1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Tide - First Impressions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Ryika, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

It seems that a moving city can steal your tiles, I had to eradicate Elodie just to get some petroleum back (she wouldn't make peace for no reason).

The farm thing must be a bug, I'm building the right improvement until they fix it.

Water cities die like flies, it's incredibly easy to conquer them just with 3-4 bombardments and a melee ship.

All in all it's a nice update (even if closer to a patch then to an expansion)

2. Arnelos

Arnelos Chieftain

Yup, we're purchasing into being part of their expanded beta testing group - though this would hardly be the first time a lot of us have probably done that.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd have the patience for this in most games (and that's probably how most others are going to feel about BERT...), but it's a Civ game and that's my thing. I'll end up sinking 300-1000 hours into this one way or another... a few dozen before it's really working isn't the worst way for me to spend my free time.

Alas, I figure for MOST potential customers, this is going to make for fairly poor PR for the release itself (especially with that "don't buy this game" RPS review out there). Firaxis arguably has plenty of financial incentive to hurry along that patch before they lose whatever other audience they might get for this game. The YouTube critics haven't really weighed in yet, but they're likely to savage this thing in its current state and then already have new toys to play around with by the time this is fixed.

3. Jamadman

Jamadman Chieftain

I guessing it means those resources don't count towards virtue bonuses either for improved resources.

So seems less like a bug and more like a feature to me, seeing as you get to chose yields you want or improved resources?

But it is pretty debatable.

4. Veras

Veras Prince

This thing with building improvements everywhere would make sense on water, after all having titanium on the bottom does not prevents me from building a farm or a generator on the surface.

Of course that is not justifiable on land.

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, the Improvement-Table has no proper entries that would allow them to be built on any tile, Academies even have an entry that is meant to prevent that from happening:

<BuildableOnAnyResource>false</BuildableOnAnyResource>

So if it's intentional, then it hasn't been implemented the "proper way" (that allows modders to create their own rules) as far as I can tell.

6. Arnelos

Arnelos Chieftain

Before strategic resources were revealed in vanilla BE (early game), couldn't you always just build farms there before the resource was unlocked? Or am I remembering wrong because it's been ages since I had that come up?

7. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I still await it to release for myself.

I was really, really hoping that naval military AI would get an upgrade with sea cities, but apparently not.

Reminds me how I won a recent Civ 5 game with four Frigates because the AI never mounted a meaningful resistance. (Despite having the tech to do so.)

8. Ryika

Yes, you could.

Now you can build them although they're visible.

Other topic: After 176 turns of mostly randomly clicking buttons and ignoring quests as Htuma I'm now ready to start constructing the mind flower. The Powercreep is real.
    /edit: Although actually building that thing takes a lot longer without trade routes fueling the capital.

9. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

Quantum computer has got an entry mistake in the xml table :
    Remove this line :rolleyes:

10. Ryika

Hm. Neat. Not that I would be worth building because of that... :D

11. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Let's just hope Firaxis is listening to the feedback from their unofficial beta test.

12. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Weird. I thought they gave the bonus back to all his cities because it was only early trade routes and not extra, and not a bug. Seems like they should have either fixed the bug and made it two extra or had it just be early for all cities.

13. Manannan

Manannan Prince

This; I didn't realize it was a bug. Good to know Polystralia are back to being OP I guess.

14. Veras

Veras Prince

The game would be more interesting if all factions were OP in some way. At least Polystralia and PAC are on the right direction.

15. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

But... But... Then they'd all just be P...

16. Acken

Acken Deity

Let's be realistic. They just broke the logic in the dll while working with sea tiles :D

Forums are going to be fun.

17. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Huh, I can build Observatories and those clone-buildings that improve xenomass with production in (water-)cities that don't have those ressources. Another city has xenomass though. And yet another has Firaxite in range, but not in the borders. :rolleyes:

18. Veras

Veras Prince

There is an option to turn off water cities on game settings? I have a feeling I'll want that sooner or later.

19. Ryika

Nope. But it's easy to make into a mod.

20. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Warlord

Anyone in NA getting it to download yet? Mine still says coming soon.

EDIT: Download just started!