1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Epic/Marathon

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by embryodead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

Just tried Egypt, was less difficult than I thought it would be, when I discovered that GA's also give 1.5x or 3x as much culture. After that discovery, it wasn't so hard to win, perhaps even easier, since I have more time to micromanage a Great Artist or two. Overall it was a normal RFC game, just a little... longer. And that's exactly what this mod's about. Good job!:)

2. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Chieftain

I know that this problem should be fixed for the next version, but the creator of the Dynamic Starts modmod said that his tech-relativism change should work with this mod. You might try combining the two and see how it affects the marathon starts.

3. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

I doubt a little on this one... Is there any civ that needs it's starting gold that much? Persia perhaps, though they merely rely on city sacking, and it is possible to get Currency before gold reserves run out, so I don't think Persia really needs more gold. Probably the other civs don't really need it either. The only reason I can think of is to make new civs start on par with the others, but that needs to be tested.

4. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Actually another problem is in wrong timing of eras.
    Just got to 1800 as Russia at marathon speed (with 320% tech cost)
    Renaissance was just in time - in early 1400s. But I've got full-scaled industrial (I was a tech leader thanks to tech trading) in ~1720 (must be ~1800). I think missing years should be added primarily in 1600-1700 period.

Also it's 3rd (of 5 starts) time when France gets destroyed by Spain or Germany in Medieval age. Lack of iron is critical for France at marathon.

Rome. But I don't think starting gold should scale up because of mercenaries (or their cost should scale up too (only hire cost(contract income), not cost(income)/turn; 1.5x, 2x like normal units building cost)). They are pure cheat now.

5. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Version 0.3 is up (as patch-only for now)

- Changed Babylon's leader switch date from 1600AD to the proper 1600BC
    - Fixed the bug that caused Aztecs (and probably a few other civs) start with a catapult and 1 turn early on Marathon
    - Research rate on Marathon should be more balanced now (changed Research modifier from 285% to 320%)
    - Time limit is now properly 2020 instead of 1975 on Marathon
    - Mercenary hire cost is now scales with game speed

6. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

Would it be a good fix to add an iron deposit in the Rhone-Alpes region? Lyon or Geneva's tile, for instance?

7. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Tried starting as America in 600 AD and 3000 BC starts. In both SoL was impossible (even though in 3000 BC France was destroyed again - Japan built it).

I'd rather replace aluminium there with iron.

8. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I've built SoL and other wonders as America but on Epic (with France alive too), I was on par with techs and getting the lead soon after. I guess 320% research rate is still too fast on Marathon. I'll look into it later but I have less free time atm and Marathon scares my slow computer. Didn't expect there will be so much balance difference between the two.

9. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

But modern day France should be rich in Aluminium imo

10. Brew

Brew Chieftain

The speed still seems to be off for Epic as well; I played the 600 AD start as England and 2 civs had optics in the 12th century. Thanks for taking on this project though!!

11. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

It's ok until Renaissance (colonization) for some reason. I guess it's because of overall faster city founding (2x settler cost instead of 3x).

I think 1 aluminium is enough. I've changed aluminium 1N of Lyon to iron, need to try starting now and see if France survives.

12. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

Well, I've got to say: I love it. Normal RFC just seemed empty, going way too fast. Just one thing I've noticed is that Greece becomes way too powerful all the time. The last game, they lasted until about the fourteenth century. Awesome job!! :cool::goodjob:

13. ezsobre

ezsobre Chieftain

Hi--i've got the RFC Marathon folder in my BTS mods folder but can't get it to work. When i boot it up by loading a mod, it tells me i have 12 or so XML errors, i click through, get ot the main screen, and then i'm presented with the option of choosing a scenario or to play the game, neitehr of which leads me to anything that seems like a RFC game.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I saw that this won't work on a mac on the first page. Is this true for an intel mac running windows?

14. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

If you're running Windows OS, it should work fine.

My guess is that you possibly installed the patch only. At this point you need to install full version first (0.2) then the 0.3 patch. RFCMarathon folder should be about 109MB in size.

15. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

The basic compatibility point: This requires a modified (from standard RFC) DLL to function properly. Only the Windows version of BTS knows what to do with modified DLLs.
    XML errors, on the other hand, are the sign of a botched installation.

16. hefan

hefan Chieftain

Hi, I am trying to set the settler and worker costs on marathon to 3x, but I am not sure which file in python will allow me to make the adjustment.

17. Danger Bird

Danger Bird gravity's angel

fdgsgds seems to have solved his problem, but I have the same problem.

I put the RFCMarathon folder in the BTS > Mods folder. Game start is fine, I select civ, select speed, and then the game starts to load. Then, as soon as the autoplay would begin, I get the window "You have been defeated" and have to return to the main menu.

Edit: Thought it might work if I play a civ that starts at the beginning, or on normal. But just tried Egyptians on normal and also, "You have been defeated."

18. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

@Danger Bird
    fdgsgds will have to say something, since I don't know what it was - probably some installation issue. Would be nice to hear so I can give better instructions in the 1st post.

@hefan
    It's a bit complex since you have to copy CvGameUtils.py from BTS and add a gamespeed and unittype check to the getUnitCostMod function... alternatively wait till I do it, it's simple but I dying from overwork right now.

19. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

Quick trivia question, does this work in MP?

20. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

No MP.