1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. The Turk

The Turk Deity

How come every time I conquer a city, with positive stability as Cordoba, it flips to independent in a couple turns? Not only is this extremely annoying as I have to conquer each city twice, but it also takes my WHOLE army with it. I understand if you want to represent independent governors rebelling and becoming independent, but they shouldn't be taking your entire army with them.

Nor does this make sense if you have positive stability.

I understand the historical reasons for this, but it's simply bad game-play, and the history can be depicted in other ways.

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I just want to express how much I enjoy this mod of RFC - best experience I ever had! :)

I have so far won UHV of Hungary, Poland, Genoa, Cordoba, France (all Viceroy level, to learn things)
    I love the history feel...

3. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

I totally agree. This completely discourages players from fortifying anything besides the core area or even the capital. What should be done is the city taking either half of your army or four units, whichever is less. Alternatively, the more fortified a city is, the least likely it could be to become independent.

gilgames likes this.
  4. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

I had a general stability question. I played as Arabia, which is mostly unplayable for the current svn.

I played a safe run and conquered North Africa to Tunis. Everything went well. I didn’t conquer Edessa and Antioch. I build culture in Alexandria and Cyrene to avoid that penalty. I settled Cairo and two other cities in North Africa.

Starting around turn 85 my stability started dropping into the negative. On the interior advisor it listed cities as the problem but I’m not sure why. I hovered at -5 or -6 and then on turn 95 four cities declared independence pushing me to -36 stability.

how is the cities portion of stability calculated?

5. PiR

PiR Prince

6. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

PiR likes this.
  7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I played a couple test games recently, and Arabia till ~1000 wasn't that bad in my playthrough. I only had one Arabia game though, and only the first half of it.
    What was the cause of the negative city stability in your case?

8. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

My game could’ve been a fluke then. The only major negative modifier in the stability tab/screen was attributed to “cities”. I reloaded the game just before I experienced four cities declare independence, and it gradually went up to zero as I replayed the game. I think the very low probability of a city declaring independence caused a very unlikely chain reaction of three more cities declaring independence.

9. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

Is it normal that certain technologies are insanely expensive? For example, you could be within the game's top three scores and certain tech especially in the mid to late game take forever to research. And I mean like 30 - 50 turns, costing 10K to 30K beaks. I use Great People and they make barely any difference, even if I try WB'ing research building it still takes too long.

Is this normal? How do I make techs cost less?

stillblackadder likes this.
  10. PiR

PiR Prince

Can you see a percentage next to the research bar?

upload_2021-1-19_17-57-43.png

11. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

Yes. What does it mean? How do I change it?

12. PiR

PiR Prince

I don't know all the factors linked to it, and I'm not sure if it's documented, I could not find it in RFCE Civilopedia.

But there are multiple factors impacting your research in the way you say. The first is for RFC in general, and also in RFCE, it's the size of your empire, the more you have cities the more the tech will cost. This is indicated in the Civilopedia and is actually a major balance effect of RFC. So when building huge empire you have to massively increase your research in order to continue discovering techs at the same speed as your opponents, otherwise you'll get behind. You can save and liberate/give to AI some of your cities and you will see the base costs of tech decrease (not the number of :science: necessary for that tech, in the tech tree for example).

What I have experienced in RFC is also that if you are too ahead of history, then the tech might cost a lot. For example discovering Islam as Ethiopia long before the Arabs appeared was extremely hard, but a couple of turns before they arrived, the tech suddenly cost a lot less before it's historically accurate to discover it now. Probably the same mechanic is in RFCE, which I have played less so I am not sure.

Another factor would be that % you can see in the top bar, which I never found documentation for, but I believe from experience the -x% means you will research this faster than normal and the +x% means it will cost you more than normal. You can start a new game with a civ and you will see that. I guess if you are the first civ to research a certain tech you have a huge malus, but if many others (your neighbors? your partners in trade?) have discovered it, you will be fast to discover it. Also some tech are given to certain civs to help them build their historical wonders and have a high cost to others (ex Alhambra for Cordoba).

I hope it helps, before someone can confirm official mechanics. :)