1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I don't care what you said, everyone knows how did you mean it
    But you should stop this, I'm really patient but it starts to annoy me too
    If you want to suggest something, tell us in a normal way.
    Both 3Miro and I will consider it if it's constructive

The_J, this is a fun thread for you, right? :D

2. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Re-tried RFCE for the first time in a long time with the latest version. Played as Spain, went for the UHV. First one was completed well before the deadline. The second one (have the most colonies) was completed a few turns before the deadline, with a whopping 1 colony. By the time I quit in 1588 the only colony completed by the AI was the Aztec conquest. For the third (conquer 3 cities from a protestant nation), I declared on France (who had recently become protestant) and took 4 of their cities, all of which had protestantism present in them. I then just had to wait 18 turns or so to find out that I had failed the 3rd UHV.

I don't know if the UHV's are still broken or if you define the 3rd goal differently then I did, but this may or may not be helpful to you guys.

3. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Spanish 3d UHV had a bug. Thanks for reporting it.

4. Olaf_The_Great

Olaf_The_Great Omnicidal Oligarch

I'll play through another Byzantine game and see if I can reproduce the bug, as for Cordoba I do have a savegame, how do I upload it?

5. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Post a reply to the thread and below the space for writing and all the funny faces, there a "manage attachments" part. You can use that to upload your savegame as an attachment.

6. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Bug: I founded Protestantism as the Dutch (which should be kinda weird itself), but I did it with a missionary. So, there was no holy city of Protestantism. As a result, nobody converted to Protestantism.

Oh by the way,
    Spoiler :
    If someone wants to see a REALLY powerful Byzantium, it even controls Kiev, he should take a look too.

And it's very nice to have Nijmegen under my control.:lol:

EDIT: Apparently civfanatics won't let me upload the file. I'll see if I can find another way to post it.

7. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

Anyone know how to survive the plague during a very active war? I always lose all my units in cities and lose because of the plague.

8. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Without cheating, the only way to save your units is moving them more than 3 tiles away from the city that is hit by the plague.

9. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

that doesn't help me when I'm under assault in the middle of a war. I understand plague is historically accurate, but it sucks for gameplay.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

If someone is attacking one of your cities and has a stack nearby, plague will affect his units too
    So I don't consider this such a huge problem gameplay-wise

11. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

It does when he has a bunch of knights 3 squares away that happen to see that my border city just lost all my units too the plague. Yeah that happens way too much.

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Has anyone noticed that the province of Malta covers exactly one tile? I recommend merging Malta with Sicily since Malta was part of the Kingdom of Sicily 1127-1798

13. yogiebere

yogiebere Civilization City Planner

I agree with the plague talk here. It's often very weird for the gameplay. It starts in some random place, lets say portugal. Over about 5 turns it spreads all over Europe. Your cities lose ~5 population and you might lose some units if you don't move them well (easily avoided in my opinion).

Overall it seems to do little to stunt the growth of armies but can be a good deterrent to large cities like an 18 population venezia. The problem I have is that it takes about 10 turns to do its deal (many less than previous versions), which is generally about 30 years. Didnt the plague take place over about 3 years or so? thats about 1 turn.

So if this would be possible (probably not, its likely one of those oh rhye did some intense programming magic that no one else can decipher), why not have it be so that when a city gets it, all cities within like a 15 tile radius will get plague and only for say 2 turns. If the plague starts in say iceland and no plague spreads then it will automatically spread to the closest city (to ensure it actually does something).

It could be that cities lose 20% of population (rounded down) per turn (for two turns). So a hugely urban city say a 21 population Paris would lose 4 population then another 3, droppings its population to 14 (exactly 33% which was the approximate population loss in european countries).

Cities under 5 population wouldn't lose population (the 20% rule and to prevent new cities from simply being driven into the ground).

Perhaps all ground units with 2 tiles of the city have a 80% chance to live per turn, so on average 64% survive (again about the 1/3 lost in the great plague).

Perhaps recently established civs could be exempt, say a new civ (within 10 turns) can't receive plague or start the plague (i doubt this will cause the plague from spreading, if it did then it would defer to the "closest" rule outlined earlier).

14. The Flame8

The Flame8 Prince

I disagree here. I like the mechanics, but the effects on units are a little harsh. Just a minor comment, but nothing major should reall be changed.

15. Steb

Steb King

I agree that the plague is too long. At first it does bring some excitement, but after a few turns, when all your cities are infected, it's just about waiting for it to go away, because you can't really build/conquer/do anything during it. Even without any considerations for its harshness, plague is a bit boring.

16. kochman

kochman Deity

I haven't played the most recent version...
    Before my problem with the plague is it would kill pretty much every unit and reduce most cities to a 1 population...
    Does this still occur? Or has it been toned down?

17. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Would it be possibly to write a civ unique start pop-up? In this way you could give some outlines for the challenges that awaits that civ to new players.

18. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Code would be easy, getting someone to write the text for each civ would be hard.

19. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Yeah, true. I was thinking something about the lines of civ 5, a rather pompous loading screen. But that might too much.

20. El Bogus

El Bogus Prince

The cities-razed-counter doesn't reset, when you start a second Norse game.
    I'd like to post a screen, but it doesn't work... :(
    Edit: And it counts Lübecks razing.