Rhye's Catapult

indeed a more interesting but complicated implementation of a nomadic civ.

My meaning was to give that trait to some civs like Mongolia, so that they can:
- dismantle a city (and get a couple of settlers)
- build mounted units at a discounted price

I like the stuff Blasphemous just said about giving the camps unique improvements. I'd be wary of letting them settle in desert and tundra though, just for game speed's sake. Might be something more suited for the expanded (or Cannon or whatever ;)) version though. Its always good to add new interesting things that the core game doesn't have.

Gunner said:
Could you explain more in-depth how this is gonna work. I really like the idea in theory, but I think it'll take alot of thought and balancing to get it right. I assume that the human player's country won't be eliminated by an event at some point.

your assumption is correct. Human player won't be touched by these events.

Here's a more detailed description:

each civ has a certain turn coded for its birth.
When that turn arrives, its starting units may be placed in its starting location, if it is free.
If it isn't, they will be placed in a random placed within a certain broader area.
In addition to this, all the barbarian cities and units in the area flip to the new civ, and there's a chance that other civ's cities flip too, if their empire is enough big.

The death instead is more random. 5 or 6 times in the game a random turn in the next 40 or so turns will be chosen. In that turn the chosen civ's cities and units become barbarians. Hopefully we'll be able to make the transition slower later on. The civ is chosen between a poll of AI ones which are enough old, and there are some modifier that make some civs more likely to be chosen (like Persia compared to China)

Gunner said:
I like the stuff Blasphemous just said about giving the camps unique improvements. I'd be wary of letting them settle in desert and tundra though, just for game speed's sake. Might be something more suited for the expanded (or Cannon or whatever ;)) version though. Its always good to add new interesting things that the core game doesn't have.
Well, the extra traits are for the expanded version anyhow, this is completely irrelevent for the basic version (and as a result currently little more than nice musings that will bear no fruits any time soon.)

Rhye said:
What if
basic=catapult
expanded=trebuchet OR cannon
Well, the way I imagine it, the umbrella project and the team that develops both mods will be called Catapult, as a general name faithful to the mod's C3C predecessor. Then the basic mod would get the codename Trebuchet as a name of a weapon similar to the catpult but from a later era and more advanced, signifying that it's close to the basis of the game. The expanded mod would get a far more advanced piece of siege weaponry for its codename, Cannon.
If we call the basic Catapult and the expanded Cannon we get the same initial letter, so one should be Trebuchet for sure.
I think we should go for Rhye's Project Trebuchet and Rhye's Project Cannon for codenames. RPT and RPC.
Later on we'll pick better names for the real mods.

Rhye said:
each civ has a certain turn coded for its birth.
When that turn arrives, its starting units may be placed in its starting location, if it is free.
If it isn't, they will be placed in a random placed within a certain broader area.
In addition to this, all the barbarian cities and units in the area flip to the new civ, and there's a chance that other civ's cities flip too, if their empire is enough big.
This seems very good to me, will add alot to the game.

Rhye said:
The death instead is more random. 5 or 6 times in the game a random turn in the next 40 or so turns will be chosen. In that turn the chosen civ's cities and units become barbarians. Hopefully we'll be able to make the transition slower later on. The civ is chosen between a poll of AI ones which are enough old, and there are some modifier that make some civs more likely to be chosen (like Persia compared to China)
I'm not so sure about this. It seems quite harsh to me to have an entire civ turn barbarian. Could it possibly do something like have 1/2 or 3/4 of the cities go barb? Or is the idea that you want to get rid of some civs completely to make room for new ones? I think you could at least modify it so that if the human player is ever chosen for the "death" event then it will just lose half of its cities, that would make it a little bit more fair compared to the computer.

The current alpha of the basic mod will be available when the next official patch is out and it's updated to it.

And do you know when the next patch will be released? As you are working with Firaxis perhaps you have some insider info...

Gunner said:
I'm not so sure about this. It seems quite harsh to me to have an entire civ turn barbarian. Could it possibly do something like have 1/2 or 3/4 of the cities go barb? Or is the idea that you want to get rid of some civs completely to make room for new ones? I think you could at least modify it so that if the human player is ever chosen for the "death" event then it will just lose half of its cities, that would make it a little bit more fair compared to the computer.

If you leave some cities, then in the end you'll have a 18 civs game.
And in that case:
- you'd have a much slower game in modern times
- there wouldn't be much space for the newest civs to expand (and you know, this Earth is smaller than the civ3 one).
- birth of civs wouldn't work that well, 'cause there would be less barbarian cities around to convert into the new owner

After all, civs like Persia, Aztecs and America existed in different times. Though harsh, it's necessary to make some of them collapse into indipendent cities to make more room (Indipendent cities: that's the real meaning: they aren't really becoming barbarians. But there's no other way of representing them. A minor civ like the ones in Greek World mod would take a slot out of the 18).
Anyway, if we found a better solution...

I understand what you're saying about having the civs disappear, in fact I think what you outlined is best. It is kinda silly to have civs like Persia running around in the modern age.

I guess the best thing I had to contribute on this subject is that I think it would be cool if the player wasn't completely exempted from the collapse effect. The player would just loose like 1/2 of his cities or something like that.

Does the human player only have the option to be China, Egypt, or India?
If I choose to play as America does my game begin around 1750-1800?
If my Rome collapses 450-500 can I choose to play as a new civ like France?

So many questions. I understand these will be answered once the basic, RPT, is available; but, I'm slightly concerned. Thanks, this is the greatest idea I see listed.

EDIT: What is the turnaround time for the rise and fall of an empire? Is it enough for China to keep reappearing? Also, are you able to alter a civ's attributes in game so that Babylon can disappear c.500BC and resurrect as the Ottomans c.1300AD?

That was something I was wondering, can you have more than 18 civs in the civ xml file and then have them appear at different times so that never more that 18 are on at once? Because that would be awesome beyond amazingness :)

Also, what mechanism (if any) is there to determine what techs a civ has when it gets born? It would be good if there was some way to look at what its neighbors have at the time and tailor it to that. Otherwise it would be very difficult to balance if they always got the same techs.

Non Disclosure Agreement, as far I remember...
It's the contract you have to sign when you are chosen to beta-test a game (for exemple) in which you agree not to reveal anything of the running project

You should defenitly add Shumer to the original civilizations. Shumer is origination of all most important civ advances - writing, metal working, wheel, irrigation, and sophisticated agriculture (using planted crops to feed domesticated animals).

the condition to add a full civ is, as in RoC, that there's a decent quality leaderhead and UU.
Since there isnt anything like this, addition of civs isn't planned
However, they can be rapresented at least by barbarian cities, and at best with minor civs.
Unfortunately minor civs are treated as a player, and I haven't found so far a way to make more than 18 civs fit a game on a fixed map, as there's an index (18 is barbarian; higher than 18 doesn't seem to work)
Gunner, could you try too? I'd like to be 100% sure... if you can, use a mod that adds some civs, and then try to set a map with some civs whose index is > 18. Otherwise another solution would be via python, if there's any function that allows reassigning team data to the indexes (so that if one dies, will be replaced, reusing the same index)

Gunner said:
Also, what mechanism (if any) is there to determine what techs a civ has when it gets born? It would be good if there was some way to look at what its neighbors have at the time and tailor it to that. Otherwise it would be very difficult to balance if they always got the same techs.

It is based on the level of advancement real civs had at that time

Crayton said:
Does the human player only have the option to be China, Egypt, or India?
If I choose to play as America does my game begin around 1750-1800?
If my Rome collapses 450-500 can I choose to play as a new civ like France?

No, the human player can take any civ and will start in 4000BC anyway.

The alternative would be a late start but that would mean waiting 100-200 turns before playing

londoner said:
i can help, im not much of a modder however i have extensive web design skills and a vast knowledge of history. I played your previous mod for civ3, despite hardly posting i generally look at this site once every 3-4 days for the past 2 years!

so yeah, if u need that sort of help im here. I have some webspace and ill even get a domain as my contribution.

good luck! and i await for the day when i am able to play the mod!

pm me if your interested

really you were such a silent follower? :D
(I had always wondered who were the 40-50 daily visitors even in recent sabbatic times)

Well, the best thing you can do to help is to check the thread on regular basis. Don't worry about the site domain, I already am about to move to civfanatics.net
If I need any help in designing it, I'll ask you ok?

Top Bottom