Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've got alot to think about already, Rhye, but here's another thing that you might want to change.

In the standard civ game, Agricultural is by far the most powerful trait. It does four main things, with each listed in it's importance:

1. The extra food allows for a much greater chance of setting up a settler factory.
2. Large tracts of useless desert become nice and powerful cities.
3. Aqueducts and some modern improvements become much cheaper.
4. The extra food allows for a slightly better ratio of hills to grasslands worked in the later stages of the game.

The thing of it is, though, in your mod, Rhye, you get rid of the two main strengths Agricultural has - settler factories are utterly infeasible, and deserts can no longer be irrigated. Now, while I must say I fully agree with those changes, you can't deny that they take the Agricultural trait from first to dead last.

I honestly can't think of a good way to make the Agricultural trait a little more balanced, but I think it needs to be done.

Khift said:
In the standard civ game, Agricultural is by far the most powerful trait. The thing of it is, though, in your mod, Rhye, you get rid of the two main strengths Agricultural has - settler factories are utterly infeasible, and deserts can no longer be irrigated. Now, while I must say I fully agree with those changes, you can't deny that they take the Agricultural trait from first to dead last.
honestly can't think of a good way to make the Agricultural trait a little more balanced, but I think it needs to be done.

Yes, it was far too powerful, and now it is less useful. I hope that civs with few food will find it useful. In next patch Ethiopia will be agricoltural.
But apart from that, the editor doesn't allow a ridefinition of the civ traits (except changing the improvements and wonders that may trigger a golden age).

btw, what about the question you asked about the Xpack? Some of the changes you proposed are in since 2.51, and the rest of the answers is here

Asclepius said:
Something else I've noticed playing as the Vikings: they don't have any coal. Have you thought about representing the coal found in Svalbard (which isn't on the map)? The Vikings are very limited without saltpeter, horses or coal.

Where is Svalbard? I can't find it on my atlas. And I can't see any coal in Scandinavia.

Beernuts1987 said:
Speaking of India, I think they need a production boost in thier capital city. They get about 2 cities max before Persia or even Arabia claim the lower part of India.

delhi region seems ok. There are no LM terrains. I'll remove a shield near Persia starting location instead, and add a shield where Calcutta is

Rhye said:
I found where Svalbard is. The map doesn't reach that latitude. All I can do is add another coal in Scotland, so that vikings can try to conquer the land or have it by trade

Instead of having extra coal in Scotland, add a coal to Wales.

Chukchi_Husky said:
Instead of having extra coal in Scotland, add a coal to Wales.
That's not going to help the Vikings though is it? ;) I thought nearly all of the Welsh pits are now closed but the Scottish ones are still being mined?

Alternatively just put a coal somewhere in the tundra east of "Murmansk". That will prevent it from being easily accessible (within a city radius) and Russia and Scandinavia can fight over access (which is sort of like Svalbard which Russia claimed as well).

Just played about six hours of RoC 2.51 on Monarch as Austria yesterday (stayed up till 3:30). After a long hiatus, I had forgotten how graet this mod is.
Thanks again, Rhye. ;)

Blasphemous said:
Just played about six hours of RoC 2.51 on Monarch as Austria yesterday (stayed up till 3:30). After a long hiatus, I had forgotten how graet this mod is.
Thanks again, Rhye. ;)

:o Thank you again, without you all I would have abandoned the development of the mod since I released 2.0 :beer:
I hope the Xpack will satisfy your expectations

Asclepius said:
That's not going to help the Vikings though is it?

The Scottish coal would be for the Vikings, the Welsh coal would be for the English. The Welsh mines began closing in the 1970s, but the steel industry remains.

Chukchi_Husky said:
The Scottish coal would be for the Vikings, the Welsh coal would be for the English. The Welsh mines began closing in the 1970s, but the steel industry remains.
Thanks. I suppose it makes sense for the English to have more than one coal for exports anyway.

Only seems possible to win by having the highest score as the Vikings on Emperor. It's a damn hard game but I'm enjoying it. :)

I'm still on that game with Austria (now working through the european countries in the 1700s) and the Hussar is a bit problematic... Having only 2 defense is a major major setback. I can hardly feel safe using them outside armies.
Also, requiring only horses is pretty redundant since Austria can very easily claim Iron and Saltpeter.
I say add the Iron requirement and give them 3 defense.
When you need Knights to come and cover your assault forces defensively, you know something's gone wrong. =S

When 2.52 will be out ? ;) I want play England with 2.52 :p

Rhye said:
The hussars were light cavalry, so why should they need iron? You must cover them with fusiliers
They lose alot of their edge when you have to slow down and wait for Fusiliers.

Adding enslavement is an interesting idea. It will really alter the game I think. Depending on which units are given the ability you could wind up with the more aggressive civs having armies of workers available to improve terrain. Maybe limit it to ancient and medieval era UU's from civs that historically took alot of slaves?

As far as government tweaks go, I think lowering the corruption rate for democracy would be great. As it is you don't need to switch out of monarchy ever unless you plan to go conquest/domination in which case you're going to have to switch to communism. Democracy and Republic just can't compete with those two because of the increased support costs and rampant corruption due to some of the special rules in Rhye's.

Does anyone who plays at monarch or emperor actually use democracy? I can post a savegame or 2 to show how little benefit there actually is in switching out of Monarchy.

I can see how Svalbard could fit on the map. It won't be in the right location, but would probably be the next best location. Tundra located on coordinates 80,4, 81,7 and 82,6, and a hill with coal at 82,4. The island is roughly the same shape as Svalbard. I also altered the Bristol channel (inlet that separates Wales from South West England) to look more like the real Bristol channel. First, place coast on 74,34, place a hill at 74,32 (this is South Wales, where coal is found), place plains at 72,36 and 74,36, and place a forest at 73,35 (to represent Exmoor and Dartmoor).

chutchi husky-> I understand that you are from Bath, but I think that the changes you've made to Britain make it too fat. The particular of Bristol channel would be more accurate, but the overall British isle would lose accuracy in my opinion.
And about Svalbard, I won't put it out of place. It's far too north, much over the edge of the map.

Horton->The choice is limited to War Chariot, bowman, Immortal, Legion, Hoplites,Sipahi, Enkidu. But I'm not sure which of these units would be historically accurate, and which one may NOT become overpowered (remember that the Javelin Thrower (2/2/1+enslave) costs +10 gold).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom