1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Most of them true....

I had a try with them too, i wanted to build a huge ottoman empire but not in the uhv way, heres my problems:

-few units,
    -strong byz might be a problem,
    - keshiks are now heavy cavarly, but in reality they act like a tanks!!! x3 times more lose vs. them without a scrach....
    - venezia and genoa very likly to be active in east balkan...
    - if arabs are strong, no f4ckin way to made the 2. uhv at all.
    - only 2 city can prod knights, 3-5 turns, izmir and an other that flips.

-suggestion: expand the flip zone by 2 line to south and 4 row by east. + lat barbs come later, ie. 1500ad+

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

oh and early starter civs stability is scrued! bularia is now unplayable, france too (if u want the uhv1) arabs are exceptions...

3. mluo2010

mluo2010 Chieftain

By late barbs you mean the Timurids? Moving them later would be ahistorical - after 1500 it's Safavid Persia that's on the eastern border. Historically it took the Ottomans quite a while to subdue all of Anatolia, in large part because Timur came in around 1400. If anything they should get a buff against the Byzantines to allow them to conquer a good bit of the Balkans before turning their attention to mop up in the East.

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

i tried to make another attemp with them (btw 35 min loading time for me) an Byz, venez and france (around jerusalem) was strong too + hungary as usual...i hadnt had a chance to make it in time...or at any time...

another problem is with conquered cities: they used to revolt for 4-8 turns, then worth nothing in terms of producing for another ~20 turns (minimum) so hard to get up on your feet! my suggestion is to change their UP to more usefull, like bulgarian, or do not destroy stability+happy buildings in conquered cities...

for example: both flipping cities were 11 and running well...then flipped, bith built hammam, then they leaved unhappy and unhealty at size 6!!!! its very hard this way imo.

5. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

i havent plays as the ottomans but from what ive seen, they definitely need some help. byzantines too often survive even after losing constantinople

6. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Gilgames: Stability is rewarded when you build stability buildings, not owning them. So, you dont really want to keep them when conquering... Or is conquering defined as building them?

But I agree with your other points. One of the Ottoman UHVs could be just defeating the Timurids and control their territory. Taking whole of Arabia is another matter.

Edit: A little evil but, move Sinope Sulphur and central Anatolia horses to Smyrna. That way the Ottomans get them from the start while crippling the Byzantines a bit.

7. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

Ive played a few more games and have a few more comments:

Vikings: this one is great. the timeline is quite demanding and I made both the conquest and the points within a few turns of the deadline. i love how all of the dates are around the same time period.

Bulgaria: also very good. along with burgandy and norse, my favorite set of uhvs. expand quicklys, expand deeply and then prepare for a serious challenge from the ottomans.

Arabs: its not a high priority to have a good arab game for the player in this mod. as an ai, they largely do what they are supposed to do. but the current game is underwhelming. the conquest goals are easy and can be done waaay before the deadline. then the missionary spam is tedious. or at least it was for me, when i couldnt get open borders from the byzantines(well i did once, after joining them in war against the bulgars. but midwaythrough that they declared on me, and then never opened borders until the ottomans showed up.) so i had to ferry them from north africa to burgandy and genoa for a long time. the crusades were also really annoying. just way too many of them. after playing the orthodix civs, id forgotten how much i disliked them. the catholics have it worse than the arabs though. voting and deciding wether you want to take over a crusade every five turns is the worst.

8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

at Ezz: no, you missed my point. i meant to be this the UP for them....
    on other hand, with bulgaria and france, you dont have time to build stability buildings due to priority or deadlines.

no need to move ress, but a little arrange in uhvs and their deadlinse would help....
    also i will upload some sreeny asap.

at Arch: good to see "new testers"

orthodox civs usually have uhvs with orthodoxy or its the obvious choise. most of catholic civs does not need high faih points, so simple refuse take part in crusades and thats all. in addition extra churches and monasteries are allways nice.

but yes, islam is the most tempting religion in terms of gameplay at leats :D

9. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Okey, here are the last month's harvest :D

View attachment 360806
    ok, here i play as Byz. but catholic france still loves me :D

View attachment 360807
    With Kiev, new city (kursk) declared indy...

View attachment 360808
    As Bulgaria, with four city, all connected by raod coherent culture-border body, but they vant to join the motherland :s

View attachment 360809
    as you can see...

View attachment 360810
    its a test game with WB addons, but there are no Byz cities around, "still they fight"

View attachment 360811
    I loled this, donno what hapend, but as far as i know berserk =/= ballista Elephant :DDD

View attachment 360812
    the same german game, just check the time and the place!!! where did it came from???? (the city was empty)

10. Chep

Chep Chieftain

why don't you explore more?^^

also: that France likes you is nothing special, before 1056 Orthodoxy and Catholiciscm count as the same religion -> you get the diplo bonus.
    I usually make them become my vasall by gifting them the city west of Alexandria (forgot the name) - and sometimes taking it back after a while.

However, due to the recent explanation that the first catholic civ to conquer Jerusalem gets a free golden age, I started thinking:
    Switching to Catholicism as Byzantium is pretty awesome.
    a) you get to found the knights orders (templars etc)
    b) you get a golden age from Jerusalem
    c) you can get the crusades -> free military units (it's great to fight the Seljuks with Paladins and Templars)
    d) you get defensive crusades whenever you want (just don't destroy Arabia), so even more units to use against the barbs
    e) better relations with most of Europe

and the price you pay? You have to spread catholicism (but Jerusalem can start building missionaries for you untill it flips), which might get you slightly into trouble with the culture goal for UHV1, and you get a bit less stability and pay more for your civics. But since you're usually rich and have more than enough stability, this should be worth it.
    I haven't tried it yet, but if you do, please tell me what you think.

11. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Until the Great Schism, the Orthodox and Catholic civs are friendly to eachother. Therefore the bonus. After the Schism, they start to dislike eachother. No bug, but a feature.

I think it was an barbarian city that spawned, but the name of it isn't defined in the XML. The indies just conquered it. I'll look into it.

That's because Byzantium is their motherland. Look at the culture bar. The vast majority is Byzantine and want to go back to their original owner. It's a vanilla feature.

This happens when you conquer a city. A part of the citizens want their old owner back. When the majority of the culture is yours, it will go away.

Eh... I don't see it. Or do you mean the 0% Byzantine culture?

Oh, I see. You mean the Asian Archer art. That is because you turned animations of. Then, the game will only use vanilla unit art and no custom art.
    Select one of the units, that one will have the correct art as long as that unit is selected.

I don't understand what you are saying. Berserkers on swamps?

I think the barbs came from the east, which is in your fog of war and therefore you didn't see it coming.
    I assume there was a Polish city the turn before. (Or was it your city?

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

:D Merjin!

I thought is because i am before the schism...

No, there is an indy city name: Kursk, i built a city on stone, name: Kursk, then my city were taken by idnies, an voala...

Yeah, that culture stuff might explain the question.....the 2. pic was about to show its connected to the motherland.....imo :D

so i conquered all cities around and they still have 2 tile culture border there...how?
    the other is just strange, a berserker on swamp...its not normal imo....

why does a barb pass by an indy and a polish city, to take mine? and barbs doesnt used to be there at that time anyway.....it was my city without a guard, and the barb came from polish territory.

But beside all these, barbs tend to kill me insted of hurting AI. 4 keshik spanw east of Ceasarea(byz) and all four came to me directly and raze Konya :( and pillaged my land too, but skipped Byz lands at all....and its not a uniqeu thing...

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

So your Kursk became independent and suddently changed it's name? I think that's because a civ can't control 2 cities with the same name.

This means the citymap is of. (or when the indy city spawns, it gets the wrong name)

I will fix it.

14. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

svn 1090 pink pinch promotion
    Spoiler :

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Fixed in next revision.
    Also moved the promotion to Flintlock instead of Gunpowder. (Seems more appropriate to me)

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

oh there is a new svn? :D

17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Indeed. It has been some time, so I can imagine you almost forgot about it.

18. Rorgloin

Rorgloin Chieftain

Any news on the new civs?

19. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

is it my bad, that cannot find the fixes/changes in the changelog file? :D

20. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

IIRC, they're somewhat done. But there is a nasty bug that Absinthe wants to solve before he wants to release them.

You mean you can't find the file, or is the file empty?
    If you use SVN, I suggest removing the file and update again. Then, you should have a proper version of that file again.