Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is up with the new patch. The wait time between turns is now extremely slow. Could some setting have been changed by accident? Maybe romaing barbarians or something?

I was sure it was just my comp... I installed some stuff that runs in the background on my comp yesterday so I assumed that's why it's suddenly so slow... Then I turned those things off and didn't notice that it made no difference.
Anyway, so far all I see is that the game is very slow between turns, and that research is WAY slow. It's speeding up now as we head towards the last quarter of the ancient age (at about 350AD) but I have yet to see if the timing will be right.
This is my first time palying as Germany, and it was just hell dealing with all those barbarian horse archers... They delayed my third city placement by a few dozen turns cause I had to build up military to deal with them. But that left me with a big military which is now having some fun in France. :D

Horton said:
Something is up with the new patch. The wait time between turns is now extremely slow. Could some setting have been changed by accident? Maybe romaing barbarians or something?
I thought it was just my computer, but I guess I was wrong.

It's painfully slow. Like worse than regular Civ3 on a map of the same size.

Aeon221 said:
The choice comes down to Thailand (longest lasting monarchy in the world if I am correct, which isn't often these days ;p)

No. The monarchy of Thailand is 700 years old spanning over 4 periods. The Danish monarchy is 1100 years old with the same bloodline. If you should be interested. Thailand may have the longest lasting absolute monarchy - that I do not know.

Asclepius said:
Why don't you just use the T34 animation from the PTW extra folder? That's a good animation.

An even better animation is riptide's T34/76 made for the Storm Over Europe Mod.
T - 34/76

You need to be a member of CDG to see and download the unit.

Oh, you're right, I didn't seek in the PTW extra folders.
The discussion can now be opened on what of T-34 and R-7 was more important to Russia.

Rhye, can you think of what you might have done to make the load times so slow? It's virtually unplayable now. I estimate that turn load times are at least 10 times as slow now.

Horton said:
Really?
Let's see what's changed:

-new governments
-addition of the marine unit
-some corrections to unit stats (kamikaze, grand battery, palace guard, swordsman&UUs)
-fixed civilopedia, pediaicons and pcx
-tech rate increased from 255 to 260 (so it's a VERY LITTLE change)

So it sounds VERY STRANGE that it's suddenly so slow.
If that is true, there are 4 possible reasons:

-the addition of a unit (I did not delete the A-bomb but gave it to everybody) exceeded some hidden limit (I hope this isn't the case!!!)
-the addition of governments exceeded some hidden limit
-Civ doesn't like rate caps.
-Immobile palace guards cause some problems

I'm betting it's the palace guards. The AI probably keeps trying to move them and getting confused.

The game started off hellishly slow for me as well. It was very odd. But I slugged through it and by about turn 50 things started getting faster. I am currently on turn 108 now and the game is running fine.

My game is going very well. As luck would have it Rome and Germany BOTH declared war on me on the same turn! I was able to beat them back and settle for peace with no cities taken or lost. I am in the early middle ages right now and I have 2036 gold!!! How crazy is that!

Anyhow, just stick to it, the game will eventually speed up.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed is that sworsman are more expensive than Urban militia! Whats up with that?
Swordsman: 36 shields
Urban Militia: 30 shields
Upgrade cost: 0

Ok I see my mistake. It wasnt the longest monarchy in the world, it is merely the oldest SE Asian country as it was never colonized by Europeans. Ok, I guess my memory of the area is a little rusty, but come on 6th Grade was the only time I have ever taken a class that even mentioned the place as a place, and not as it related to other places... although most of my courses fail to mention it even in that respect.

Still, I think that either Thailand or Vietnam would be far more logical than the Byzantines in terms of in game utility.

Rhye, you proooomised you would think about moving some civs around in the xpack ;p

I know you guys are still busy with my attack on Russian nukes and game speed, but this needs to be considered as an issue regardless of my unwillingness to actually doublecheck my memory against something ;p

I know why the guards are slowing things down!

They have the explore flag checked!

CLEARLY this causes an issue! How can a unit that does not move explore???

It boggles my brain, and the AI has shown time and again that it has even less computing power upstairs than me... so is there any wonder that this is a problem?

This message sponsored by the CTCASEACOOTB

Rhye said:
It's 4. Currently 3 of 4 are used.
A shame it wasn't five... It was such a nice idea. Oh well.

For the curious, though, it was to give each civ two "Being <trait>" techs that would lead to a new optional tech giving a nice, trait specific small wonder.

IE: Militaristic civs would be given a "Being Militaristic" tech at the beginning of the Industrial Age, and another tech, "The Great War" would require Nationalism and "Being Militaristic" and would give the small wonder "The Great War" allowing you to draft regular units as opposed to conscripts.

Agricultural -> A small wonder that acted like a hospital that required Feudalism.
Commercial -> A small wonder giving a 75%-100% bonus to commerce in one city. Maybe requiring Magnetism or Map Making.
Industrial -> A 75%-100% bonus to industry in one city. Requiring Industrialization.
Seafaring -> A small wonder giving the "water trade" flag to every city, maybe off of Map Making or Magnetism.
Religious -> A generic pilgrim site, giving some happiness and a little trade. Requires Monotheism.
Expansionist -> A small wonder that spawns a special scout unit (0.0.1 +ATAR +Reconaissance (The same ability fighter jets get)) every 6 or so turns. Requires whatever gives you spies.

Alas, it could've been such a good thing, no?

A little bit of testing has shown that the Palace Guards are indeed the source of the speed problem.

cemo1956 said:
The secret, I think, of getting cruise missiles on ships or/and subs are to make them tactical missiles, added to the cruise missile tag.

Then making the ship or sub carrying tactical missiles like the nuclear subs already are. Of course one can't add lots of transport on those subs/ships since the downside is that AEGIS Cruisers then actually can carry just as many normal Tactical Nuclear Missiles as cruise missiles I think.

The same problem with all transport for ships. 5 infantry equals 5 Modern Armor, which is a bit wrong, but that's Civ3 for you.

Cemo
I have been gone for a week, so started where I left off. In that case forgive me if this is noted in later pages.
Aegis cruisers(and any other USN warship capable of firing TLAM cruise missiles) can, indeed fire the nuclear version of this missile in the same numbers as the conventional. They have been removed from the fleet units for some time, but the ability was there and remains to put them on. It therefore is not unrealistic to say they can carry both in the same numbers.

Three_Crowns said:
No. The monarchy of Thailand is 700 years old spanning over 4 periods. The Danish monarchy is 1100 years old with the same bloodline. If you should be interested. Thailand may have the longest lasting absolute monarchy - that I do not know.
Just to clarify, Thailand has not been an absolute monarchy for quite some time now :)

Aeon221 said:
Hey Rhye!

You know what would be REALLY cool?

If I could take my brand spanking new US Marines, in their new and improved realistically moving ships, and invade a South-East Asian country... but we seem to be lacking one! Vietnam? Thailand? Laos? Cambodia? Is anybody here? Nooo... seems like everyone is in... Greece... hmm... thats not fair. Oh well, I will just have to do something really a-historical and invade... Persian... yes, Persian... cities in South East Asia. Because that makes sense...

Hmm. Hmm? HMM!

Perhaps one of those Greek countries should... disappear. Greece and Ottomans/Turkey seem valid, but the Byzantines... the Romans, really, dispossesed of Rome in an easily represented way for C3C. Why do they need to be here? Those Byzantines need a new home! South East Asia anyone? Plenty of beautiful rain forests, scenic mountains, and interesting places to invade for no particular reason!

JOIN THE CTCASEACOOTB TODAY AND CREATE A BETTER MOD!!!

(or as we like to say, the Committee To Create A South East Asian Civ Out Of The Byzantines)

(If you are thinking that I was pushing the Marines just for this... you would be right ;p)

The choice comes down to Thailand (longest lasting monarchy in the world if I am correct, which isn't often these days ;p) or Vietnam (a wonderful country rich in culture and unwarranted invasions!) in my eyes.

Let the battle be reopened!

Vietnam and Thailand do not really qualify in my eye as civilizations (merely countries) - Thailand/Siam is not in any way old - it settled from China a mere 700 years ago - It was only accelerated to fame because the colonial powers left it alone (to act as a convenient buffer zone between the British empire and French Indo-china) that and the fact the British Monarchy treated the king of Siam as an equal. Burma or Cambodia have a better claim.

Thailand has a chequered history, and has never been taken seriously by anyone - for example Thailand declared war on Britain at the start of WWII, Britain refused to even accept its declaration of war and never treated it as an enemy! And indeed its capital of today Krung Tep is only where it is because the Burmese sacked their capital and they fled to an area where the French would protect them (a small French trading post called Bangkok).

Also if a SE asian civ was included the ease with which the USMC UU would walk all over it really would serve to illustrate how overpowered a unit it is in terms of realism. :mischief: :)

Hi,
I want to say something about geography of turkey. There is never a desert in Anatolia. In contrast there is 4 river in west turkey ( of course they are too small to show in this map but they are important river for produce electricty) also there must be a wheat between incense and iron because middle anatolia is one of the huge wheat producer in europe.

Yaawn......
I just woke up. What a dream! In my dream the leaning tower was burning and fell to the ground because of the wind. It was broken into hundreds of pieces. I saved myself from the danger and then made a lot of photos with my camera before the arrival of the police, who sent me away.

Khift said:
A shame it wasn't five... It was such a nice idea. Oh well.

it could've been such a good thing, no?

Yes it was. The concept could be useful for many things. I'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom