1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe map development thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Did you read the previous post. ? (417) :rolleyes:

2. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

I looked at the map. I think that marble should be added in Tuscany. There are located the biggest marble quarries in Italy, where there is Carrara (in the map maybe one tile north of Pisa?)

3. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Don't worry. :D The resources are really preliminary, and I don't think I redid the marble/stone resources yet. There will definitely be some marble in Italy.

Rhye, I can see your argument for enlarging the British Isles, but I think they're pretty close to being proportional with the rest of Europe, and as stated before, I'm reluctant to give England any more to work with. They'll have a much higher concentration of resources than most civs, lots of trade from coastal cities, and good food and production from livestock and all the hills.

Jessiecat, if you'd like to put up a WB of your proposed addition to Scotland, I would like to see it. I'm having a hard time envisioning it, other than stretching the Lothian region another tile?

The Hungarians are further south than modern-day Hungary both for historical reasons and for geographic balance. Austria's going to have a tough time surviving, and this way Hungary competes with Venice and Bulgaria for the Balkans, as well as Austria for the Danube valley.

4. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

OK. I've had a go at slightly enlarging Scotland, mostly in the north and NW
    but also in the SW to represent Dumfrieshire which should more prominent.
    Don't worry about the terrain features though I've rejigged the mts. a bit
    and left more of a gap between them to represent the Great Glen (Inverness
    to Fort William). Just my idea but I think it looks a bit more proportional.
    Here are the screenshots. What do you think?:)

BTW I think Edinburgh should be moved 1 tile NE.

5. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

No worries, it's the only thing remotely useful that came to my mind. Nice work

6. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I like the changes, especially to the mountains - I'll put them into the main map. Did you mean move Edinburgh 1 NE from the spot that you have it shown here, or did you mean to keep it the way it's shown in the second screenshot?

7. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I meant 1 sq. NE from where it is in the screen shot. I'd suggest moving the river 1 sq. N as well
    to keep Edinburgh on the river. You'll note also I've left the area NE of Inverness fairly flat as it
    is pretty much farmland in reality.
    BTW How do the grassy hills look to you to represent moorland? That's what I suggested in my earlier post.:)

8. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Finally I did upload the Bulgarian and Byzantine settler maps to the Wiki. Sorry for the delay.

There is a zipped WB Bulgarian settler map already in the files, however, it is out of date. Would it be presumptuous to delete that one?

9. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I would. Yes please. I've actually tried to do it but it says I have to be an administrator to do that. Frustrating, As I'd like to slightly revise the Arab settler map I did.:)

10. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

When I try to delete, this is what happens:

Sorry, you can not delete file in this page. Only owner (creator) of this page, site administrators and perhaps selected moderators are allowed to.

I don't think we should ask Rhye to spend time managing our files, however, I wonder if it would be possible to set either St. Lucifer or jessiecat as moderators or something so that we can edit the files. This problem would only get worse as we start working on the code.

11. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Same problem as I had. I'm happy with St. Lucifer as a wiki moderator. I think Talkie Toaster was the creator, Kairob and Rhye are moderators and Umarth and Disenfranchised have access to files as well. Umarth was converting our settler maps to code but I don't know what's happening now. There's lots of maps in the files with some coming from ijnavy, D. Zavoevatell, Virdrago and others. So plenty of coding left to do.
    However everybody seems pretty quiet at the moment. Guess they're all busy with their own stuff. Frustrating I know as it'd be nice to crack on a bit faster with this mod. That's not a dig at St. Lucifer or anybody else. Everybody's got personal lives and priorities to deal with, which come first. Just a bit frustrating, as I've said.:)

12. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

My exams will finally be over this week after which I'll be taking a short holiday and then I'd very much like to have (another) crack at some code.

13. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I hope you don't have the same problem 3Miro and I have. Once we load the settler maps into the wiki files we are not allowed to retrieve them or delete old ones because we're not administrators or moderators. If you can't either then we'll have to get somebody like Talkie Toaster or Rhye to arrange access for us. I don't think even St. Lucifer has access either.:confused:

14. ijnavy

ijnavy Czar

I can load them into the wiki. If you want, you can upload the settler maps and I'll put them into code and then into the wiki.

15. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

What do you mean by wiki files?

16. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Click "files" at the bottom of the wiki main page. There you will find a number of settler maps that
    3Miro, myself and others have uploaded. We can add more maps to those files but are not allowed
    to extract, alter or delete them once they are there. As 3Miro has described, we get a
    message denying us because we are not the originator of the site, an administrator or a
    selected moderator. Try it yourself. Hope you have more luck.:)

BTW If not there, where did you want us to post our excel maps for coding?

17. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Well I can download them fine but I can't delete them like you say. Just upload new files when you make changes and call them v1, v2, etc.

18. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

OK. That's fine. As long as you can use them once they're posted there.
    Eventually, though, somebody like yourself or St. Lucifer will need access to edit or
    delete them. Maybe Talkie Toaster could be asked to expand the no. of named moderators.
    How about that?:)

EDIT FYI The latest Arab and the Ottoman settler maps are now listed as 16.6 xls.
    The Bulgaria and Byzantine ones are there too (bottom of the list)

19. D. Zavoevatell

D. Zavoevatell Джереми Завоеватель

I was feeling a little guilty about being MIA, but as long as I'm not the only one getting some rest I feel a little bit better. :)
    I'll be excited to be able to 'import' and change the codes we have once you get to them! Once that's done we'll finally be finished with some things. Of course, if Scotland's changing, who's to say we won't change France and Spain? Nevertheless, any step towards finalization is a step in the right direction...

I haven't looked at Scotland since I am spending June with my sisters and July at Arabic Camp (both without PCs or CIV) but I think that any improvement is good. I don't know that we want Scotland any bigger, but if we do than that's great.

The deleting files issue is a menace. :( However, the worst that can happen is there are boring old files lying around. Hardly a scandal. :)

I like st. lucifer's updated general map from what I've read in the post (I haven't seen that one either) and I'm hoping [insert generous donor here] has been working on Northern Europe as s/he so munificently offered. :cheers:

I feel kind of useless as a contributer, but at least you have a somewhat handsome cheerleader! :woohoo::banana:

20. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Sorry for my recent absenteeism. I'd be happy to have you as wiki moderator, if you can get toaster to give you admin status.

I'm still reading stuff, but haven't had much chance to post anything in depth recently. I'm mostly working on stuff related to the tech tree.