1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

no, i have the file and its checked too, but in it, the "latest" info is:

Changes for RFCE 1.2:
    (to-be-released: 2012.12.20.)

2. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

i played a german game and wow. that was great fun. between how fun the german and burgundian set of uhvs are, it really only emphasizes how lacking the french game is, with its hodgepodge of frank and french.

i know its been discussed before but splitting the franks and french really would take the mod to another level

3. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

true, i am in an emperor german game and its awesome....but where are everybody????no new posts weeks ago :(

4. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

in RFC: DOC
    I play sometimes in RFC:E++ for Rurik

5. Chep

Chep Chieftain

Me: Playing other stupid games I have beaten 20 times before like Wesnoth or Heroes3&4...
    I'm waiting for the new civs to try out the random events. Or a serious challenge with Kiev

6. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

ive been playing. i forget which games ive already talked about but i gave france another go. the thing that i like the least is that the best way to win is very unhistorical.

hang on to italy, dont bother taking western france. stay at ten cities and tech till you can build the spanish colonies.

definitely needs three goals. one which makes you control metropolitan france. that is, finish burgundy and take the british areas from them, etc.

one that is either culture or wonders in paris

and one that somehow requires them to build proper colonies.
    1. require them specifically.
    2. some sort of continent grouping
    3. require them to build so many colonies in a given time period. say, after 1650. whatever so that the spanish/portuugues will build the caribbean/conquests, and the only ones left to build are africa/north america

7. Chep

Chep Chieftain

@archcapitalist: it has been argued that the italian cities should flip to burgundy, but if the French civ is indeed changed into the Franks and the French, this will also be changed.
    (besides wouldn't it be good to take bordeaux + 1 city north of it? the area is nice, even if bordeaux hardly produces any hammers...I think it was said you can go up to 14 cities before the penalties really start kicking in)

@ mods:

is it possible that all mercs currently get the "Medic3"-promotion for some reason? I think this should be changed ;)

8. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

What city is ruins on Balkans from start?

9. Chep

Chep Chieftain

@Sanjose: I don't see a ruin there from the start...

what version are you running (SVN or the regular download) and what date do you mean by "start"? 500AD? Start of your civ? A screenshot would be helpful :)

--

what happpens when Spain & Germany win on the same turn?

In my game this could happen (if I didn't prevent Spain and everyone else from getting colonies) and their 3rd UHV fall on the same turn. So who would win?

10. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

The first nation to play its turn wins. So, the first nation to spawn, which is Germany.

11. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

yeah, im just spitballing what france should eventually be. the three goals kinda formed in my mind as i was playing through.

i didnt mean bordeaux. i do take that one. i mean the area or brittany/normandy that is really better left unsettled until the english take it.

i thought they started at 11 and got progressively worse. such that i would take afew more if they were good cities. the northwest cities didnt seem worth it.

12. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

Last SVN, 500AD, my guess - it's ruins of Ohrid after earthquake
    Picture:
    Spoiler :

13. Chep

Chep Chieftain

ah true, completely forgot about these. maybe one of the modders can tell you why it's there :)

@archcapitalist: yeah, Normandy and Bretagne should be better left unsettled at the moment. (I usually found one city south of the Bretagne on the river which eventually covers most of that region via its culture)

in my current German game I have 14 cities and I think that I often went as high as ~17 with Spain (Emperor), you certainly have some increase in tech cost but at the same time you usually get more resources, more research and more production due to the additional cities.
    I just love how around 1500-1550 my capitol produces >400 gold + >250 research per turn even after being reduced to size 12 by the plague :D

14. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Chieftain

yeah i definitely had that many in my spain game, and the effects werent too adverse. dont remember exactly but i had one in each of the required territories plus all of the cordovan cities. as germany i was powering through with a ton of cities. and still ripping through techs. the core cities are just so good.

15. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

i got further in my german game, its now 1520+ and i am finished all the uhvs. so now almost just end turns.... :/
    after protestantism was done, i could cach up in techs too. i am the most powerfull around, after france was beaten too (he came for me with 30 lvl2 knights, while i had 10-15 scattered around) and everybody dow-ed me regulary :( it was annoying....

give me tips what to do now?

heres the save game:

View attachment 362595

ps: merc's medic 3 is lol...

@chep, thank mon, wesnoth is great, love it, but didnt know it before...

16. Chep

Chep Chieftain

you were behind in tech? :D

(I was lucky to get the Vikings as my vasall after taking the city in Holstein, and their research speed was about two thirds of mine up untill ~1200 AD, so they researched all non-essential techs for me and I bought them from them :D)

after 1500, you usually get at least one big war with Spain (at least in my games they're often the number 2) which can be tough if they come at you with ~30 knights + 20 other units and their vasalls :D

anyway, my goal around that time is to get more colonies than anyone else. but you could also go for more conquest.
    (my stability was too low after razing a total of 6-7 cities in my game and owning Genoa, Venice and all of the UHV-territories)

or you just go for another try at the Kievan Challenge :D

17. Chep

Chep Chieftain

hey there,

I started this thread to collect all the Challenges we have, and I'd like some input from you (and also that you try to beat them, if you haven't already).
    Have you got any other ideas?

I'd like to (at least for the moment) keep it based on the UHVs/the civs historical situation so no "fastest domination/conquest"-challenges, at least for now.
    What do you think of a "try to convert as much of Europe to Islam before winning via UHV as Arabia"?
    (I'm curious as to how much is possible: 40%? 45%? 50%?)

Any further ideas? Or comments?

18. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

well this spain should be war was with france....and i pwnd them :D
    i never knew how to business with vassals, they never want to trade techs with me in 1 by 1 cost. plus on emperor its usually 1 by 2. so i dont trade.
    i wont try colonize, its boring, i hate ships :D

19. Chep

Chep Chieftain

of course you have to trade 2:1, but still you research faster than your vasall, you usually have a headstart in techs and you get the important techs before them (to build the wonders or whatever)

20. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

well i lost many wonders.... got only cluny and kazimier....and i wont trade at 2:1 :D