Resource icon

[BNW] Rhye's Catapult 2020-06-02

OK, latest update:

I will ask for a new forum shortly, in July.
Once we move there, downloads will be re-opened on a conditional basis:
- no public link
- by requesting the download link to me, I offer you the link of the newest alpha release and one or more possible tasks of testing
- you open a new thread and comment your game

Sounds like a good deal?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal to me!

FYI the mod has been idle in the last two weeks, after extensive improvements that led to v78, the current alpha.

Still pondering about unit movement. Any suggestion? Is it needed to boost movement in later eras to make the interaction more global?

Super excited for it. Just about to win my first ever game of Rhye's and fall for civ 4, Russia is very powerful.

FYI the mod has been idle in the last two weeks, after extensive improvements that led to v78, the current alpha.

Still pondering about unit movement. Any suggestion? Is it needed to boost movement in later eras to make the interaction more global?

Generally, movement speeds increase indirectly in the late game via railroads and airports, but also directly through faster cavalry/armored units, faster navies, longer air ranges, and re-basing. There are some techs in base that increase movement speeds over roads and seas, I think, as well. Giving a +1 overall speed boost to a tech an era plus these scaling factors should result in a fairly global military force by the end game.

Really, these kinds of intercontinental wars came in three flavors: Nomadic Incursions, Colonial Conquests, and the World Wars.
Giving Civs that fill that first role early access to a movement boost tech (maybe focused on cavalry?) could reproduce those rapid expansions. However, I think many also actually have boosts to speed in the first place.
Allowing for large and rapid colonial spreading can be accomplished by boosting naval speeds in the Ren and Ind eras, making settlers cheaper/more powerful (higher starting pop/starting buildings/starting units) in those eras, or both! Land speed maybe shouldn't be boosted during the Ren era to make Civs focus on rapid expansion over seas, but slower expansion on land. Then the Ind era, with railroads and such, should allow for more land conquest.
By the late Ind/early Con eras, unit mobility should be very high, but another boost to navy speeds (sail->engines) and land speeds (on foot->rail->automobiles) should replicate the World Wars well.

So overall,
Ancient: Birth of navies and roads.
Classical: Horseback warfare, huge boost to nomadic cultures (not sure if should be tech or ability), land speed boost on roads.
Medieval: Land speed boost in general from better engineering/machinery/food storage.
Renaissance: Ocean travel, huge boost new settlements and naval speeds.
Industrial: Railroads and early aircraft, land speed boost from better supplies, naval boost from age of steamships.
Contemporary: Automobiles and globalization, land boost from faster cars, naval boost from age of long-distance communication.

Top Bottom