Rhye's and Fall Civ 5 + VP?

just reading the last few comments made me realize how hard it will be to go back to vanilla bnw.

just reading the last few comments made me realize how hard it will be to go back to vanilla bnw.

Let's put it this way:
many mods have made a variety of new things.
VP has made a whole plate including steak and salad.
But I'm making a pizza. So even if I like steak, I won't put it on a pizza. Nor pinapple, for that matter :p
If some toppings are very good and don't break the taste of pizza, I will try to add them.

Last edited:

I completely understand your concerns about vanilla AI being poor. But RFC is very different from normal civ because the conditions in which each game is played are (more or less) exactly the same. So AI problems can be tweaked far more easily than would be possible for a normal vanilla game. A lot of things in RFC are hardcoded, for example:

1. Time-specific barbarian spawns, such as for Rome in the 5th century AD or Seljuks horses in the middle east in the 11th century AD, etc. So if we find by playtesting that players are easily beating the Barbarian invasions as Rome, we could just add more Barbarian units/increase their strength. Having a smarter tactical AI would be ideal, but in its absence, this approach works as well.
2. AI tech preferences are, while not entirely predetermined, heavily skewed towards certain sides of the tech tree, and beeline specific wonders. Spain and England tech faster towards compass and associated techs and China beelines the Great Wall, for instance. This circumvents the AI making stupid tech/policy choices.
3. Different AI's also get a variety of specific tech and production bonuses, such as England and the Netherlands to simulate their rise as technologically advanced civs despite having relatively small empires (before they established their colonies).

As regards balance, I don't think there is any good reason Rhye can't pick particular changes from VP that he likes and implement them in Catapult. In particular, I think a good fit might be how the Exploration tree has been renamed to Imperialism, with appropriate changes (rather than just buffing coastal cities, Imperialism boosts tile yields, GG/GA yields and puppet city yields). Fits in very well thematically with a colonial power like Spain or England.

In particular, I think a good fit might be how the Exploration tree has been renamed to Imperialism, with appropriate changes (rather than just buffing coastal cities, Imperialism boosts tile yields, GG/GA yields and puppet city yields). Fits in very well thematically with a colonial power like Spain or England.
exactly, the policies i think will fit very well with catapult. Also, would there be any huge game mechanic changes except the history sim part? Do you think warmongering AI penalties will be changed in your mod?

For sure...

I'd love to play this mod... But to see the vanilla AI shuffling around it's units - achieving nothing - well I really don't think I could handle it... since the AI was the reason I never got into Civ 5 in the first place and why I only played a game or two of Civ 6. To me the AI is more important than any game mechanics and it's a huge concern of mine that I'm stuck with Vox populi, since no other Civilization game & and it's mods seem to present such a wonderful challange and perhaps never will.

Let's put it this way:
But I'm making a pizza. So even if I like steak, I won't put it on a pizza. Nor pinapple, for that matter :p
If some toppings are very good and don't break the taste of pizza, I will try to add them.
Ah right I should probably mention the CP's event system. It's part of the modding API aspect I suppose and I assume it would be useful to you from Civ4.

exactly, the policies i think will fit very well with catapult. Also, would there be any huge game mechanic changes except the history sim part? Do you think warmongering AI penalties will be changed in your mod?

I don't work on the mod. I just played an insane amount of civ4 RFC back in the day :D.
As for mechanics, stability and dynamic resources (as in, corn in the old world and horses in the new world appear only in the 16th century) are the main ones that come to mind. You can check the entire list here: http://rhye.civfanatics.net/pages/civ4-RFC-description.php.

Do you install CP as a mod and then Rhye's as a mod and the latter will pick the CP DLL not the vanilla DLL?
Yes. Or more precisely, Rhye's mod won't pick anything, Civ5 will.

Edit: I haven't tested it in this very case, so cannot say 100%, but this is how mods usually work in Civ5

Let's put it this way:

Dunno man, one of my favorite pizza spreads is blue cheese, steak, and green onion. :D

G

hey Gazebo, wrong thread but just a simple question. Is there an easy way to remove(or severely tone down) warmongering ai penalties. Like maybe some XML change or somethin, not familiar with modding.

Top Bottom