1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Epic/Marathon

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by embryodead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ozon

ozon Chieftain

Unfortunatly things turned out like i guessed...

I get an AppCrash around 14th century, when merging RFC E/M with the VDstyles.

I don´t have the complete errormessage at hand, but was someting like:

AppCrash
    Civ4BeyondSword.exe
    0000005c

Tried first to reload a couple of former autosaves, after this didn't help, i removed gradually all files i copied from VD.
    My first suspicion was, that the additional XML stuff i added (se previous post) causing the crash, but it turned out, that i had to remove the 3 .PAK-files and the MODULES-folder as well, to get things working again...

Anyone has played RFC M/E with VD and experienced the same?:sad:

2. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

@ozon
    I can't promise anything, but if you post a save from just before the crash, I can try to debug it. There will be information on what exactly went wrong either in the logs or failed asserts.

@everyone
    I'm going to do a small RFCM update to include BTS on Speed - it was very easy to merge fortunately. My calculations say it added 6% only in the first 100 turns, which means it should speed the game up by 10-15% in mid- and late-game when much more civs are active.

On that occasion I have a question: do you feel that the default gamespeed scaling of research etc. needs a fix? Mind you, the problem is that increasing the values makes late game more in-line with history, but also makes the early game too slow, with possible side-effect such as undoable Indian UHV. Current values were adjusted based on Turkey start, but research progresses too fast later, i.e. with American start. Coding time-based adjustments, i.e. is an option but it interferes with the rules which may be out of scope of this mod and might make it more problematic to merge.

Another thing: I know there were some issues with the extra DLL functionality. Naming wasn't working properly and there was no function for changing civ colors. Anything else?

3. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Huh, I could probably dream up a thousand things. But when put on the spot I can't think of anything in particular...

We can revisit this subject at a future date, I hope! :king:

4. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

I would say a small increase in tech cost would be fair. At this time the USA can get the Statue 1 out of every like 6 games on marathon. Epic seems fine to me however.

Edit: Also a fairly small increase in settler costs at least for the colonial civs would allow the US to not be strangled at spawn

5. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

Does this mod have an MP version?
    Or is there any hack or something that allows MP in it?

Or maybe is there any way to play "later civs" with a 3000 BC start?

Thank you and your mod is great, I play mostly it. :)

6. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

Ok, I made it playable by enabling in the scenario file, but now I have this problem that I can't trade techs (it says from my side "we don't want to trade away this tech just yet").

Perhaps there is more stuff, that is hardcoded for a civ, not isPlayable/isNotPlayable dependant.

Could you point me out to those definitions, so I can edit them?

7. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

Actually the inability to trade techs went away after a few turns. :)

8. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

@binTravkin - it works exactly like normal RFC - in order to play later civs you choose the "unlocked" scenarios. No need to edit anything.

9. ozon

ozon Chieftain

Thanks for your generous offer embryodead!

As demanded, here is the affected savefile - the crash happens on the 2nd turn after loading.

Attached Files:

10. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Dear Ozon,
    I'm really sorry, I had a break and then forgot about you. The problem is that VD is normally modular, but it seems that Lone Wolf added 1 extra unit on its own, in a non-modular way.

A fix for this requires:
    - copying "cannonmed" folder from RFC VD/Assets/Art/Units to RFCMarathon/Assets/Art/Units
    - copying CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml from RFC VD/Assets/XML/Art/ to RFCMarathon/Assets/XML/Art

This overwrites original files but since RFC VD is no longer modular, there's no other way. I might contact Lone Wolf and ask him about repacking the mod so that it can work properly with all modmods out there, including RFCM, DoC etc.

11. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Download from MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?y954j22y2f89o3e

The main problem with Epic/Marathon was that research was often too fast. Increasing the research penalties didn't work too well, because that made research in Ancient Times too slow, making some UHVs unachievable (i.e. India's). In this version, research on Epic/Marathon gets slower as the game progresses, which solves the first problem without creating another one. The mod has been tested with both 3000 BC and 600 AD Turkey and America starts and appears to be much more balanced than previous versions.

This version also includes BTS on Speed 2.0 by Sephi as well as some extra BBAI speed tweaks by Uncut Dragon for even more speed!

- Lowered the research modifers on Epic/Marathon (faster research, but see below)
    - Added a progressive balancing system that gradually increases research costs by up to 20% in the mid- to late-game (only affects Epic/Marathon)
    - Merged in speed tweaks from BTS on Speed 2.0 by Sephi
    - Merged in Uncut Dragon's speed tweak from Better BTS AI
    - SDK update (modders only):
    -- CyPlayer.setCivilizationType now updates the civ color, flag*, art style and other graphical stuff
    -- CyPlayer.setRevolutionTimer and CyPlayer.changeRevolutionTimer - exposed functions to manipulate revolution timer

* - flag of the active (human) player isn't updated until game is reloaded

Note for modmodders: if you're updating a mod that includes RFCM, look for these changes:
    - all code signed by "Sephi" and "BETTER_BTS_AI_MOD"
    - CvInfos.cpp (CvHandicapInfo::getResearchPercentByID)
    - CvPlayer.cpp (CvPlayer::setCivilizationType)
    - CyPlayer.cpp, CyPlayer.h, CyPlayerInterface1.cpp (setRevolutionTimer)
    - XML/GameInfo/CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

12. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Sweet, I'll have to try this with the Dymanic Byzantium mod-mod and then include the feature into the next release of PyScenario. :goodjob:

What is a "revolution" then? Is it the same as Anarchy? Or does the "revolution timer" change the allowed time to change civics/religion?

13. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

It's the timer between civic changes (not religion - that is controlled by the other function - setConversionTimer)

14. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Aha, was this something I was complaining about earlier, perhaps? :blush: Or did someone else request it?

15. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Oh, and I should probably uninstall the previous version of RFCM before running the executable, right? This also means backup of all PyScenario related modules and add-ons before I do... (What changes are there in CvEventManager?)

16. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

No, I just needed this for SoI and since it's a built-in DLL function that just needed exposing to Python, I added it to RFCM.

The executable installs the full RFCMarathon mod. It will overwrite old files but it won't remove any extra files that you had in the folder, e.g. PyScenario.

I listed all changes in the post - nothing about event manager.

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Ok, then I need to backup the PyScenario version of the Event Manager prior to re-installation. :D

By the way, the new-and-improved CyPlayer.setCivilizationType() method makes the use of the CyPlayer.setFlag() method superfluous, right?

18. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Not really, you may still have cases where you want to change the flag without changing the whole civilization.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Great update, and the modmodding guide will prove helpful for sure. Thanks again :)

20. GodRaimundo

GodRaimundo Chieftain

This looks cool, but my computer doesn't like mediafire, so is there anywhere else I could download it from?