1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Role Play Challenge: GREED!!! revisited

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by madscientist, Aug 1, 2008.

1. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

On another note, 2NW of Timbuktu would have possibly been the best GP farm ever.

TWO pigs. TWO corn. And a clam!

2. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

GREED! Part II

Well, we had better put on our best diplomatic face or this RPC is going to be VERY VERY short!

Rush JC? Never said that JC, must have been someone else!!!

Techpath went: Pottery/Mysticism/writing/masonry/sailing. All economic techs!

Our nest city is very close to JC

Locking in the gold, trying for the marble and sheep which will be a significant culture struggle.

And soon we fin this walking arround

Note the PRAT!!! JC my friend, what can I do for you!!! Just tech off currency and I will tribute whatever Rome wants!

And we agressively settler the next city to the north to claim those horses and another gold resource.

THAT essentially establishes a wall of cities against JC. Right now I see one chance of survival, a massive buildup of a defensive army while getting a very strong economy to outtech JC to rifling. Very long range, but gotta start thinking along those lines.

And of course we are not limited to just JC and us

OK! Can someone please found a religion so we can convert.

After sailing we saved, a look at the malinese empire

And diplomacy certainly looks to NOT favor us.

And Power numbers

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!

OK, the immediate plan

1) Spam out Skirmishers and axes.
    2) Tech next IW or HBR, we need one of them.
    3) We can plant three more cities with a very compact empire.
    4) We need some great diplomacy here and a massively strong hybrid economy.

So how is it looking???

3. madscientist

Settling on a hill for the extra 1 hammer, keeping the copper on our side of the city (no culture flip from JC), a strong cottage city, and well defended (JC has to attack a hill city accross a river).

4. semirami

semirami The Wolf

JC very close to Construction :eek:

Mad, I dont want to be a pessimist, but I think he will attack you soon and I dont know how you can hold him.

5. madscientist

I think you are absolutely correct. My best defense is to get HBR and use teh HAs for flanking damage on the coming catapults. Looks bad though, I agree

6. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

My advice at this point is to stick a settler and axeman on a boat and get the heck out of there! :D Trying to survive the total anihiliation of your civ would make for an interesting challenge.

But in all seriousness, things are looking pretty bleak between praetorians, that power level, and how little he likes you. Check out the diplomacy screen for declaring war and see if he has "too much on his hands".

7. semirami

semirami The Wolf

I agree for HBR. You must research it right now. IW is a waste, because swords won't help you much. Abandon sailing, let the barb galleys pillage your seafood, who cares. If Djenne doesn't have a library yet whip/chop one immediatelly. You must win those elephants. And of course after HBR, go straight to Masonry-Math-Construction. If you are lucky, JC may postpone his attack.

EDIT: Oh, now I see, that you already have Sailing and Masonry, that's even better.

8. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

Mad, I fear you are doomed.

9. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

I agree, you should try this.

Anyway, I fear Julius is about to destroy you :( I bet he got IW from a hut.

10. madscientist

He was techign IW very early, my guess is he popped BW. Hammers for a settler and galley??? I would rather fight it out and see how far the Mali UU can get us.

11. hal08

hal08 Warlord

I wonder if you would have been able to control an ivory tile by settling closer to it, or even on top of it, as shock elephants no doubt can handle praets.

edit: Of course, construction and HBR are a ways off.

12. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Shock elephants? How about amphibious shock elephants?

13. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Go skirmisher go. This is going to be intense. :):):)

14. madscientist

GREED!!! Part III

Well, Killroyan was right, it was very intense. For a while I thought I could hold off Rome and was sure I could but the War Elephants did us in, although the Mali did fight honorably.

We started to tech HBR and built walls and skirmishers for the target cities. I thought this would scare off the mighty Roman armies

Unfortunately, JC was non to impressed.

Kemla Kai and Jenne were the two major targets of JC, which pillaged very little.

For those asking, CG I skirmishers in a walled city is plenty of defense to ward off even Roam Prats. Many Roman Prats died attacking us, and they were essentially a none issue.

You can see some of the power numbers

Two major problems I forsaw, Roman Cats and Roman War elephants. We actually got

Soon after JC got construction so it was a race to who could produce what faster. We held our own, suiciding several HAs with flanking 2 (some survived) to take out several cats.

Now Sury teched off alphabet and offered us IW for HBR. I see no benefit fron IW for essentially a defensive war, but he accepted this

So JC has a 2 front war, I assume. We still do not know where Sury is, he could be off shore. Either way, they never made peace.

Unfortunately JC would not grant us peace unless we tributed him a city, which we sould not do.

As we attempted to tech Math to Construction we start seeing these babies

Roman Jumbos.

We tried to build up an army of axes to take a border Roman city and tribute it back for peace, however we never could get that off the ground. The best we could manage was a pillaging raid on Roman elephants.

Roman citizans were screaming in the streets as their beloved Jumbos were brutally slain at the hands of the vial Malinese :D.

Didn't last long as half our pillaging stack was killed and the rest bolted for home.

We got this pleasent surprise.

And we did in fact have iron in our BFC, although is required 3 culture pops. The original settling spot would have claimed it.

Finally the inevitable happened

Cats, HAs, and War Elephants were just too much for our noble skirmishers.

At this point I saved and I think the RPC is closed. If it was an RPC with a protective leader holding off Rome that's one thing, but this is about Malinese GREED and we are going no where fast. I have included the save, but the idea of a slow defeat at the hands of an inefficient AI is brutal. At least Shaka knows how to finish someone off fast!

Gotta say this was bad luck with JC so close and him getting iron so darned fast! So goes it.

We shall make one more attempt at Malinese GREED, this time at Monarch level with a tougher RPC rule. MM can never trade off his gold, he must continue to bolster the Malinese treasury. However, he may use it for buying buildings via Universal Sufferage. I'll post the new start later on.

15. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Nice try.

How about a true greed challenge, 0% science, 100% cash? All game long. Something like that, or maybe 50% cash all game long. May only build wonders that give merchant points, may only run merchants, must settle all great merchants, except if they can make a corporation.

16. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Wow. Just found this and it's over before it began.

I'm curious as to what inspired such a long settler march to the spot you eventually chose to start the game. Strange as you lost extra turns and did not seem to be gaining much - don't know if you could have seen the fish until after you settled. Missed the west pigs AND the north pigs and gave you a host of ocean tiles that were not going to offer much... Even with Maoi (which would have taken a while to build) doesn't seem the best for a capital city...

The rest was about as bad as you could have had it. Boxed in quickly from an imperial JC with nice early prats. Admire your efforts to hold on - wonder if you could have given up a city in a peace deal and allowed Surry to carry on. After a re-org, and hopefully a bit of a build up it might have allowed you to re-enter the fray being hell-bent on pillaging iron and eles... I would have bagged it pretty quickly myself.

I think that's the first time I ever saw Surly-Man offer a gift tech like that. That was cool.

Hope you start this once more. I like the concept... Upon Edit - I see you started GREED III! Eye of the Tiger, Man!

Glad things are well family-wise.

17. madscientist

My thinking for moving the settler so far was to utilize all the food AND hills for three cities which would have fit nicely. The off-shore fish were a nice bonus. In retrospect I should have conservatively split the food between two cities, but my experience on emperor so far is no guts not glory. At least for myself, an early strong start is very important. Unfortunately old JC had other ideas.

One thing I can never do is gift a city for peace. Just something stubborn within myself on that. Still, trying that heroic defense effort was certainly fun, while it lasted.

Now onto Monarch GREED!!! Old Mansa deserves a proper RPC attempt, let's hope Musa III can live up to Al III!

@ Budweiser (by the way, my personal favorite login and signature on the forums!), I am not much of a fan of forcing a certain percentage on the slider, especially early on. However, we can certainly play up the GREED/MONEY angle for all it's worth.

18. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

@mad - I am a monarch player and have been playing my last few games with the slider set at 50%. You would be amazed at what that can do for you. For one thing, it allows you to afford more cities, which can then make more gold.

Anyway, I am now inspired to go play another cash game. Good luck on your next start.

19. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

As soon as you saw the jumbos, you should have built some spears. As in lots of spears...and then some more.

20. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

Wtf? Settlign to avoid corn + double pigs + clams? huh?