RIFE coming to civ 5?

So... Lots of unicorns, rainbows and butterflies? :D

Hell no. :eek:

haha, I'm guessing more along the lines of magic vs. steampunk

Actually, no. Nothing along those lines, or Tolkien, or FfH, or Warhammer, or anything like the standard fantasy Elves + Orcs + Dwarves. :lol:

Well that's reassuring. I'm really getting back into FFH2 because of RifE. Got a little panicky when I though it might get cut off :)

That and trying some multiplayer, gods knows why I didn't try that before, it's so much fun! I'd be up for some MP RifE at some point. maybe with the next version.

With the next version City Spells should no longer cause OOS, so there shouldn't be many sources left. :goodjob:

My brother and I'm the singer. The title is a tease for something relevant to this thread.

So... It will be fantasy Sci-fi? Like Star-trek?

What? No. That's just Scifi. Fantasy is very different. :lol:

It is not scifi, it is not steampunk, it is not tolkien-esque (standard fantasy). That's about as much as we'll say.

My brother and I'm the singer. The title is a tease for something relevant to this thread.

Very nice! And I love the teaser. :lol:

Star Trek would be pure Sci-Fi compared to Star Wars which is pretty much more Fantasy than it is Sci-Fi

Our Civ5 Mod's version of fantasy is more disney with a bloody sledgehammer than it is Tolkien.

Star Trek would be pure Sci-Fi compared to Star Wars which is pretty much more Fantasy than it is Sci-Fi

[/rant]
Well if you want to be picky about it neither is strictly Sci-Fi.
What Star Trek lacks with the Force it makes up with Subspace, the Q, time travel and all sorts of junk.

Sci-Fi is about making fantasy that conforms to the laws of physics or breaks them in a way that is self consistent (as in if you introduce some exception you make an effort to show the effects of it beyond the standard "this makes my ship go whoosh!"). Look up Asimov and people like that for real SF.

Star Wars and Star Trek, if you ask me it's nothing more than standard fantasy but in space.
[/rant]

[/rant]
Well if you want to be picky about it neither is strictly Sci-Fi.
What Star Trek lacks with the Force it makes up with Subspace, the Q, time travel and all sorts of junk.

Sci-Fi is about making fantasy that conforms to the laws of physics or breaks them in a way that is self consistent (as in if you introduce some exception you make an effort to show the effects of it beyond the standard "this makes my ship go whoosh!"). Look up Asimov and people like that for real SF.

Star Wars and Star Trek, if you ask me it's nothing more than standard fantasy but in space.
[/rant]

Eh. Star Trek is crap scifi. There is no attempt to explain how :):):):) works, or give it any kind of basis.

Asimov, Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Baxter.... They write hard scifi, which is infinitely better IMO. It's what I read, in fact. :lol:

We I to make a scifi mod, I could see using the Foundation universe. Or Ringworld.

Eh. Star Trek is crap scifi. There is no attempt to explain how :):):):) works, or give it any kind of basis.

Asimov, Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Baxter.... They write hard scifi, which is infinitely better IMO. It's what I read, in fact. :lol:

We I to make a scifi mod, I could see using the Foundation universe. Or Ringworld.

Try to contain your disdain! Star Trek is a sci fi that has had a bigger impact on more people than all of the authors you have mentioned combined. Except perhaps Asimov, since he seems to have been making movies posthumously.

They all have their place. Star Trek is like the guy who says "Why don't we build a car that doesn't malfunction sometimes and kill the people who drive it." Whereas Niven says "What if we only market our car to bad people?" Pournelle suggests selling every person on earth a belt to attach them to any one car of their choice, thus saving them from a car related death. Neal Stephenson has been quiet in the back of the room until now, at which point he asks "Why does our car only kill the driver sometimes?"

Try to contain your disdain! Star Trek is a sci fi that has had a bigger impact on more people than all of the authors you have mentioned combined. Except perhaps Asimov, since he seems to have been making movies posthumously.

They all have their place. Star Trek is like the guy who says "Why don't we build a car that doesn't malfunction sometimes and kill the people who drive it." Whereas Niven says "What if we only market our car to bad people?" Pournelle suggests selling every person on earth a belt to attach them to any one car of their choice, thus saving them from a car related death. Neal Stephenson has been quiet in the back of the room until now, at which point he asks "Why does our car only kill the driver sometimes?"

Eh. By 'crap scifi' I mean scifi that doesn't make an effort to remain within known laws of physics, or extrapolate upon them. Star Trek just... does whatever it wants. :lol: It's only had a larger effect because it is a TV show, and sadly, that gives it a larger audience than any book will have.

Stephenson is a good one too, btw. Loved Snow Crash.

To be truthful I would love to see an all steam-punk mod that would really be legendary in my eyes. All airships and mechanical monsters to use to fight with instead of all the magical beasts. If I knew how to mod I would make that, but unfortunately I have no idea how to translate my ideas to a working mod.

Top Bottom