RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Don't know if anyone has already proposed this, but since the Chislev are supposed to have a large empire with lots of cities, would it be a good idea to limit their cities to the first ring (i.e. the old Jotnar mechanic)? IMO it would fit their flavor pretty well, as they are supposed to be a confederation of villages.

Hey Valk.. I'm sure you seen how Wildmana is getting an overhaul for magic..so I've been wondering if Rife will too?

I always hated the thought that death magic is a summoner school but not entropy! Or perhaps Rife should be the first to introduce new schools eh ;)? Like demonology for example. Sacrificing a population for a demon.

Well anyways hope to hear from you on your thoughts about magic..

Take care.

Don't know if anyone has already proposed this, but since the Chislev are supposed to have a large empire with lots of cities, would it be a good idea to limit their cities to the first ring (i.e. the old Jotnar mechanic)? IMO it would fit their flavor pretty well, as they are supposed to be a confederation of villages.

Hmm... That's possible. Hasn't really been considered, but mainly because I put the chislev stuff off for 1.4.

Hey Valk.. I'm sure you seen how Wildmana is getting an overhaul for magic..so I've been wondering if Rife will too?

I always hated the thought that death magic is a summoner school but not entropy! Or perhaps Rife should be the first to introduce new schools eh ;)? Like demonology for example. Sacrificing a population for a demon.

Well anyways hope to hear from you on your thoughts about magic..

Take care.

If you dig through the Wild Mana forum, you'll see I posted some plans for Magic several days before Sephi announced his. Many things he did are quite similar to what I posted...

All I'll say is the actual schools (Alteration, Divination, Necromancy, and Elementalism) will not change. That is one of the things I seriously dislike about Sephi's version.

If you dig through the Wild Mana forum, you'll see I posted some plans for Magic several days before Sephi announced his. Many things he did are quite similar to what I posted...

if i were sephi i would be on your throat right now :D
luckily for you, i am not

All I'll say is the actual schools (Alteration, Divination, Necromancy, and Elementalism) will not change. That is one of the things I seriously dislike about Sephi's version.
the schools did not change, in the sense that there are still all those techs in the techtree.
it is just the new magic techtree were alteration is merged into the other three magic schools, otherwise there would not be enough spells for either school. when sephi announced his plans, i too did want to have a fourth school (arcane), but looking at the current system in the beta he is probably right in doing so. technically it would be only some minor xml changes to revert back to a 4 school system, but it would not do the game any good, imho.

if i were sephi i would be on your throat right now :D
luckily for you, i am not

Heh. The posts were in Tarq's "Limiting Magic" thread, you can dig them up if you like. Two full days before Sephi announced anything.

I'm not saying my post inspired anything one way or the other. The similarities are all in reference to the absolute base mechanics; National mana pool, spells costing mana, etc. All I'm saying is Sephi's work has not inspired our own in any way, shape, or form. Aside from the Auras; I quite like those, looking at that aspect of it with some interest. :lol:

So: Two very different systems. Two very different designers. I just want to make perfectly clear that we are not 'stealing' Sephi's system, seeing as his will likely be out first. (Ours is planned for 1.4)

Edit: Actually, I dug them up.
Spoiler :

Or implement a global/national 'mana pool'...

Spells cost a certain amount of mana to cast, limiting the number each civ can use in a turn.

Summons are all permanent, but take a certain amount of mana as upkeep. Large initial cost, constant perturn drain, killed off if there isn't enough mana available for them.

Only X mana regenerates each turn, increased by certain buildings/resources (maybe even by untyped mana? Cost/benefit for gaining access to spells or leaving the mana unimproved).

Mana can only be accumulated to a cap of Y (a cap keeps a civ like, say, the Doviello, from becoming arcane beasts after suddenly gaining mages when they capture the Amurites. Without it, they'd have massive amounts accumulated), affected by buildings/traits/etc.

Tarq may recognize this idea. :p

Actually, that's a good idea; Opera had an idea for faith points of some kind, rewarding staying with one religion rather than switching. Would be a very good way to do it.

To be clear: Do NOT read those as a final design, it is quite different at this point. :lol: It IS based on ideas of other modders; However, those modders are the Fall Further team, not Sephi. The base idea comes from a thread in the FF team forum.

The full design is essentially my own at this point, however, and will be a large change while still essentially keeping to the lore.

the schools did not change, in the sense that there are still all those techs in the techtree.
it is just the new magic techtree were alteration is merged into the other three magic schools, otherwise there would not be enough spells for either school. when sephi announced his plans, i too did want to have a fourth school (arcane), but looking at the current system in the beta he is probably right in doing so. technically it would be only some minor xml changes to revert back to a 4 school system, but it would not do the game any good, imho.

Honestly, the only reason there are not enough spells to go around is because they are not being designed. That is it. Combining those schools into something so generic as "Holy, Elemental, and Unholy" goes against the majority of the lore, makes things too simplistic, and just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Having summons as built units does the same thing; Neither of those changes will ever be in RifE. We are changing summons ourselves, but it is via the introduction of Willpower, not by making them generic built units. Oh, built with mana, and with auras... But still built.

And IMO it DOES do the game quite a bit of good to have four schools, but to explain that I'd have to explain how we will handle them, which I won't do aside from this phrase: Specialization, without undue limitation. Suffice to say, though I provided the initial idea many people have commented and provided feedback on it; It will play quite nicely. ;)

Edit: Yes, I am aware that Alteration, Divination, Elementalism, and Necromancy are also generic... But not nearly as generic, IMO, and having all four leaves room for far more possibilities.

Just wondering, since this didn't come up in a search: why doesn't the Great Bard have Dimensional I like the other Great People?

Well lets not forget transmutation and illusion! bring back disintegrate :) Also, i gave up on flying, moving cites, but why not just hovering cities? They get some inherint bonus to defense and trade but the settlers cost more?

I posted awhile back about some additions to the Hippus that I'd like to see. Specifically I'm referring to my desire to see some, or at least one, support unit that can keep up with the cavalry.

Mage Dragoon
It would be sweet if 2nd tier spell casters for the Hippus could 'purchase' a mount. Essentially it would be a non-buildable unit that 2nd tier Hippus casters could upgrade to that would have a horse animation and receive the horselords promotion.

A Mage Dragoon would be able to cast tier 1 spells while mounted (all the jostling disrupts their concentration so they can't cast the tier 2 spells). By default they would have a cast ability called "dismount" that would restore their ability to cast tier 2 spells the next turn. The foot version would have a cast ability to "remount" that consumed their cast AND move turn.

The effect would be that the Hippus casters could keep up with the army until they arrived at battle and then dismount and fight at the cost of one turn. When it is time to move on the army would have to wait one turn for the Mage Dragoons to remount. This would weigh in favor of using the Dragoons' abilities for longer journeys.

Truth? I really really like the name Mage Dragoon........

/]rchon;9156153 said:
On the subject of the Mechanos I just finished up texturing the new Goliath model for you's to see, I ditched the 2 arm cannons in favor of just the chest one to make animation much easier.

Also Ive hit my damn cap limit for the month putting me on dial up speed till next month and my net is unstable as is, so no downloading Blender or animating this from me :C

Hopefully someone might be able to pick up that task, I can send over the file if noted.

I do hope I got a giant imposing look and style down for the thing at least :p

Also might scaled down versions of this be used for the Vultures to?

/]rchon asked me a while ago if i could teach his "Goliath" walking. Attached is the ingame ready nif and the animation. I also downloaded the files for the war wheel - so expect the unit sometimes in the future (means perhaps in some months :lol: )

Attachments

• goliath.zip
    231.8 KB · Views: 66
This may be a redundant question, but I've looked around and can't find the answer. Is it possible to disable the Malakim automatic desertification trait?

OK, now I am going to feel REAL dumb, but when I try to do so it just tells me I am not allowed to save the file. I full administrator privileges (I'm the only one who uses this computer) so now I'm extra stumped.

It's because it's in ProgramFiles, and you're on Vista or Win7, with UAC enabled. You have three options:

1. Turn off UAC. Not the method I'd use.
  2. Claim ownership of the file. This is what I did, but only do this if you're going to make regular changes.
  3. Copy the file out of program files (My Documents, for example), make the change, and then copy/paste it back. Requires Admin rights, but works fine. For a single edit, this is what I'd recommend.

I would like it if the dwarfen civs would be more dependet on peaks.
They could only be able to build their cities and perhaps dwarven mines on/in peaks.:)

Top Bottom