RFC "Training" SG?

Not being the military genius that saved us from Europe, I lost a lot of cannons and 2-3 infantry. But the job is done.

0. 1742 I open borders with Khmer. America is befriended with a map. Extorted 140 gold from Ethiopia. Sold map to Russia for 90g.

1. 1745 Sent our Klagenfurt stack towards Berlin (if anything we have to capture their capital to make them capitulate). Killed 2 cavalry but lost 2 riflemen in doing so (somehow all our rifles are promoted to city defend!). Bombarded Rome.

2. 1748 Bombarded Berlin. (If we had a ready spy I would have used our massive espionage to just make a city revolt--so I started one in Dirac) Also, i switched all espionage to France (Germany will be too far behind to steal techs from, and France/Netherlands/England will usually research steel which we will steal). We can use the remaining espionage to steal gold from Germany.
Killed German frigate who dared to destroy our Arabian fishing boat.
Persia gets a Great Depression--it's OK, we're still stable.

3. 1751 Killed German galleon who followed the frigate around Mekke. Phanagoria is set to build Opera House (it's our 2nd largest city, and suffering a little under Moscow's culture). Extort (i.e. ask nicely) 100g from Mali and 60g from Mongolia.

4. 1754 Assembly line is done, set to Fascism. Upgraded all our frontline troops to infantry, especially the stack in Pompeii. Cut research back to 80%.

5. 1757 Ethiopia collapses (which gives us a chance to conquer some indy cities for Arabia, who just lost Al Dammam due to instability). Vikings want Communism, no way.
Spain gets a Great Depression, we're still stable.
Persia now stable, captures Patna.
Got 50g from Inca.

6. 1760 Mali wants war with Vikings, no. Killed 1/2 the stack in Rome and lost 5 cannon doing so.

7. 1763 Fascism is done, I build a military academy in Istanbul (which I switched to Kremlin--since we're in US, why not do some cheap buying as long as we don't need nationhood/police state?). Another great general is born and I send him to Hattusas (in anticipation of the need to vassalize Persia who's becoming big and menacing, 3rd in score)

Berlin is captured with the loss of 2 cannon and our borders expand instantly due to Klagenfurt's culture. Germany won't capitulate.

8. 1766 Rome captured with the loss of 1 infantry...

9. 1769 ...and Germany capitulates. (Witness the power of the Statue of Zeus!) Opera House in Phanagoria is done. I'm tempted to give Berlin back to Germany but I'll wait until the city revolt is done, to minimize the risk of Germany collapsing.

10. 1772 Sure enough, our power awes Khmer who wants us to be their master! :king: I demand all their resources since they're stable.
America asks for Democracy, I said why not, let them suffer the lack of stability from knowing democracy and not being in emancipation. Inca becomes a Russian vassal.
Gaziantep founded on the border of Germany and Russia--needs fortification.
I send some troops towards Ethiopia to capture some cities for our suffering Arabian brothers.

Future directions:
1. Fortify Klagenfurt and Gaziantep (France is furious, Russia is cautious) I believe we should be able to give Berlin back without which Germany will probably collapse soon.

2. Capture all of Africa for Arabia

3. 5 turns to industrialism, and we need oil to dominate, so we may want to research steel/railroad/combustion ourselves. But first I would do biology and medicine because the coal's going to make us unhealthy after factories/coal plants are built. Gaziantep would be a good place for building forest preserves after it expands more.

4. Both Portugal and Arabia are unstable, we may have to build the happiness wonders to give them some happy faces. Hattusas is about 3-4 turns from the Pentagon (then Eiffel Tower), Istanbul 1 turn from Kremlin. I would build Wembley next since France's about to learn it.

Maax, didn't you realise that we already had a settler in Hattusas when you started to build a new settler in Kilia (presumably to found the new city Gaziantep)?

The reason I suggested that spot to found a new city was mostly because we still had one of our original settlers (from the 1280AD spawn date) kicking around. I didn't mean that we should build another settler though! ;)

Did we? :eek:

Yeah, I found out he was building a settler, but I moved the one we have from Hattusas up there and switched the queue in Kilia to something else, but didn't switch it away again since it was half way through building a settler. Maybe we can send it to South America or South Africa.:lol:

There's this nice spot in south africa. Jungleandmarshtinianopolis, founded by Suleiman around this time.

Got it.

Actually, if you want some domination preparation, send the settler towards NW Australia and liberate that city to Khmer. I usually found right on the iron to stop them pestering me for iron.

Yes, I am. I've had to reformat my computer and failed at downloading RFC (and FFH) some times because of bad luck. No need to skip me, it'll be done today.

It's very unlikely I'll be able to play tmomorow, and due to things I can't today.. I'll have to grab a skip. That makes blizzrd up.

I will go today to our summer cottage and will be there 5 days. So during this time my turn must be skipped :(

Sounds like it's you and me, blizz. I had some ideas about another succession game but the rate of attrition is discouraging me from doing so.:(

Well I'm really enjoying this one, so I'd certainly be interested to hear your ideas. I'll be starting the turns in just a few minutes.

Like you were saying, I'm not showing enough pacifist (or pacifistic) behavior. So I propose starting as Dutch, winning by time, culture, space race or domination, and founding a city on each continent and island (some of the islands may overlap in the Pacific which is OK--we just need to encompass them in our area). We don't need to keep all the cities (we can give them to vassals.) All our existing cities are required to have a dyke if possible by the time we win.

And no declaration of war, no theocracy, no police state, no occupation. Nationhood is OK only if we're at war. We can have communism too in peace.

[As of right now nobody has paid any attention to the Pacific, and I can imagine some really big financial cities over there (like in real life), and with the dykes they can actually be quite productive. I thought about using the Americans, but it's kinda hard to get them productive without dykes.]

Turn 0: 1772AD
Things are looking pretty good all around, it must be said. We are Solid (+23), largely on the back of our booming economy. We have 4 vassals (Khmer, Germany, Arabia, Portugal) but two of those do not currently have a lenghty life-expectancy. Germany is Collapsing and Arabia is Unstable. Portugal is Shaky (and has been for several hundred years), while Khmer is Stable. We can afford to lose one vassal, but not two.

Ethiopia has recently collapsed and the independent cities are defended by matchsticks, compared to our infantry. Unfortunately, we only appear to have one infantry unit anywhere near Africa, but I guess I'll have to do something about changing that.

For the lurkers, some screenshots are attached.

EDIT: Some trading also. Stone to China for 9GPT. Pig to Spain for 12GPT. I extort 180G and 10 turns of peace from France. That will buy us some time to shore up the German frontier. Clam to England for 8GPT. Ask nicely and Persia gives 7GPT. Buy their world map for 60G and sell to whole bunch of civs for net profit of ~150G. Trade Iron to Khmer for 3GPT. Demand Spices from Khmer. Get their world map and 30G by asking nicely. Cancel some small deals (2x 2GPT) to Mongolia and open up a single deal for 5GPT to them instead. Clam to Inca for Crab. Upgrade a 3GPT deal to Inca for a 4GPT deal instead. Upgrade a 2GPT deal to Mali for a 3GPT deal instead.

Upshot: our economy is again back in the black (it was -4GPT on 80% science) at +38GPT.

Turn 1
Spain cancels our only deal for Cow. Try (but fail) to resist the urge to make a reference to Isabella's possible bovine resemblance. :mischief: Germany has a Cow, so I demand that.

We currently have all of our spy points against France. But Netherlands (and England) are the only civs that know a tech that we don't currently have - Steel. So I switch all of our espionage over to Netherlands, who is also just 5 turns from learning Artillery, which I don't plan on spending any of our research points on if we don't have to. Transfer spy from Krakow towards Amsterdam.

3 Independent Horse Archers and a Trebuchet invade our territory near Luksor. Airships ensure that they are all wounded somewhat. They are still 3 turns away from even being adjacent to our city though. Summer Palace completed in Luksor.

Turn 2
Kremlin built in Istanbul. Hattusas can no longer build the Kremlin (???) for +270G. Hattusas is about to build the Pentagon next turn though. What on earth have you folks been doing with building the same wonder twice at the same time (or at least part thereof)?

Capture Independent city of Sennar (directly south of Luksor). Trade Horse to Vikings for Fur.

A little bit of micromanagement: temporarily swap food production tiles between Kilia (about to starve) and Istanbul.

Turn 3
Liberate Berlin to Germany. Germany bounces back from Collapsing to Solid.
Pentagon finished in Hattusas. Hattusas was also building Eiffel Tower, amazing number of part-built wonders in the one city... but I want a Factory here before we finish the Eiffel Tower.

Turn 4
Mt Rushmore completes in Phanagoria. Persia wants to give Al-Kuwait back. I accept before liberating to Arabia. Portugal now is also Unstable, Arabia is still Unstable. We are now Very Solid (+41). Trade Fish to America for 2GPT. They volunteer their map and 40G when I ask nicely of them.

Crash to desktop. :mad:

blizzrd- I will be able to play after you. I'd love to play another RFC SG, and the Dutch idea seems nice. Finding 3 good culture cities would especially be a challenge assuming no war.

Turn 5: 1787
Learn Industrialism, next Biology. Capture Aksum. Great Spy in Istanbul. Get +10 food in all cities event. Portugal is back up to Shaky now. Aksum can't be liberated to Arabia at this stage.

Turn 6: 1790
Uneventful.

Turn 7: 1793
Begin attacking Dardura (Somalia).

Turn 8: 1796
Capture Dardura and immediately gift to Arabia. Islam spreads in Dardura. Arabia now Solid (from Unstable!).

Turn 9: 1799
Biology learnt. Choose Medicine next. Capture Gonokoro. Infiltrate Amsterdam with Great Spy. Not too many spy points to go before we can steal a tech from Netherlands. They are soon to learn Railroad.

Turn 10: 1802
Capture Moyale. Still can't gift any of our current dodgy African cities to Arabia at the moment. I would have thought that Arabia would want Moyale for sure.

Future goals
I've been building plenty of infrastructure (factories and coal plants) in our cities. But we will need some more military units along the Persian border soon.

The former Ethiopian cities are just a drain on our economy currently. If Arabia doesn't want them soon, should we turn them back to being independent?

We could send a spy all the way down to Netherlands colony city in South Africa (Winburg) to steal techs from there. It is much cheaper than Amsterdam.

Blizzrd you're just the master at micromanaging our economy. I'm no money manager (both in civ and real life).:lol:

Go ahead and play the next 10 turns Quotey.

blizzrd- I will be able to play after you. I'd love to play another RFC SG, and the Dutch idea seems nice. Finding 3 good culture cities would especially be a challenge assuming no war.

Amsterdam, a south African city (founded on the gold) and our triad of Dutch New Orleans, Denver and Chicago will be plenty for good cultural cities. Mind you, I said we can't declare war, but we can defend ourselves if declared upon, and it should be OK to take vassals who ask for our assistance in fighting tyrants. (Look up pacificism and pacifism)

Like you were saying, I'm not showing enough pacifist (or pacifistic) behavior. So I propose starting as Dutch, winning by time, culture, space race or domination, and founding a city on each continent and island (some of the islands may overlap in the Pacific which is OK--we just need to encompass them in our area). We don't need to keep all the cities (we can give them to vassals.) All our existing cities are required to have a dyke if possible by the time we win.

And no declaration of war, no theocracy, no police state, no occupation. Nationhood is OK only if we're at war. We can have communism too in peace.

[As of right now nobody has paid any attention to the Pacific, and I can imagine some really big financial cities over there (like in real life), and with the dykes they can actually be quite productive. I thought about using the Americans, but it's kinda hard to get them productive without dykes.]

Sounds neat. I have occasionally been given the quest to settle on X different landmasses by the end of a certain era, can anyone remember what the quest was called? It would be fun to actually try to achieve a similar goal of colonising every available landmass, however small.

Top Bottom