RevolutionDCM for BTS

Hello,

I downloaded JRE but when I tried to double-click java.exe, it just showed command prompt for .5 second then it closed down. What do I do? Or what other exe do I need to use?

Hello,

I downloaded JRE but when I tried to double-click java.exe, it just showed command prompt for .5 second then it closed down. What do I do? Or what other exe do I need to use?

I suppose you wanted to use the woc_installer. In that case you just double-click the jar file, you do not start Java separately (java.exe is a command line tool which would expect the app to run as a parameter, that is why the window closed again right away).

I suppose you wanted to use the woc_installer. In that case you just double-click the jar file, you do not start Java separately (java.exe is a command line tool which would expect the app to run as a parameter, that is why the window closed again right away).

Ah! Finally found that jar. Did not realize that I had to double-click that! Thank you! Now to tedious work, if it's at all possible to WoCize NWA *lol*.

Ah! Finally found that jar. Did not realize that I had to double-click that! Thank you! Now to tedious work, if it's at all possible to WoCize NWA *lol*.

Not sure just what is in NWA, if it is mainly Next War and some civs, it can be. Check out my WoC-ified mod as an example. It already contains a WoC-ified Next War (some slight changes to it, as I use the regular civs, so it is mostly techs, buildings and units) and some additional civilizations.

Whatever hardcoded fixes were made for the projects, make it so that reverting to a default setup with the Manhatten Project and no Chain Reactor breaks things.

Bug Report in LoR

All I've done is use the project infos from default BtS, and changed some technologies on the spaceship parts to make them appear later.

I really think you should remove the Chain Reactor and go back to the default BtS setup, because that would bring RevDCM in line with Stock BtS. The user could then toggle the options they choose (DCM, Revolution, Inquisitons, etc) to alter the Stock BtS game, but wouldn't be forced into having a game change in the projects no matter what options they select.

Attached is my projectInfos file, in case it helps. Of course except for tech prereques you could just check out the default BtS ProjectInfos. Please get back to me on this, because this is a pretty serious bug, as Space Race is sort of broken now.

Not sure just what is in NWA, if it is mainly Next War and some civs, it can be. Check out my WoC-ified mod as an example. It already contains a WoC-ified Next War (some slight changes to it, as I use the regular civs, so it is mostly techs, buildings and units) and some additional civilizations.

Next War Advanced by Strategyonly.

But I gave up because I realized that it was just a clone of RoM minus cool RevDCM so I decide to stick with RoM only plus any other RevDCM using mods every once in a while like yours.

Thanks everyone for sorting out basic "issues" with RevDCM when I'm not logged on to civfanatics. The general help on reporting issues has been great too. Jdog is out of the shop for a week or so but deserves a break in any case after doing so much work on Better BTS AI, Revolutions and RevolutionDCM.

This RevDCM 2.5 build seems to be on a knife edge between absolutely brilliant single player games, and the appearance of some pesky underlying issues. The history with RevDCM is that it is first and formost dedicated to single player, with multiplayer an increasing priority but with very little actual testing history. So here are the priorities as far as I see them feel free to comment:

1) Bug in distance calculations (reported Jabarto, Afforess thanks)
- Even on standard size maps, in some cases 2nd cities that are only 3 tiles away from the capital can generate distance penalties.
EDIT: looks like being specific to the RoM mod at this stage....

2) woc independency XML loading bug (diagnosed: Xchen08, Frekk, Phungus thanks)
- affects customizing projects and some random events (healing plant)

3) multiplayer badly broken (reported RiHatz, Munky, Munger, Phungus, Wizardry thanks)
- affects internet hookups via gamespy but intranet hookup could be ok except for known multiplayer issues long standing.

4) battle effects broken (diagnosed Hepaiston thanks)
- units do not get the benefit of their terrain bonuses in battle effected territory.

I do not have any time to fix these issues right now, but will allocate time at the soonest opportunity. I'll still log onto CivFanatics to listen to what's happening and add to this list of priorities. As far as multiplayer testing goes, initially testing will be just to explore the bug that Ri-Hatz has found simply connecting up to game spy in isolation before even introducing other internet players into the game.

Cheers.

Hello,

I just want to be sure I understand RecDCM's Stack Attack. Do archers actually do combat first? Because I noticed that I used Stack Attack, archers die fairly fast. So is that why you said before somewhere that it is better just to use Attack Support and let melee units fight it out first manually, using Archer Bombardment and Ranged Bombardment? (Note: I know you generally dislike Archer Bombardment for balance issues but I still use it :).)

I have the bug in distance calculations to. Here are some screen shots. I am also playing Rise of Mankind.

@NBAfan
Thanks, excellent screen shots. I will endevour to fix this issue as a top priority and release this week.

@os79
Stack attack does not fire up the archer bombard code or range bombard code every attack sequence any more. The actual attack sequence that plays out I think is dependent on a number of things but is essentially standard behaviour. Suggest that if you have a big stack, you semi-automate the attack by selecting the catagory of units you want to attack with, and stack attacking with each category. If you have five catapults, you could stack attack with them first for example.

As for attack support, that fires up the archer bombardment and range bombard code, every time there is a single attack. If there is a two swordsmen, an archer and a trebuchet, if a swordsman attacks first, his archer will archer bombard support him and his trebuchet will range bombard support him. This will repeat for the second swordsman as well.

This mechanism was once fully integrated with stack attack, but not only made stack attack prone to CTD, but also meant that stack attack could not be used in more conventional ways, nor with the better bts AI. However if players do want the old stack attack behaviour, they just have to enable both attack support and stack attack.

Cheers.

All of the City Distance bug reports are coming from RoM. So I don't believe it's caused by default RevDCM, also LoR has been using that code since it's inception (and it has been in use since WolfRevolution 1.3.2), and has never had a problem. It seems likely the issue is intrinsic to RoM.

glider, could you show me the code fix that you used to hardcode the Projects. I really need it to work right, and have a feeling it's busted in LoR due to the list being one project smaller, should be an easy fix. Also whenever you want, I'd be happy to help with debugging MP.

I think I found out the problem. I was running the Chiefdom civic which is the starting government civic and then changed to the monarchy civic it went back to normal levels. It has something to do with Rom's civics.

@os79
Stack attack does not fire up the archer bombard code or range bombard code every attack sequence any more. The actual attack sequence that plays out I think is dependent on a number of things but is essentially standard behaviour. Suggest that if you have a big stack, you semi-automate the attack by selecting the catagory of units you want to attack with, and stack attacking with each category. If you have five catapults, you could stack attack with them first for example.

As for attack support, that fires up the archer bombardment and range bombard code, every time there is a single attack. If there is a two swordsmen, an archer and a trebuchet, if a swordsman attacks first, his archer will archer bombard support him and his trebuchet will range bombard support him. This will repeat for the second swordsman as well.

This mechanism was once fully integrated with stack attack, but not only made stack attack prone to CTD, but also meant that stack attack could not be used in more conventional ways, nor with the better bts AI. However if players do want the old stack attack behaviour, they just have to enable both attack support and stack attack.

Cheers.

I understand that.

What I meant was when I used stack attack, the archers attack first, even if I clicked on attack support too. That means after archer bombardment, the archer goes out to the field, so to speak, and fight with the enemy unit. That bothered me. But now that you mentioned splitting up selecting process, I think I see a strategy now... What I can do is have my archers, and siege weapons if needed, be separated out from the stack then attack with melee (gunpowder, later on) units.

If they are separated, will attack support still work as advertised since they are all on the same tile?

Thanks :) for your supreme work making RevDCM. It makes RoM so much fun!

I think I found out the problem. I was running the Chiefdom civic which is the starting government civic and then changed to the monarchy civic it went back to normal levels. It has something to do with Rom's civics.

It makes sense because, historically, chiefdom don't really extend that far empire-wise.

What I meant was when I used stack attack, the archers attack first, even if I clicked on attack support too. That means after archer bombardment, the archer goes out to the field, so to speak, and fight with the enemy unit. That bothered me.

That's by intent, as far as I know. I think it was designed that way before field support was featured. Archers attack first because with drill promotions, they'll always do some damage, they're cheap, and there aren't any units with special bonuses against them. So if you're attacking another stack with crazy defense bonuses (in a walled city on a hill with lots of city defense promotions and alot of axes, chariots, and so on), you can use archers to wear them down before bringing in your own axes and chariots, who you might have wasted doing no damage on the first few attacks against fresh defenders. If you go with the archers first, especially with drill promotions, you shave at least a little bit of damage off them with every attack.

Hello!
I like this mod very much!

Just would have a question. How could i restore the original resource icons? I don't really like the new ones.

Thanks!

All of the City Distance bug reports are coming from RoM. So I don't believe it's caused by default RevDCM, also LoR has been using that code since it's inception (and it has been in use since WolfRevolution 1.3.2), and has never had a problem. It seems likely the issue is intrinsic to RoM.
The python should be same in RoM as it is in RevDCM, I didn't make changes to distance calculation but it's possible I've made a mistake during the merge operation so I'll have to check RoM files. One change I did make to Revolution.ini where I increased CloseRadius = 8 to CloseRadius = 10 (cultural revolutions section). Could this cause the problem? Since I increased it, there should be less cultural revolutions and not more as the reports seem to indicate?

Talking about ini files reminded me about small RevDCM glitch. As you know, when BtS loads a mod, it creates ini file for it and RevDCM's ini will be RevolutionDCM.ini. Now when you load RevDCM and start game, enter BUG options, it will open RevolutionDCM.ini and overwrite the contents in that file with other RevDCM settings so the ini file saved by BUG options should be renamed to something else.

Any chance of merging in Era Limited Civs for the next release, and getting it to work with barb civ, rebel, and colony spawns? You could keep the current game where any civs can spawn anytime, but just have the support in the xml for people like me to tweak. I'd love to see ancient civs spawned in the ancient eras and modern civs spawned in the modern era.

I don't know if this is a simple spelling mistake, bug, or just me being picky, but in the Revolution.ini file, you have a typo that could be causing problems. Sarkyn pointed it out on the ROM forums, so I thought you guys should know.

Code:
; Adjust influence of various factors in inciting a revolution
HappinessModifier = 1.0
ColonyModifier = 1.0
DistanceTo[COLOR="Red"]Captial[/COLOR]Modifier = 1.0
CultureRateModifier = 1.0
NationalityModifier = 1.0
GarrisonModifier = 1.0
ReligionModifier = 1.0
CivSizeModifier = 1.1
CityLostModifier = 1.4
CityAcquiredModifier = 1.2