RFC Epic

I download, use winzip wizard thing and choose unzip and install then everything just kinda disappears...

Maybe you should choose to unzip files and folders to desktop (or to any other location you won't forget). Because unzipping/downloading often sends those files to a temp folder somewhere, unless you specify you want it elsewhere. And then good luck finding your downloads and unzips...

I have started with France like around 15 times now and have only been able to get Notre Dame 1 time. I always make a bee-line for it but it is usually built before I can even discover my first tech eng. Is it just a problem with epic?

Is this on 3000BC start of 600AD start?

As far as if it is epic only, I don't know, as I haven't played RFC in forever.
Check the surviving civ's tech level, and let me know if they are very far ahead. This is probably only a RFC Epic thing, and adjusting the tech costs might fix this.

Come on people, this sort of feedback is what I need! I can't balance RFC Epic without it.

It is from the 600 AD start but I have saved turn 1 of France when they settle Paris and replay off this. I may just have been unlucky while waiting for France to come about and anouther Civ had some good things happen to it. I will start from scratch (600 AD) now when I replay France and tell you if it was just bad luck, and not needing adjustment.

Also the wow wikki suggests forming a city west of the Rhine to get the iron resource. Was there a iron resource in vanilla RFC and not epic? Or does it want you to raise Bordeuax (sp) and start it one square south?

I love the epic speed of RFC. keep up the good work.

My thoughts -

I played a few starts as America from the 600AD start on Monarch difficulty:

From what I gathered, America usually starts a few techs ahead of other Civs to give them room in which to get their economy up and running. The starts I tried had America already behind almost every other nation in the tech race and tech choices of 50-60 turns.

The other major issue I was running into was that North America was already pretty well settled. Germany usually had a city in Texas, Britain had Canada over to Winnipeg, France was dominant in the South all the way to the Rockies. Now I know that there was extensive European settlement at the time, it is pretty hard to found a Civ in this situation, usually only have room for Washington and Chicago, plus the 2-3 East Coast cities that flip.

I just started a new game at monarch and 600 AD. I made a hard effort towards Notre Dame and got it this time. There was two wonders discovered before my Dame but maybe my prior save had a civ hard set on notre dame. I also noticed that game plays a lot differently now in my new save. Spain was a butt and settled a city (Leon) near Bodauex (sp) which never occured in my last saved game of 15 attempts of france. I dont mind this because the game isnt as scripted. I think it is fine to change my approach some each time.

Okay, looks like the techs are too easy to get, I'll scale the research costs up a bit for the next version. How have you noticed your tech speeds?

As far as my tech costs go in my current Japan game on Monarch -

Around 1300 I was 6-7 techs ahead of everyone else and my techs were coming in at about 15-20 turns each. I had 3 cities in Japan, 1 in Korea, 2 in Phillipines, and 1 in Okinawa (Naha). I sold 2-3 (we are talking techs like Calendar, Paper, Guilds) to everyone for some easy cash.

Fast forward to 1600, I'm working on Steam Power, my tech times are about the same, maybe a tad quicker, I've snagged 3 cities in China after their collapse also, and suddenly England has Rifling and everyone else grabs Military Science. Seems like the computer does a good job of catching up in the Renissance (which is pretty accurate). But I wonder if they would've gotten up there so quick if I hadn't helped them. Around 1500 none of the European powers had Astronomy so I helped them out so they could get to colonizing.

I hope all of this helps!

As France I never lead the tech race. But the tech flow seems about right. I just seemed to had a problem with that intial race to Notre Dame. I am still new into my recent game with france and will tell you how it goes.

Ok im playing as the Russian and im on turn 148, 1460 AD

This is how far ahead everyone was in tech when I met them. I met them in the order I list. Anyone else not posted I haven't met yet or i didn't meet for awhile.

0300 Research points behind The Germans
2000 Research points behind The French
7000 Research points behind The Arabians
1000 Research points behind The Vikings
2400 Research points behind The Chinese
6700 Research points behind the Netherlands
5700 Research points behind the Japanese

No one has had a civil war since 600 AD(???suspicious???) and only the Netherlands have been Shaky/Unstable for more than a few turns(The Netherlands???).

By turn 161, 1400 AD Most Civs have Guilds, Civil Service, Paper, and Engineering up on me.

On Turn 178, 1442 AD Germany and Netherlands(Vassal) Declared war on me.

I haven't had any Plagues yet also(???)

Still no Plagues

1540 AD-The Arabian Civilization has been destroyed be the Turks

Farm Glitch? Can build farms anywhere. No mention of Irrigation in Civilopedia.
1st Russian UHV doesn't trigger on(or after) 1700 AD.
Years are messed up...? Years are confusing me... can u change it with next version so month doesn't change till it has to? Also I suggest Summer and Fall instead of January and July.

Screenshots of Russian UHV:

after looking at the screenshots I just realized there has been a plague but It only hit Portugal(or I was sleeping through it) but it didn't hit me...

Thanks for the tips, I think I will be increasing the tech costs a bit.

What start did you choose?

Finally, how does everyone else feel about the Months/Seasons? If you want seasons, it should be pretty easy to get the functionality I had in Vanilla/Warlords back into BtS.

Has anyone else noticed the plagues acting funky?

I've had issues with the plague starting up in a city and then never spreading. I guess the first time I wrote it off to luck, after that I didn't pay attention too much.

Maybe you should leave tech costs alone and just get the plagues going, then we'll see how that affects the research rates.

I'm playing as the Russians too and I'm not having an issue with tech. I built tons of cottages around my 4 starting cities - Moscow, Kiev, St. Petersburg, and Rostov. I try to beeline for techs the AI usually doesn't go for, that way I can trade them for the techs I need. It is about 1550 now and I'm caught up or past everyone except France - they have Liberalism and Nationalism up on me. I just finished Economics first and am going to beeline towards Cossacks.

Top Bottom