RFCE++ Beta

Unrelated to my earlier posts, I think that I just had World War I start in 1458. Due to my status as HREmperor as Germany, my five vassals, and my defensive pact with Aragon, upon Serbia (who was the master of Bulgaria) capitulating to the Ottomans I got 24 declarations of war on top of the many wars that were already going on between the Ottomans and myself and vassals. It is now Germany, Denmark, Prussia, Bohemia, Venice, England, Aragon, Burgundy, Genoa, and Austria against the Ottomans, Bulgaria, and Serbia. Even expanding the recent events log to full screen, I needed two screenshots to capture all the declarations. And it took like five minutes for it to go through the sound for all of those declarations.

Edit: I tried editing the HRE to make it the British Isles, Netherlands, and Scandinavia, but the game crashes upon me trying to start playing the actual scenario. Specifically, right after I get to choose my name, name of my civ, etc. and click "next" or "play" or whatever it says. It just crashes immediately, doesn't even start loading. The only line of text I modified looks like this:
lInitialHREProvs = [xml.iP_Wessex, xml.iP_Wales, xml.iP_Mercia, xml.iP_London, xml.iP_Northumbria, xml.iP_Scotland, xml.iP_TheIsles, xml.iP_Ireland, xml.iP_Denmark, xml.iP_Skaneland, xml.iP_Gotaland, xml.iP_Gotland, xml.iP_Svealand, xml.iP_Norrland, xml.iP_Jamtland, xml.iP_Vestfold, xml.iP_Bergenhus, xml.iP_Normandy, xml.iP_Picardy, xml.iP_Flanders, xml.iP_Netherlands]
Does anyone know what I did wrong? All I did was change the names of the provinces, and it's the same number of provinces as before.

I imagine it's something like the Great Turkish War.

One thing that stands out is that iP_Bergenhus is undefined - it's called "Bergenhus" in game, but in the Python code it's called iP_Norway. Look in XMLConsts.py to find the names of the province ID's. Since iP_Bergenhus is undefined, it's sending an unexpected number (perhaps -1?) to the c++ code, crashing the game. Turning on Python exceptions (in the .ini file in "My Games/Beyond the Sword") is extremely helpful for finding Python errors.

Well, the entire thing was caused by alliances, really, so that's why I compared it to WWI. Serbia and Bulgaria went to war with the Ottomans, Bulgarians asked me to join, I did, my vassals joined in, then Serbia capitulated forcing them and Bulgaria to declare war on me and my vassals causing the rest of the HRE and Aragon to go to war with them all.

That's probably it. I'm not on the correct computer right now, but I'll check that and let you know if it works. Thanks!

Edit: Yeah, that fixed it.

Historically did any unions happen that way? If they didn't (which is true as far as I remember right now), then it seems reasonable to me to just make governments that aren't purely run by a monarchy immune to unions.

If a union date is coming up for your civ and you know are likely going to be the lesser partner, you could just switch to merchant republic and void the union. I don't like that idea. They're not all necessarily inheritances, are they? I think Republics should still be able to form unions. Maybe they should just be excluded from the ability to become the greater partner.

Also, a question: If a union is a partial one, is it a one time event where benefits are administered and that's that? Or does it result in a special diplomatic status? Like a temporary unbreakable alliance? Vassals are shown in the diplomatic advisor screen and when in diplomacy with the actual vassal, it tells you that the civ is a vassal of another civ. Will partial Personal Unions be shown this way?

Another possible union is the Habsburg Inheritance of 1519. Spain + Austria, really the dominant partnership is up for grabs in that situation. I can't really say whether that situation should result in a complete or partial union, though. Also, an annexation would fudge the potential unions for Austria with Bohemia and Hungary in the case that Spain won the annexation. Unless union chances for annexed civs can be transferred to the winners of previous unions. Imagine the possibility to recreate the entire Habsburg empire of the 1500s through diplomacy. That's exciting. :D

Also, in the event of a union between colonial powers, (Iberian Union), does the annexing partner receive the colonies as well? You know, since they are projects it isn't entirely clear.

Also, what happens if the human is playing a civ that becomes the lesser partner in a complete union? Is it game over? Does he have an option to switch to the annexing power? Maybe he could have a choice to either switch to the annexing power, end the game, or lose all but one of his cities and get a small army to attempt to fight back the occupiers and retake the nation under a new dynasty? That probably shouldn't happen when an AI is annexed. When cases such as the Spanish Succession result in war, could other cases of unpopular unions result in spawning of barbs in the territory of the annexed? To simulate revolts or the rise of a pretender to the throne?

Also, now that Aragon is featured :)beer: :thanx:) Spain shouldn't be called Spain until the union with aragon. The civ should be entirely renamed The Castilians. DCNs would be Kingdom of Castille and Leon, then Kingdom of Spain after the union.

Hey, Morholt, I love your mod, all the new civs give it a fresh feel... But I would like to make a few small changes to suit my playing style and if you could help me that would be awesome..

First, I would like to be able to switch to ANY civ from any civ. Second, I would like to be able to switch civs as many times as I like (I'm a big fan of playing 3 or more civs across a single game.. What i have in mind right now would be something like Lombardy-venice-ottomans) normally I know how to do this one but I tried the same thing in your code and now I cant switch at all.. Lastly, I would like to change the starting stability for each difficulty (I like to play on emporer but not have to struggle to remain stable)

As Lombardy, I vassalized Burgandy, then Burg got elected as HRE emperor, then I denied one resolution (raise army) and became at war with them, and they were still my vassal. And I couldn't talk to them anymore. Bug.

Speaking of HRE Emperor-vassals declaring war on you, Netherlands was my vassal, got elected HRE emperor, I went to war with an HRE nation and they declared war on me and stopped being my vassal... Also, do your vassals make the same choice as you when you vote in HRE? Because they should...

I really like this mod. However, I have a few questions.

Would it be possible for new civilizations (that spawn) to not flip cities or units from my civilization? I usually World Builder everything back and simply make copies of the units they flipped from me, but it happens every single turn and it's very annoying for me.

I understand this won't be added to the real mod, but could you please tell me how I can achieve this by myself? So, new civilizations don't flip my cities and my units don't join them (but they do flip AI cities and such). Instead, maybe they could simply get a stack of whatever units they would normally get times two? That's a large enough force to capture a few of my cities I guess. I just don't like my units or cities leaving me while I can't do anything about it (World Builder also doesn't work, it happens again and again). Would this be possible, and if so, how?

Also, I'd like to remove expansion stability. I think its quite stupid; why shouldn't I, as Cordoba, settle Morroco and Spain, and establish a Mediterannean empire? Simply because Cordoba didn't do that in real life? But that's the whole point of this, isn't it? To toy with history. I understand the reason behind it, sure, but I'd like to remove it for the human player (I think it makes the AI play more historically, so I'd prefer to keep it for them).

I'd very much like it if someone could tell me how to do all of this (although I fear it's quite complex). Anyway, thanks in advance, and I love this mod!

I really like this mod. However, I have a few questions.

Would it be possible for new civilizations (that spawn) to not flip cities or units from my civilization? I usually World Builder everything back and simply make copies of the units they flipped from me, but it happens every single turn and it's very annoying for me.

I think you are missing the entire point of Rhye's and Fall. How do you think people win by conquest and domination with the existing rules? Rules that are more realistic, and therefore more fun than vanila BTS rules? You just need to learn more about spawn dates, different civs' core provinces, ways to improve your stability when you create Mediterranean empire, etc. Everything you want to achieve can be done without WorldBuilder :) ! Just ask how in strategy thread -- learning new cool ways is also part of the fun.

I know, I know. But is it really possible to control Spain, southern Italy, Morrocco, the coastline of Africa, and all the islands in the Mediterranean and west of Europe (as Cordoba)?

Because my expansion is -100 or something, and I'm going to collapse in a turn or two even though I World Buildered a 60 turn long Golden Age about 40 turns ago (originally, I'd collapse back then, I avoided that with the Golden Age, but now I'm set to collapse again).

Still, I'd really like it if someone could tell me how to do the stuff I said. I just want to create an empire, stability and spawning civilizations are great mechanics, don't get me wrong, but I think expansion stability and spawning civilizations automatically getting cities and your own units is annoying. Can't they just get a huge stack of units and capture my cities? Then I at least would have a chance to really prepare for them or something. :p

I wouldn't consider all of these things realistic. Why would my purely Orthodox Bulgarian Empire's army abandon me to join the Muslim Ottomans? Same with my cities. It's one thing when Pisa wants to switch to the Genoans. It's another when something completely illogical happens.

Also, what are other people's experience with wars within the HRE? In my current game as Burgundy, me being HRE and having the largest military in Europe does not seem to deter constant internal conflicts. In other games, wars within the HRE were pretty rare, but this time it seems the AI does not understand that I will be drawn into the war against them.

But my request is specific for this mod, in the sense that I can't have a thingy for RFC that does what I want to do, and have it also work for RFC:E++... I think?

So you're saying that if I can change those of RFC to do as I stated above, I can do exactly the same with those of RFC:E++?

Then the only question is, what exactly should I do? :p

the point is that flipping mechanics are roughly (if not completely) similar from RFC, to RFCE to RFCE++, hence calling it out in RFCE++ which for all likelyness haven't touched it at all, is odd and unlogical ... i could see the reasoning behind putting it to question in RFCE beta thread, since thats the primary 'subject to code' which ++ updates with/from ...

Ok, I'll ask my question there then. Thanks for the help!

Why would you not want your cities and units to flip. The mod (mod) is supposed to be realistic, and new civs didn't just start as weaklings. Just think of it as an extra challenge =)

Top Bottom