1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe map development thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

If you have terrain changes in Hungary, go for it - send me a screenshot of the before and after, and I'll update it.

2. Andrrew

Andrrew Warlord

After studying the atlas and historical maps with one of my geography-guru friend, we decided to do some major changes on the terrain + resources in the Carpathian Basin bacuse we find it quite inaccurate. We can delete the resources if you say so, but there were already a few ones in wrong places.
    We did the changes on the map posted in #413 in this thread, and saved the WBSave file. From what you said I think that's not the latest version of the map. If it is, I'll upload the savefile.
    If not, I can do the works again, if you send me the latest map. (I think you don't want to change all that stuff we did. If you do, I can upload the screenshots or send you the Civ4BTSWBSave anyway.)

Regards,
    Andrrew

3. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Resources all over the map will have to be reconsidered. For example, as of right now, Bulgaria does not have horses and their UU would be mounted. I am currently busy with the code, I can add late start civs as AI, but they do not work as human players (autoturns do not execute).

Just to clarify, is there anyone (other than me) on the project that understands c++. I could use some help with the code.

4. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I'd be happy to reconfigure the master in response to your changes, if I agree with them. There are some deliberate inaccuracies for game balance, and the resources aren't even close to being finalized (actually, I don't think I put much of anything in the Balkans, which will obviously have to change), but if you have suggestions on terrain types and rivers that i've screwed up, I'd like to see them. Preliminary resource placements will also be helpful, so go ahead and send them along.

The last map I posted in this thread is basically the current version. I may have done some corrections to it since then, but not enough to post a new variation. Generally, I try to add corrections when they come in and are agreed upon, and when there's enough change to the map, I repost the updated version. If the link to the last version is down, PM me and I'll send you a copy by email.

3Miro, I sadly have no coding skills. Umarth does, but I'm not sure if he's still working on it.

5. Andrrew

Andrrew Warlord

Here's the WBSave file in the archive:
    View attachment Hungary changed.zip

I don't know those deliberate inaccuracies, but we did everything as accurate as possible to the era. Feel free to change anything for whatever balance reason of course.

6. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Andrrew, I looked at your proposed changes and couldn't tell the difference in the terrain from yours and the original. Would it be possible for you to redo this, having cleaned off the city names? Or was it the city names/placements that you had you were suggesting changes in?

7. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Thread bfwd for map discussions.

EDIT

Just to keep this thread up to date. I'm working on the Germany/Austria CityName map. Could it also do for the Netherlands as well or do we really need specfic Dutch spellings for cities in Germany? Having one to cover all three civs would be so much easier to do.

8. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

See above.:D

9. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

If you post the German city names map here, I could change the names into Dutch names. Only a few big cities are different (Berlin -> Berlijn, Aachen -> Aachen), so it shouldn't be too hard. :p

10. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

OK. But what I'm saying is that if the Dutch found a city in the German spawn zone should it be a Dutch name or would it be OK to use the German spelling?
    What I'm trying to avoid is making 3 separate CityName maps for Northern Europe for the Germans, the Austrians and the Dutch. Or could their own names be OK in their own historic area? Making one map would be a lot easier.:)

11. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

I understood that part. As I said most names are the same, except a few, which I can change if needed. So it's simply copy-paste with a some small changes.
    Or am I missing something now (because of my bad English)?

12. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I mean could I make only one map which all 3 civs could use. I appreciate your offer but maybe we can use 1 name for each town instead of 2 or 3 different spellings, depending on who settles it. Thanks.:)

13. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

We really have individual city name maps for each Civ anyway (that's just how it's coded), so I think it would be great if Wessel could slightly modify your German city names to make a more flavorful Dutch version.

14. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I'm not disagreeing but actually we don't have individual city name maps for all civs. The Norse and Sweden share the same map. As do the Arabs and the Cordobans. And the French and Burgundy as well. As would the Russians and the Kievan Rus. But'll I'll complete one for Germany/Austria tomorrow and Wessel can edit it into a specifically Dutch map. OK?:)

15. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Finally got around to finishing the Germany/Austria CityName map. If Wessel wants to have a look at it maybe he can adapt some of the names so it can be used for the Netherlands as well.

16. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Could you please post it in a .zip file? It seems that my computer can't open .rar files anymore for some reason:confused: .

Anyway, I won't be home this weekend so I'll probably post my file on Tuesday.

17. Cornelio

Cornelio Chieftain

I was working on the Dutch city-name-map. Seems like Wessel was doing the same thing, but I don't think he is going to finish it.

Some plots need to be changed around the Netherlands and England:
    Spoiler :

London needs to be one place down too.
    Furthermore, the German and Burgundian cities around the Netherlands aren't 100% accurate. I shall fix that.

18. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

You can change all the white tiles in Britain and elsewhere to grass IMO. Hills with grass will have to do for moorland until we can find something better.

19. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Are you proposing changes to the coastline, or just to city placement? If it's the first, change it in WB, take a screenshot, and show me what it looks like. If the second, that's probably fine. Thanks for updating the city maps.

20. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

@st. Lucifer: if you are making any changes to the WB file, use the latest one in whatever the latest test version of the game is. Otherwise it is too much trouble for me, the current WB contains a lot of information about the civs that is not in the original map 3.03.