested RevDCM 2.1.

5. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

good job johny.

6. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Between this and the updated BBAI for 3.19 (will go live this afternoon), a new version of Revolution DCM is not too far away ...

7. avain

avain (key)

This is great news!:goodjob:

8. TAfirehawk

Very good to hear, looks like update to v3.19 isn't a monster for most mods at least.

9. TAfirehawk

I agree 100%

Of course I think the advantages of the WoC are very strong to all modders and players, but stability comes first. We are not about pushing some mod down everybody's throat here (WoC Core/Lite isn't a mod at all even)....we just want to work with everybody to make things easier :)

10. keldath

woc is perfectly ok,

im using it as a part of dune wars,

and its rock solid and stable, using two or three modules, i dont see any reason not to use revdcm with woc as a basis.

as far as i know only the events didnt work, but i hear thats fixed as well.

:)

11. glider1

glider1 Deity

Hi everyone
    3.19 RevolutionDCM is being worked on as we speak by both Jdog and I. I have an interim solution for the broken apollo program which is a woc xml reading issue. Other outstanding items (outstanding as in "still to do" not "great well done good job"):
    1) Bomb shelters (Zappara)
    2) 3 Inquisitor limit broken (Zappara) - EDIT: could not replicate this bug

We'll see how it goes over the next 24 hours. At this stage woc extra lite is intended to stay. The code will be and should be very predictable and only effects during game load. After that xml is in main memory and woc extra lite does play no further contribution to stability from then on.

@TAFireHawk
    I suspect that the xml reading bug is probably just an error in the port from woc to woc extra lite. I think it's a very nice concept that should stay as well. Great to hear that some heavy weight modders are actually using woc to take some of the burden off their merging workload. There is a java woc_installer in RevolutionDCM 2.1 that attempts to fix the audio xml issue but I'm not sure whether BTS 3.19 fixes that in the executable anyway.

Cheers.

12. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

I have released a new 3.17 version of the Inquisition Mod, which has moved more functions into the Inquisition.py file and decentralized the Inquisitors. There is one for each religion now. There is a lot less work for merging, so expect it will transfer easily into version 3.19.

Orion Veteran :cool:

13. glider1

glider1 Deity

@OrionVet
    Thanks and your work to generalise the Inquisitions mod into a standard build is much appreciated. At this point I will not do it because I have just checked through RevDCM 2.1 and inquisitors are limited to 3 and this is seen in practice. In other words I could not replicate Zappara's report of high numbers of inquisitors and will not change something that appears not to be broken.
    Cheers.

14. keldath

hey,
    glad to know that soon we will have 3.19,

and better yet, glad to know woc will be inside.

good work glider and jdog, many lives.. i mean mods are depending on you :)

15. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Will the "No events" issue be fixed in the next release?

I've very skeptical of the WoC release, because:

1) I've noticed some odd behaviour, specifically reminiscent of the pre-BetterAI wars.
    2) Lack of events
    3) Other minor issues.

It just seems that WoC is a bloated add-on designed to make people feel all shiny and happy about the mod while adding nothing of value.

16. mamba

mamba Deity

Tastes differ, for me WoC was what got me interest in RevDCM. I will probably create the next version of my mod with RevDCM+WoC as the dll and make full use of WoCs abilities (I already do xml wise, but I want to put the xml flexibility to good use).

17. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

My events are working fine ...

With one caveat: the 'healing plant' event - one you often get early in the game on a jungle start - seems to be broken. I get no health benefits for running any tests, nor are any advertised. The 10-turn happy bonus for not doing tests still works, but for whatever reason the other 2 options get you nothing.

The strange thing is, the xml for this event hasn't been altered at all. It should work.

18. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I think it might happen on very few occasions for AI players - perhaps easier on Pangaea map type where your empire can be surrounded from all directions by other AI players. It might be hard to replicate the problem. For human player it can not happen as for human player different python code checks are done. Does the PushOrder (or whatever the function was that tells AI player to build inquisitor) check if it is allowed to build more units of the same type (national unit limit)?

An another note, I'm currently using RevDCM 2.1 in my latest Rise of Mankind v2.7test2 version and it seems stable and I haven't noticed any bugs with it (other than previously mentioned in this thread).

Rise of Mankind 2.62 has now over 120,000 downloads and the only complaint about RevDCM has been that the minors & rebels get too many units when they switch to full civs (and too strong reinforcements). This can be tested by starting game on Modern era and wait for minor civs invasion forces... :D

19. keldath

wow ! 120000!???

holy molly!

i cant afford to dream of suh numers of players playing my mods...hehe....

i guess people do like bigger better and prettier.

20. BobTheTerrible

BobTheTerrible Just Another Bob

It's pretty easy to just pop open the python file and remove some units, and lower the values in Revolutions.ini.