Rising Tide - First Impressions

Anyone in NA getting it to download yet? Mine still says coming soon.

EDIT: Download just started!

Mine automatically started installing 20 minutes ago (12am EST) while I had steam sitting open, and it just finished. Starting it right now, it's here. Been playing the Battlefront beta while waiting since I was expecting it to come at like 3am. Time to go from being the OP Empire to the OP PAC. :p

Edit: Just wanna add I can't log into the My2K thing either, and the max amount of sponsors you can pick even on a massive map is 10. That's a definite change since I had a number of massive max sponsor games before and I know it was 12+ for sure.

So, talking about OP things, I've been thinking the past days how powerful a Station Sentinel - Alternative Market combo is and if the yield bonus applies to the energy from the virtue. It was one of the potential OP things I identified. Has anybody tried it out. It would make trading with stations pretty broke, especially with Hutama and amphibious trade units that alow you to reach far more stations than before.

I like that leaders constantly compliment you on your science and culture, even when you're wrecking their cities and committing mass genocide of their people.

I can only imagine they're being super duper sarcastic.

So I guess there can be multiple marvels on the same map? I have found a hydracoral brain 6 tiles away from a giant fungus. Needless to say this surprises and confuses me a bit.

Just noticed if you settle an outpost in an already complete ring of claimed tiles it instantly becomes a city, making the strategy the devs kept talking about where you constantly move your capital and drop colonists behind you much more viable than I'd originally thought.

Just noticed if you settle an outpost in an already complete ring of claimed tiles it instantly becomes a city, making the strategy the devs kept talking about where you constantly move your capital and drop colonists behind you much more viable than I'd originally thought.
I can't remember if that was always true. I don't remember if I ever settled somewhere that didn't have at least one tile to take in the six around it.

Alright. Impressions as I play.
-Cute starting screen and good music
-The texts icons have some overlapping with the line of text above (icons too big in text). Ugly.

Let's pick Al-Fallah and I'll pick Merkel in the video. Appollo, standard

-No change in Seed options. Guess I'll have to manually activate the stuff from starships again. Artists, Continental survey, machinery it is then on primordial terran.

Some new options like All In Water start or All coastal start. Let's pick all coastal. I land in crappy tundra alright thanks game.
-So continental surveyor shows the ressource pods on coast. Ok.
-Primordial biome is of better quality than the 3 others

This continental surveyor allows me to go straight for all these water artifacts... That seems a bit too good.

-This artifact system seems to rely too much on luck for my liking. I wonder what are the other stuff I can get with it which are OP.
-On the other hand finding artifacts is fun !
-Was it too much work to work on virtues ? None of them has any relation with the new systems. That's lazy.
-WHY ? OH WHY are they making the already important buildings EVEN BETTER by adding capital on it ???
-Many ressource pods and artifacts.

There hardly seems to have a point for those agreements early in the game. Developping your self seems way more worth it than spend 9/t on some bonus.

-Water is good looking.
-Sloppy: Diplomatic capital is not shown in city screen !

-So Hutama dow me for what exactly... ha yes because my empire sucks ? Kind of dumb. Especially when he then does nothing in the war
-9capital for me ? Why would you ever refuse.
-Those agreements are awfully unbalanced.
-STOP SPAMMING ME about agreements O_O.

Oh so now that I want an agreement you refuse even though you're cooperative -_- Could you please just list those that will work. Back to developping my own....

The AI has gone full derp I see. Know that thing that would happen with Portugal in CiV, where Maria would march a settler halfway across the globe for no apparent reason? Well the AI is doing that with water cities now for some bizarre reason. Especially annoying when they do it right on my doorstep.

Also I'm already very sick of AIs telling me my science/military sucks right after I meet them. System is just as annoying/bad as I'm sure everyone expected. I don't care if the AIs hate me right off the bat just because they want my land, that's fine, I just don't need to hear about it every 2 seconds.

I'm having a lot of fun so far! That said, water append move through my territory a lot more than land ones used to. They're also more aggressive. In one turn, one killed a worker, another killed a cruiser, two more suicided against my capital, two more attacked a unit near a nest, and one pillaged a tile. Ask on green relationship with aliens.

Wow, they made it really hard to get Purity levels. And for some reason, I'm not getting any affinity quests, which means I'm on turn 80 with only 2 levels of Purity, and even that is from rushing ballistics, a tech I would never beeline in vanilla.

This diplomacy is awful.
Really. I can't even....
Random dows, nonsensical messages (making an AI annoyed because you don't have good energy wasn't going to make sense to begin with). Every damn second bipbipbip, no diplomatic actions...

Enough for tonight. Can't even say if I find this better than the original.

New bug: If I attack a station by right-clicking (ranged unit) I get a popup that asks if I really want to declare war against "Alien". Again, and again and again each time I attack. Makes me wonder if all playtesters click the ranged attack button to attack or if that bug is known. :p

New bug: If I attack a station by right-clicking (ranged unit) I get a popup that asks if I really want to declare war against "Alien". Again, and again and again each time I attack. Makes me wonder if all playtesters click the ranged attack button to attack or if that bug is known. :p

Well you saw how overjoyed the devs were when two stations landed right near their capital in their Al Falah video. Why on earth would anyone attack such a useful place?!

Well you saw how overjoyed the devs were when two stations landed right near their capital in their Al Falah video. Why on earth would anyone attack such a useful place?!

because **** the stations, they're in the way of more cities :p

The early game is a lot fun now, though. More exploration, more art, later contact and the customised greetings for the leaders... Adds a ton of atmosphere and it's a lot of fun.

Not sure it'll stay this way, but the first 100 turns or so are probably one of the most fun 4X early games I've seen so far (as it's usually just building up, here, you get to actually explore).

Sent from my phone, please excuse terseness and typos.

Things of note:
All of this is on Vostok or whatever as I didn't want to deal with aggression....which will be funny when you finish reading this post

On water cities starting civs/Korea-

I think soldier is going to be way better than worker. A starting worker can easily upgrade all the starting tiles before you're even close to being ready to move/expand and will often have a lot of down time or force you to spend energy.

A starting cutter however will let you explore more of the map and snap up a TON of resource pods(and by extension artifacts). This is also VERY important for korea as having a high move unit right out the gate lets you meet someone quickly. Further you'll almost always be able to get the marvel quest done faster than others (oh and btw leashing quest is broken as hell and will almost certainly need a nerf)

Further i'm testing knowledge/prosperity/might as my open. Knowledge for the + science on expiditions, prosperity because the free settler will proc the quest (usually getting done after i've rushed pioneering) and then grabbing the + expeditions and health if needed, and might because on the ocean it's VERY easy to farm aliens for XP. I think affinity wise purity/supremecy or the hybrid of the the two should be ideal. Helps explorers, helps alien murdering, and you get an early lev unit which is important for aquatic battle.

On artifacts-

These are easily the best thing about the expansion. We'll need to figure out what gives what reward, as passive rewards are worth saving for, but non passive ones are probably better waiting for later and popping them for the bonuses at the start. Either way even if broken as hell this is the system that's bringing a lot to the game. Some of the bonuses are NUTS though (+50% to air passive, +2 free worked tiles building, +10% yields when at war building, +50% internal trade routes building, etc).

On traits-
I hope these open up more playstyles. Just having a +Health trait makes me think you might be able to do openings like the one I posted above with some quick knowledge/might rush and not instantly hate your life.

On virtues-
Holy god do these feel out of place now. I feel here is especially where aquatic cities suffer

On aliens-
So uhh....i lost my capital to an angry kraken (and basically the game given I was slow expanding and only had one other city). I had the forces to stop it had I been concerned (and honestly I feel like it just spawned there...no nest or anything) but I had a fence on my capital and even though the aliens were red, who cares. I'd sent my army of sea dragons (seriously..leashing marvel quest is DUMB) to go clear alien nests for artifacts backed up by my subs and no one was even close to me militarily.

Then it destroyed my farm and I was ticked so I started poking at it. Then it hit my city for half its hp. Then it did it again. Then it blew it up. I'd been racing my units back since I saw it, but no one was close enough, and frankly I would've needed quite a few.

So yeah. At the very least for all that they may have screwed up a LOT more in many directions, rogue krakens seem to be a thing, and they're actually legit. Oh this was sub turn 70

Finally I present the glorious AI with the best city ever(note that I am hovering over one of those tiles. Check the yield):
http://imgur.com/2oegVSc

Top Bottom