RFC Europe map development thread

Sorry, I've been a bit tired over the last couple weeks. My new job has completely changed my sleep patterns; I'm only now getting into a new rhythm. I am working on the maps though.

Hey everyone, sorry about the huge wait, I've been doing my GCSE exams. I'll start contributing again now though ^_^.

I've also made it possible for members to remove, delete and rename files.

Changes noted and Thanks. Welcome back!:goodjob:

Heh, thanks. Has someone finished Britain in my absence?

You mean the settler map? Yes, D. Zavoevattel did that. Check out the maps in the files (bottom
of the page) for maps done, but not yet put into code by Umarth. Some still on the way as well.
I think Virdrago was doing N. Europe civs? ijnavy was working on Kievan Rus and Russia?
Final Ottoman map soon to be posted from 3Miro? Not sure about Poland and Hungary though.:)

Re: The Wiki

Lucifer and Jessiecat are now moderators. I'm going to see if I can make a "contributor" class that will allow moderator action on the files and pages associated with RoE but not the wiki as a whole.

Re: The Wiki

Lucifer and Jessiecat are now moderators. I'm going to see if I can make a "contributor" class that will allow moderator action on the files and pages associated with RoE but not the wiki as a whole.

Thanks for that. Just wanted to update files really.:)

Thanks. I actually have the week free - if there's something in particular that needs my attention on the wiki, now would be a good time for me to look at it.

Just an update for you. Settler maps are progressing slowly with some ready for coding.
Waiting for more input of proposed tech tree and unit lists plus interraction between them.
Maybe we should open new sub-headings on the wiki for these. Are you happy with basic
map or are we waiting for more terrain to be added? Any suggestions as to which area we
should focus on now?:)

Just an update for you. Settler maps are progressing slowly with some ready for coding.
Waiting for more input of proposed tech tree and unit lists plus interraction between them.
Maybe we should open new sub-headings on the wiki for these. Are you happy with basic
map or are we waiting for more terrain to be added? Any suggestions as to which area we
should focus on now?:)

I'm pretty happy with the basic map - changes at this point are likely to be new terrain types and resources, and where to put them.

At this point, I think the best we can do is work on the tech/unit tree, for those of us incapable of coding.

I'm pretty happy with the basic map - changes at this point are likely to be new terrain types and resources, and where to put them.

At this point, I think the best we can do is work on the tech/unit tree, for those of us incapable of coding.

OK. I agree we should get moving on the techs. Are we using the present tech tree as a basic template?
If so, many early ones are redundant. I'll try to work out a basic tech start and post it for discussion. Also a revised version of my earlier unit list with required techs where possible.

BTW Have you included the changes for Scotland and Venice in the map? Maybe worth
reposting the latest version to the wiki? And could you please take a look again at my idea
for bare plains/hills replacing the snow placeholders, as I've suggested in the Scotland proposal?
Unless, of course there is another terrain type now available for moorland.Thanks:)

Ottoman map uploaded on the wiki. The maps that say Seller map Byzantine/Bulgaria/Ottomans have been aligned for the Balkan part. There is an old Bulgarian map that is obsolete (should probably be deleted).

As for the resources, I was wondering about something like "Strategic Access to Ocean". All of the Colonial powers had access to the Atlantic and those build the colonies. Make that resource requirement for some colony projects and build some faster with it. The idea is to make thing so that western civs have colonial advantage (historically accurate). Think of Egypt and Babylon in RFC, they would get most of the early wonders which is accurate.

Ottoman map uploaded on the wiki. The maps that say Seller map Byzantine/Bulgaria/Ottomans have been aligned for the Balkan part. There is an old Bulgarian map that is obsolete (should probably be deleted).

As for the resources, I was wondering about something like "Strategic Access to Ocean". All of the Colonial powers had access to the Atlantic and those build the colonies. Make that resource requirement for some colony projects and build some faster with it. The idea is to make thing so that western civs have colonial advantage (historically accurate). Think of Egypt and Babylon in RFC, they would get most of the early wonders which is accurate.

Great. A couple of those maps are already in code but not one I think. So I'll
leave that for coding and move the rest. And delete obsolete ones. Thanks.:)

Not sure about Poland and Hungary though.:)

Jesus christ, there's dozens of errors in the hungarian city names in the Major Cities Map. Lots of cities aren't in hungarian language but romainian or serbian... For example, Cluj is Kolozsvár in hungarian, and that was the name of the city from 1100 to 1920.
I'll do the hungarian city name map if i can.

Is this map final? Jungle in Russia? Where ara the resources anyway?

Jesus christ, there's dozens of errors in the hungarian city names in the Major Cities Map. Lots of cities aren't in hungarian language but romainian or serbian... For example, Cluj is Kolozsvár in hungarian, and that was the name of the city from 1100 to 1920.

Please totally ignore the Major Cities Map. It was for another mod. Bettler still, I'd better delete it from the files.

We DO need a settler map for Hungary. Use the excel blank on the wiki page and make it for the whole area that Hungary might settle. And then post it to this thread.

We also need settler maps for the Norse, Sweden, Poland, Austria and Germany.:)

Please re-read at least a few pages of the thread - I realize that it's pretty long. Jungle is on the map as a placeholder for swamp, which is not available in the Civ4 WB engine, but will be included in the mod. The snowy areas in the British Isles and the Baltic region represent another terrain type not included in the standard engine. Taiga-style forests are intended to be unchoppable.

Resources aren't finished yet. The plan was to change many of them to resources more relevant to the era and location, and the intent was to redo resource placement on the map after we had the skeleton of the mod (with updated resources and terrain types) in place.

If this ends up being too complicated for us to code, I'll work with the resources we've got and redo those on the existing map.

Please totally ignore the Major Cities Map. It was for another mod. Bettler still, I'd better delete it from the files.

We DO need a settler map for Hungary. Use the excel blank on the wiki page and make it for the whole area that Hungary might settle. And then post it to this thread.

Okay, I'll try to create the settler map in a few days.
Did you mean I should ignore all parts of the map and the terrain, or just the city names? If all, where can I download the map with the correct terrain and with the river Tisza for example?

PS: Thanks for the explanation, st.lucifer.

Okay, I'll try to create the settler map in a few days.
Did you mean I should ignore all parts of the map and the terrain, or just the city names? If all, where can I download the map with the correct terrain and with the river Tisza for example?

PS: Thanks for the explanation, st.lucifer.

The Major Cities Map is not relevant. Our map is the one posted most recently by st. lucifer.
See post 413 on this thread for the link. You can use it or the excel macro blank map on the
wiki to make a settler map. Just download it, save it, and make your changes,. Then post it here. OK?

Top Bottom