Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello john paul jones and welcome.
Are you talking about the basic mod or the expanded?
In any case, be sure to have downloaded all the parts (4 for the basic, 5 more for the expansion), and unzipped them in the right location

Now I have JAPAN, too!

They look nice and healthy, with their 3 cities in the home isles and an additional on the continent to the SW. I like them. They of course make immediate contact with China, so tech is speeded up there a bit.

Hm, it is quite fascinating how a small country
with ca. 3 cities can keep up with the bigger ones in RoC... :)

I played test until turn 180, and saw the leader turn into Middle Age
exactly when in RoCX original! So I will keep with the original 400 turns schedule.

City names are now adjusted, thanks for the Viking names,
it falls in line what I have found yesterday in my big Time Atlas
(er, I found the Viking page, finally).

I made some corrections on the map:
1. Japan boats got to America - so I corrected Bering Strait
2. West South American coast now is settleable, to let Maya and Inca meet each other

NOW, how about having India (3-4 cities) ? :) I will try this, too!

Rhye, I noticed that you listed England higher on the strength scale than Germany. Actually I think that the Germans are the strongest civ if played wisely. Rome and England might have a slightly better starting city (and yes, the Roman Legions are incredible while England has direct access to oil), but as a human playing the Germans you can meet more civs more quickly, find more goody huts, and most importantly capture your first city earlier. Only the Byzantines have similar benefits, but iirc their capital is weaker and they aren't militaristic.
Well, I'll give England a try after finishing my Aztecs game. We'll see how long it takes to get to Paris and Amsterdam...

Some suggestions:
->Increase the 35k culture victory limit. I reached it by owning only European cities west of Byzanz in the early 17th century, with Berlin at about 9k, although I built all five religious wonders in Berlin, plus the Hanging Gardens, Shakespeare's Theatre and a couple of others.
->Maybe improve the starting locations for India and the Incas. At least India needs to be more powerful in all ages, e.g. on par with Persia. Just replace some jungle tiles with forest - or add landmarks to make jungle more productive.
And the Incas are the only civ without contact to anyone else for a long, long time. That's more than enough punishment, they should really get more generous terrain

I would welcome feedback upon the idea
of putting India on the "Rhye's standard" map, it would be civ No. 14... Should I do it?
China then would be smaller, maybe 4-5 cities, but would kind of more "real" China...

Umm, having these "new" smaller civs makes me think about
that maybe strength of big ones, like in Europe should be lessened...
Well, I will try India and see if China gets big enough -
maybe I can give China more area if needed...

And:

The zone south of the Sahara in Africa and the Eastern shore along river Congo
might be a place for yet another civ (No. 15)
I do not like Ethiopes getting big expanding to the west...

But I think I have to "stop" and consider things carefully, after all,
the 3 American civs get very big - 7-8 cities with ease...

for me, it is not easy job... ;)

Yes, you should add India and Dahomey (Mali)

Don't touch natives americans

That's all

Can i download the biq once done ?

I will put on India and Dahomey (thanks for the tip, Lachlan!),
and then it is 15 civs, finished.
I guess I will put the BIQ up here on Thursday or Friday,
so you can get it for the weekend.

karmina said:
Rhye, I noticed that you listed England higher on the strength scale than Germany. Actually I think that the Germans are the strongest civ if played wisely. Rome and England might have a slightly better starting city (and yes, the Roman Legions are incredible while England has direct access to oil), but as a human playing the Germans you can meet more civs more quickly, find more goody huts, and most importantly capture your first city earlier. Only the Byzantines have similar benefits, but iirc their capital is weaker and they aren't militaristic.
Well, I'll give England a try after finishing my Aztecs game. We'll see how long it takes to get to Paris and Amsterdam...

Some suggestions:
->Increase the 35k culture victory limit. I reached it by owning only European cities west of Byzanz in the early 17th century, with Berlin at about 9k, although I built all five religious wonders in Berlin, plus the Hanging Gardens, Shakespeare's Theatre and a couple of others.
->Maybe improve the starting locations for India and the Incas. At least India needs to be more powerful in all ages, e.g. on par with Persia. Just replace some jungle tiles with forest - or add landmarks to make jungle more productive.
And the Incas are the only civ without contact to anyone else for a long, long time. That's more than enough punishment, they should really get more generous terrain

Thank you for the info, I noted it but I'm not going to change anything anytime soon. I'm very busy with real life and tired of working on this mod.
However, as I've said, if any big issue comes out, I'll fix it and include the minor changes, too.

So, the Germans are 5/5, ok?

Rhye:
I double checked all the downloads, I did misdirect one. The civilization selection page now comes up for both the basic & expansion games, but they both shut down withe the following: Art\Units\Ancient Settler\\\\\\art\units\settler\settDefault.flc.
What next?
J.P.Jones

Rhye:

Yes, I have the English version of the non-gold CivIII. I haven't a clue if my C3C is version 1.22. How do I tell?

J.P.Jones

J.P.Jones said:
Rhye:

Yes, I have the English version of the non-gold CivIII. I haven't a clue if my C3C is version 1.22. How do I tell?

J.P.Jones

The bottom left corner of the main menu should say '1.22'. If it does not, download and install the patch.

It seems like corruption is pretty intense. I'm Rome, and a city in portugal has over half it's production/money lost. And thats in constitutional monarchy with a courthouse! Also on warlord difficulty, if that makes a difference.
Also, on my next game I think i'll lower the AI trade rate, because like 3 civs had some co-op tech thing going, because they were about 4-6 techs ahead.

All in all, it's a great mod, I think. :goodjob:

Zidane said:
It seems like corruption is pretty intense. I'm Rome, and a city in portugal has over half it's production/money lost. And thats in constitutional monarchy with a courthouse! Also on warlord difficulty, if that makes a difference.
Also, on my next game I think i'll lower the AI trade rate, because like 3 civs had some co-op tech thing going, because they were about 4-6 techs ahead.

All in all, it's a great mod, I think. :goodjob:

First Off - I love the Mod - I came close to blowing off a final exam just to finish one game about four weeks ago.

I played almost 3 full games and I agree with Zidane. Each game seems to have 4 civilizations who are 5-10 techs ahead of everyone else. If one civ gets a new tech, the other 3 will have it the next turn. Its a little imbalanced as these civs at times refuse to share :sad:

regarding corruption, ROCX puts greater importance on empire size (ie number of cities) and less on distance compared to standard C3C games. this more accurately simulates the viability of colonial empires (eg Britain) and the unwieldly nature of bloated empires despite contiguity of borders (eg Rome).

so in your portugal-city example, Z, my first question is how many cities do you have? if you have many, then your empire probably is suffering a fair bit of corruption all over. i would surprised if you only had a handful of cities.

if you do have many cities, i'd recommend strategic placement of your fobidden palace, and consideration of going communist to get the SPHQ and a colony to get the trading company, too, each of which adds to your effective empire size limit.

regarding trading, i dont think this is a ROCX issue, as much as it is a dynamic to get used to when playing large-scale (ie 30+ civs) games. it's actually one of the few things the AI does well, and the key for you as a player is to gain some leverage so that you can break into their trading circle to equalise and eventually take the tech lead.

If you are far behind, look to a civ who is a little ahead of you but militarily vulnerable. Start a war, take just enough cities that you can sue for peace and pick up a tech or two. Then, trade these techs to your less advantaged neighbors in exchange for gpt or other concessions you can use to trade up. If you still cant trade up, start another war. But you dont have to become a warmonger or maintain a ludicrous military, just use war as a "diplomatic" tool.

I'm sure there are other strategies people here could recommend, as well!

EW

Hi, folks!

I made progress on the standard size map version:
Now it has
INDIA and a new West-African civ:
JORUBA
(I chose this name as to Mali or Dahoney)
They work really nice, having 5-6 cities as natural empire. :)
This made Ethiopia remain where should be: on the north-east of Africa.
Also, China is "in China", with 5-6 cities.

I made some small repairs, regarding shields and food.
Also about leaderhead graphics (I hope that the game runs without error).
I gave Joruba the originally Ethiopian head,
and Ethiopia gets the originally Sumerian one...

I also did some UU selection,
all belonging to the Ancient Age or early Middle Age.
Except Kamikaze unit for Japan...
But this UU theme is something yet to be worked with.

Today I will do some testing, I am not totally satisfied with Rome,
it seems they get only 5 cities,
while the celts get 6 and
Scandinavia gets 7.
Tomorrow I will put up the BIQ,
with the 15 civs, here is a list of them, BTW, by culture groups:

EUROPEAN (2)
Celts
Scandinavia

MEDITERRANEAN (2)
Rome
Carthage

MID-EAST (2)
Babylon
Ethiopia

(Eth. gets up the river NIle and has chance to get to Arabia)

ASIA (4)
Mongolia
China
Japan
India

AFRICA (2)
Zulu
Joruba

AMERICA (3)
Iroquois
Maya
Inca

I had about 10 cities, give or take, because of the limited room in Europe. Also, I hadnt built the forbidden palace, because I was saving it fight corruption in a south american colony.
As for the tech through war idea, it could work, but I think i'm too late in the game to do that, since the gap is too big. I had to quit because the circle of 3-4 AIs I mentioned went around and made allaiances with the entire world against me, and my frigates just couldnt stop their transports and dreadnoughts from landing troops. (Was 1 tech away from those ships, but no oil) I mostly had problems with England, who seem a bit overpowered with all the resources at their disposal.
Like I said though, love the mod, dont even play normal games anymore :goodjob:

Hi everybody !

This message is mainly for Rhye, but maybe anyone can help !

I played ROCX for a long time, but needed to reinstall it all after a problem with my PC. Since then, I can not see anymore the religious techs in early medieval ages. They're simply not available in the Tech advisor screen. This is Christianity, Buddhism... I've seen in the editor that there are actually 2 techs of each, for eg Christianity and Christianity_. I understood that one of them is simply a "false" tech attributed to the right civs, and acts as a required tech for the 2nd. But why are these techs not displayed in the F6 screen, and even not available in the game ?

I'll check if the pcx files are here in the tech chooser folder, but I see no reason why there should not be. Please let me know any clue that could help me solve this without reinstalling all the mod.

Salutations.
Dabeuz.

I ask for opinions:

What should be the agression level for the 15 civs?
Should they be equally zero, or should they show characteristic difference?

How many traits should they have? I vote for three..
Yet have to decide on them...

I also have to decide on the starting techs, maybe keep most of Rhye's...

To Three Crowns:
Thank you. Yes, I only have version 1.00 of C3C. Now, as an elderly ignoramus, how do I download the patches?
J.P.Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom