1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Epic/Marathon

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by embryodead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

I've missed the update when you included the helper so I had old fonts. Thank you :)

2. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

I just downloaded latest version and tried it out with Persia on Marathon.

It's turn 441 (100-somethings AD) and my inflation is 25%, which is 49/month gross or almost as much as I pay for civics. and half of my city upkeep.

I understand that inflation is an arbitrary mechanismus to slow down the late game (as research really gets fast then), however both the percentage and the time when it kicks in is neither "late-game" nor "slowing down" (I'd call it "crippling").

Please do something with it in a historically plausible way.
    Current offset of 360 turns is implausible as no one has currency then (how would inflation happen with barter economics?) and doesn't work to solve problems "late-game" (it's barely AD).

If we were to stick to Rhye's original dates and speeds it would look like:
    Offset: 120 * 1500 (epic turn count) / 350 (original RFC turn count) = 515
    Rate: 45% / (1500 / 350) = 11% (the formula is likely more complex, but 23% doesn't seem to make sense).

Can someone help to work out the correct details for it at least to scale up from RFC correctly?

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

I have no idea how the inflation calculation works, could give some additional details?

4. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

Where can I get version 1.21? Pyscenario hasn't been updated for 1.22 yet, and I think Baldyr is busy with something called the "real world" at the moment.

5. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I see no reason why PyScenario wouldn't work with 1.22 if it works with 1.21.

6. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

RFC turn count is 500, not 350, and if you use that, you get offset of -360. I don't recall why inflationpercent was increased from 15% (not 11%) to 23%, looks like some balancing after another person suggested inflation was too low ;) Try changing it to 15% and see how it plays.

7. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

It's not balanced with 23%.
    Try running the turkish.
    It goes up like crazy - from 2% to 21% in a mere 100 turns (turn 643->743).
    In that progression inflation would be 150%+ by the end of game.

The "linear" way of scaling would be 45->30->15.

Also, there is a problem with inflation offset.
    If you start on 3000BC, it will start on turn 360/240/120, which is WAY too early and is contrary to intention of this arbitrary parameter.
    If you start on 600AD, it will start on 632/424/216, which is probably on time (right after the spawn of Dutch).

As I understand, the original intention was to have the inflation work just in the 600AD scenario, because it seemingly has not been tested in the 3000BC scenario.

I think the way this should be solved instead is changing the tech costs for later techs OR adding tech penalties (which could also reflect on cost) in some conditions (roughly matching the late-game speedup).
    This should be possible in DLL/Python and would be a much more elegant solution.
    This can be solved in several ways from very simple (add a year-dependent multiplier in tech cost formula) to very complicated.

8. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

As long as tech multipliers are being dicked around with, they should be 150 for epic and 300 for Marathon, just like in regular Civ IV. If this causes problems, then perhaps the total number of turns on epic and marathon speeds should be changed (as much work as that would be to rebalance everything else)

9. 780

780 Chieftain

hi guys,
    so i splilled some water on my old laptop and went out to get a new one, telling the sales rep 'just make sure i can play civ4 on it'

so i got a samsung fancy laptop, a6 vision amd, quad core radeon dual graphics, windows 7

but now my rfc marathon crashes...

i bough a civ 4 'complete edition', which includes civ 4, warlords, bts, and colonization all on one disc, as this was the only version of civ 4 i could find

i patched bts (3.19)

deleted the old rfc folder

downloaded the latest marathon rfc 1.22

but when i go to 'load a mod' and choose the rfc marathon from the list, it exits the game screen, showing my desktop,shows my icon thinking, and then does nothing, and then around 10secs later my screen flashes for a sec and nothing happens

i just bought this a month ago from bestbuy so i had some of the geeks look at it and they say everything should be compatible, bts works and all the other mods, so it must be the rfc marathon mod that isnt compatible with my fancy new laptop.

please help, ive spent 8 hrs and 2 different best buys and all my computer buddies cant figure it out.

has this happend to anyone else? i cant even play basic rfc on this laptop either...

look forward to your responses/ finally playing rfc marathon again !!!!!!

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Really nothing that should be able to crash your laptop (i.e. graphical additions) are included in RFC E/M, so maybe you just had problems with the installation?

Have you been able to run any other RFC mod that has epic/marathon speed? I think all of them build on RFC E/M so if they run, this mod should too.

11. 780

780 Chieftain

Thanks for your reply,

No I can't play any rhyes mod on my new laptop,

Can you give me very detailed step by step instructions on how to upgrade my BTS and download the latest rhyes mod (basic)?

Once a basic rhyes is working then I ll try the marathon rhyes

Btw when I download the 3.19 patch for BTS, if I go back to see if there are upgrades available it still says YES DOWNLOAD 3.19 is available, so another question is DO I have to take any further steps once I download the 3.19 patch such as unzipping or does it automatically upgrade once the patch is totally finished downloading?

Thanks for your help guys, the more replies the better!!!

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

I think your problem is that you used the ingame option to patch your game, and I've heard reports that this causes problems. Try to download and install the patch from CFC which is available here and see if you get any mod to work afterwards.

13. 780

780 Chieftain

haha!

thank you so much leoreth

yes downloading the patch from the forum was the solution

thanks so much

i havnt played civ in 8 months as ive been busy starting my own business

my brother kept me up to date with his game and it finally pulled me back in so i decided to get back into civ

ive spent the last 10 hrs trying to get the marathon mod to work, neglecting my business, haha

im gonna play right now!

ps whats the difference between 'locked' and 'unlockded' - anybody have a strong opnion one way or the other?

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

When Firaxis included RFC into BtS, they were worried that the long loading times would reflect poorly on their on work (which was pretty stupid if you ask me), so they asked Rhye to disable the late civs. These are the "locked" scenarios. Rhye then made scenarios where all civs are playable available as "unlocked", too. The scenarios are completely identical otherwise, so you can safely discard the locked scenarios.

15. mynystry

mynystry jaguar warrior from hell

Wow, I was looking for something like this! Thanks Embryo, I hope I have time this weekend to try your mod and then give some feedback! :)

16. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

Aaargh. I really want to play this mod but my Norton's antivirus tells me the 1.22 .exe file has the virus WS.Reputation.1. Have you heard this before?

17. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

18. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

Wow. That is fantastic, thank-you. Enough chit-chat, gotta go play DoC.