1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe: Small bugs/fixes

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by sedna17, Nov 20, 2008.

1. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

As the Franks, my game keeps crashing at year 1169. I'm currently moving my army into Milan after taking over Cordoba and vassalizing Spain.

Also... Germany didn't collapse this game and is second in score from my perspective!

2. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

There is a problem with the reformation event. When I founded Protestantism (as France) and switched to the new religion, only some of my cities switched buildings from Catholic to Protestant.

Is this what is supposed to happen? Because the text in the on-screen pop-up window gave the impression that all my cities that converted to Protestantism would switch their buildings over too.

3. fdgsgds

It is correct what happened. Some cities will convert entirely to Protestantism and some stay entirely Catholic, some will have both religions even if you did not choose to embrace the Reformation.

4. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It could be this.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8987534&postcount=3225

5. fdgsgds

6. fdgsgds

As France, in Alpha 12, the second UHV says to have 15,000 culture points in Paris by 1680. First off, it doesn't count it at anytime before 1680; secondly, I lost it even though I had 22,000 culture in Paris (which I did found one to the right in the beginning); and thirdly, it's too easy... but that isn't really my problem right now.

7. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Warlord

Really? I won the French UHV without any problem using Alpha 12...

8. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Unfortunately, the game doesn't check if the city is named Paris, but if the city is built on the correct tile. Just like in RFC, where you fail the UHV if you don't found Babylon or Paris. That's just the way it is, I'm afraid. Personally, I'd like to change it to "capital city", because that gives some variation. I rarely build my capitol where I spawn now, for example I leave Denmark entirely empty as the Norse: Rostock and Lund I believe (south western tip of Sweden) are much much better and are next to a river.

9. fdgsgds

That's too bad because I wanted to make Paris have four more extra research right from the start from the nearby village. I was doing it was all for nothing since I wanted the UHV :(:(

By the way, Spain took over Florence and Naples! Yay for a working AI!

10. birdboy2000

birdboy2000 Chieftain

This probably isn't a very high priority, all things considered. You aren't *supposed* to convert to Judaism.

That said, I tried a game as the Arabs and converted to Judaism, only to find the interesting side effect of a mobile capital. Apparently, the civilization's unique power puts a palace in every city conquered if one's playing as Jewish Arabs.

11. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

:lol::lol::lol:

That's very cool, all those palaces! But you're right, we must make in impossible to convert to Judism as a player. (AFAIK it's already impossible for the AI)

12. patkog

patkog Chieftain

Hey guys,

I wanted to play a game with The Nederlands but it crashes every time while loading (Turn: 330), tried it several times but I always get back to the desktop.

I uploaded the last two autosaves for you

Attached Files:

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Are you playing beta 1 or alpha 12? If not, (because you play an earlier version) it could be this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...postcount=3225

If you aren't playing alpha 12 I recommend download it and play that version.

14. patkog

patkog Chieftain

I'm playing Beta1
    Your link doesn't work^^

15. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Hi everyone.

I guess this is as good place to post this as any. Unfortunately for the past month or so real life came down on me and as everyone has noticed, I wasn't around. It sucks to have a real job, I want to be a student again :( (well, sort of).

Great job on getting to beta. This is like a dream come true, to bad I couldn't participate more.

Soon I will have to be traveling again and it will be even harder for me to contribute anything. So basically, this weekend is a last chance to assign something small to me, some AI C++ fix or something of the sort. Afterwards I will not be able to contribute until late June (and then it will not be much).

16. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

Hey 3Miro! Welcome back. I'm glad you found our new sub-forum.

One thing that I can think of right away is that people are still complaining about the AI not being aggressive enough in wars. I don't know if that is something that is better to fix by increasing the size of the non-zero regions of the AI war maps (in which case we can do it) or tweaking some formula in the C++.

One other odd behavior I noticed relates to colonies. It seems like the AI puts a very low (zero?) value on things like South American Access. I have played several games where you can just ask for it from some AI which has built colonies already and as long as they will trade at all they will give it to you for nothing.

17. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

I'll try and take a look at these saves for you.

18. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

When you say the AI is not aggressive enough, do you mean it doesn't build large enough armies or it doesn't declare wars often enough. Wars can be adjusted with War Maps and AI war behavior (both are in Python). Larger armies is however trickier.

You can try to add some values to the aggressive tags in XML for the leaderhead personalities. This is the thing that will most likely help. It should work if you make more of the leaders behave like Genghis Khan from regular BtS. I believe the way I had them last (and I don't know if you or someone else has made adjustments afterwards) personalities were tailored towards specific UHV, like growth, culture and religion. It is possible that this takes away from militarism.

I will check the access value. Since usually resources are not required for Projects, the AI is probably unaware of the connection.

19. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Warlord

I think it's the aggressiveness that's the main issue. It's pretty easy to sit back and never have other countries declare war on you, or if they do, to never actually invade with armies.

20. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

The AI certainly does favor a large army, perhaps even too much. I see more than 20 offensive units sitting in a city on regular base. The problem is that the AI won't actually use them for offensive duties. Independent cities get conquered sooner or later, but the AI never uses it's army to conquer his neighbours. For example, last week I played a RFC game, France conquered Spain and Russia defeated Germany. Such things never happen in RFCE, the AI has no incentive to go on a large campaign.

It might indeed have a base in the war maps. While these are historical, and the AI follows them nicely, there is a point where nothing will happen. If I was the king of France and I see that Germany or Spain is exhausted from a long war / plague epidemic / you name it, what would I do? IRL, it didn't happen, but I'm sure it would happen if they had the opportunity. Therefore, I'd consider expanding the war (settler) maps, so that any civ has at least a large part of the area that his neighbour normally settles. I don't know what value these territories should be given, but that's something to worry about later.:)