1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Epic/Marathon

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by embryodead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. meto30

meto30 Chieftain

Oh, I feel so dumb.... (hides)

OK, I'll do it the right way this time.

PS. The problem with the languages is not the lack of Korean tags, but rather the inability of Korean OS to read French and Spanish. As long as there are French and Spanish language in the XML the computer will not be able to read it. There is a utility published by Microsoft that fixes encoding problems(the AppLocale), but it tends to break games, so I'll not use it unless I am absolutely sure I've tried everything else.

2. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Nice!
    Hopefully when RFCEurope get's its final release, this will be included (as well as the CAR).

3. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

I keep getting defeated at start; I do not spawn at all.

4. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Need some info, do you have the full version installed, in a RFCMarathon folder? Does it look normal prior to the game start, i.e. civs, speed selection?

5. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Trying Emperor marathon Viking.

Thanks to Marathon, I can make my starting scout go all way east to China. 1st settler settle Umea (on fur, has copper and iron), 2nd go Kalmar (2 fishes and 1 pig, GP city), 3rd go onboard and sail to Melilla, settle down. Use starting force to conquer Tripolis, Alexanderia (Great Library and Lighthouse, too important), raze Hesperides.

HR/vassalage/caste first. after my first GS I bulbed philosophy and switched to slavery/pacifism. Got calendar and meditation from China and OB too before I adopt Christianity.

Research Civil service, Settled Oslo. Got OB with all other Europe nations. Umea spawn berserker then kill English. Second GS bulbed paper, built Sankore in Umea. Got DR from Mali, built Spiral Minaret in Melilla. In marathon these wonder are more powerful than normal.

Now it is 1267 and I am 3 turns from astronomy, have France, Portugal, Dutch as vassal. 5000 gold in 1500 AD is piece of cake, maybe in marathon it should be 15000.

Tried monarch 3000BC Babylon too. It is easier than normal.

6. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

Are you using the latest version? That change was made in 0.2.

7. youtien

youtien Lyricist

It was 15000 indeed. Sorry. But it is still simple. I had printing press researched that time.

In marathon, civs expand faster than normal game. It is now 18th century and the world is already near full.

8. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

There may not be any need for the free units the AI colonial powers get once they research Astronomy (or whatever). Or at least not as many...

9. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Epic speed is more balanced in this aspect I guess, being only 1.5x times slower and having unit production cost at 1.5x as well. Marathon is 3x slower but unit production is only 2x slower, which means that everyone can produce relatively more units/settlers than in normal or epic game. This is how BTS handles it, and it can be changed to 3x in the XML of course, but when you have 3x more turns you kind of need more units to have some fun in wars.

Alternatively military unit production can be kept at the current 2x, while the cost of settlers and workers could be adjusted to 3x with python. Not sure about colonists, they make the expansion historical, I think that if overall expansion is slowed down on Marathon, there won't be a need to remove them.

10. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Hammurabi leader switch date is wrong, it must be -1600, not 1600. :p
    Also when I start as the Aztecs at marathon speed (there is no such problem at normal), I get this:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      147 KB
      Views:
  11. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

Would it be possible to include the inquisitor unit and the Protestant Reformation in this? That would enhance the game greatly.

There are some threads already out there that do this.

12. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I'd rather keep the original intent of this release, RFC with multiple speeds and no gameplay changes. Other add-ons like protestantism could be posted separately if anyone is up for porting them.

@TimeShifter
    Thanks, I know what's causing it, dates are slightly different in the DLL which makes no difference for Normal/Epic but it doesn't match python turns on Marathon in this case. Will be fixed in next patch.

13. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Research is way too fast imo. America is far behind every other civ, like europe is far behind technologically superior China&India. Also Renaissance in 1200s/Industrial in 1500s is just wrong.

14. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Chieftain

Really? What speed were you playing on? I just won a game as America on Epic and I wasn't that far behind. I ended up #1 in the tech tree by the time I invaded the Middle East for their delicious oil.

15. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Marathon. When I started playing, most (not Khmer, Inca, Mali etc.) civs were close (very close) to modern age.

16. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Chieftain

Ah. That might have been the difference then. Maybe the Marathon needs another look. I think Epic is fine. Were you using the 3000 BC or 600 AD start?

17. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

I tried both.
    In 600 AD civs are more balanced in tech (because there's no 3000BC china and japan), but still very close to modern at american spawn.
    Epic is fine, because tech cost there is 1.5x (and speed is too), but in marathon it's 2.7x, not 3x like game speed.
    105%-160%-285%
    must be
    105%-160%-320% (not 315, because 315 is still too advanced compared to normal)
    Or american UHV will be just impossible, because with current speed France builds SoL approx. 30-50 turns before american spawn

18. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Well spotted TimeShifter, it should have been 315 or 320, not sure where I got 285 from, that was some bad math right there.

19. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Another thing:
    Normal speed - Time victory in 2020
    Epic speed - Time victory in 2020
    Marathon speed - Time victory in... 1975
    Huh?

20. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Yeah, 45 years are missing in the "6 months / turn" part. I'll have to recalculate the calendar for Marathon to fit those missing years. Thanks for all your reports, I only played on Epic myself so they're very helpful - hopefully we're getting there with a balanced version :)