1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's and Fall RAND: Preview #2

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall RAND' started by Rhye, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I believe that if Tyre, Byblos and Sidon have to be assigned, they should be in Carthage, category 4

2. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

I went ahead and commented it out of the Greek list.

3. Hardner

Hardner Blitzkrieger

Additions:
    C1:
    Köln
    Kassel
    Klausenburg
    Mainz

C2:
    Trieste

C3:
    Kleindeutschland
    Colonia Dignidad
    Kongo

C4:
    Neu Schwabenland
    Neu Braunfels

4. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Hey Rhye and co.

Just wanted to stop in and say that this looks incredibly awesome. Can't wait to try it out. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with stuff before, but I haven't been able to access the civfanatics website for a few months until about the past week.

Cheers :D

5. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

Out of interest, whereabouts was/is Kongo?

6. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Kongo is in west central Africa, but was ruled by the Portuguese not the Germans. Briefly the Dutch invaded in the 17th (I think) century.

Not sure what the German connection is.

7. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Alright, I've imported the list into the game, done some changes and converted the format in the final python one.
    I also replaced stressed letters with "&#XXX;" combinations (as in the character map).
    If you make some change, please write in this thread what you have done, so that I know and I will update the mod itself.

Great to see you again, check the other previews

8. The Turk

The Turk Deity

are their anymore civs city names u need?

9. Al-Iskander

Al-Iskander Warlord

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I've just updated the wiki. That's the currently updated one. If you make some changes, report them here as well

11. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

While I haven't read every post in this 13 page thread, I did look over some of the city samplings and I was surprised when several famous, major cities were at or near the bottom of the lists in their respective countries. I understand that historical founding dates are important, but I hope that city fame and economic importance are considered as well.

Specifically, cities like Manchester and Los Angeles; hard to think of a world without them yet they are near the bottom while (on the English list) places which might be more appropriately called suburbs like Canterbury or Blackburn are ranked above it.

12. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

Someone please edit the wiki for me:

list 3 and 4 for Portugal:

3.Inland
    "São Paulo",
    "São Salvador do Congo",
    "Cidade de Minas",
    "Diamantina",
    "Vila Rica",
    "Oerias",
    "Tete",
    "Alpargatas",
    "Goias",
    "Cuiabá",

4.Coastal
    "Ponta Delgada",
    "Funchal",
    "Goa",
    "Luanda",
    "Porto Seguro",
    "Rio de Janeiro",
    "Lourenço Marques",
    "Díli",
    "Vitória",
    "Rio Grande de São Pedro",
    "Desterro",

13. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Manchester has only become important in the last 120 years of England's 1200 (or so) year history. Canterbury was pretty important from about 1100 to the 1600's. Los Angeles may be noticeable now,but in the 250 year history of the U.S., it only gained any real importance in the late 1950's. San Francisco, for instance, was much more important in overall American history.

Of course, this is only my opinion... :)

14. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

I'll happily add them to the wiki but please could you integrate with Rhye's entries first? There are some overlaps and I've no idea what the best order would be.

15. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

None of the colonial cities were actual German-controlled cities. You wouldn't put 'Chinatown' as an overseas city for China or 'British Antarctic Territory' for England. I haven't added the homeland cities to the wiki either, because the dubiousness of the overseas suggestions makes me dubious about the homeland suggestions as well.

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I've updated the lists.

17. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Lumpthing, the homeland suggestions are just fine and are all important German cities. As for the colonies, I suggest you look them up on wikipedia as I'm pretty sure most are legitimate colonies.

18. 19Mellon73

19Mellon73 Chieftain

Just two suggestions...
    Germany List 1 has to include Köln (cologne)
    - for folowing reasons: one of the oldest german cities (around 50 B.C.) and through classic and medieval times biggest german city, major city of the hanseatic league today still germanys 4th largest city with pop roundabout 1 Mil.
    Klausenburg hmm this is really a little . .. .. .. . on the map without really importance ever. Better would be Braunschweig, Worms or Augsburg
    Viking List 1: I would change Schleswig for Haithabu, as Schleswig was founded (in already post or at least decaying viking times) a few kilometers away from the original Viking Trading City of Haithabu. Haithabu was actually a major Viking city with a pop over 20k in its best times. Also Schleswig is IMO already a western slavic foundation.
    German list 2 may also contain Stettin as a major Port in hanseatic league times (still important Habourcity) and probably Memel (I would give up Oldenburg witch is at leastnearly 100 miles away from the coast and Elbing witch is a bigger village.

edith: oups, Köln is already there, hidden within a cryptic code

19. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

I have a couple things that I would like to discuss, and that is which cities are first on some of the lists. The first entry on lists 1 and 2 for each civ are very important because they will determine which cities are the civ's capitals.

First, England, list 1: In my opinion, York would be much more plausible as England's capital if they began with a non-coastal city. My reasons are that York was the capital of the Kingdom of Northumbria, one of the most powerful of the post-Roman British countries, as well as the capital of the Viking territory in the British Isles.

Second, Arabia, list 2: I don't see why Basrah would be the capital of a coastal Arabia. Jeddah would make more sense, due to its close proximity to Mecca and it's general overall importance during the times of the Caliphate. If Ostia is the coastal capital for Rome, then Jeddah should be the coastal capital for Arabia.

Third, Portugal, list 1: Here, Braganza should probably be the inland capital for Portugal, although I'm not too familiar with Guimaraes. However, Braganza was the seat of the royal house of Portugal prior to its formation as a country, and was the main city of one of the most important duchies of Portugal.

Also, I'm wondering about where cities currently in Belgium should go in the lists. I'm thinking the best option for now would be to put cities in Flanders in the Dutch list, and cities in Wallonia in the French list.

20. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

I always thought Kiev should be initial Russian capital, not Moscow (they might change to Moscow in case of reborn civ, as it was in RL).