Role Play Challenge: John D Rockefeller, American Corporate Power

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
After an extended leave of absense I am glad to be back!

Welcome all to my next RPC, TNG; John D. Rockefeller, American Corporate Power!

The games are meant to be fun and educational with a unique slant on some leader outside the standard 52.

Here we have THE JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER! Capitalistic Genius, Benevolent Philantropist, Ruthless Businessman! He has seen the pathetic conditionson Wall Street and is quite upset, and my goodness The Stock MArket Giants of years past have been replaced by Geek driven machines. No wonder why people are demonstrating in the streets outside of Wall Street! So upset that he has come back from the grave (see my Avatar if you oubt it) to once again show the world how power is built through wealth!

Now Rockefeller is a shrewd businessman, wealth cannot be acquired with many enemies yet those enemies MUST be dealt with. So we have an assortment of rules to bring the American Capatalist extreme to power!

Settings:
2 Hemisphere Normal sized Map, epic speed
Unrestricted leaders and Rockefeller is the American leader having Financial and Industrious traits.
Emperor difficulty

Rules
1) Rockefeller must ALWAYS have a gold surplus each turn, thus the slider starts at 90%
2) Technologies we have a monopoly on CANNOT be traded until someone else discovers it.
3) Corporations. We must found as many as possible, especially Standard ethanol. State Property is forbidden.
4) We must have a monopoly on oil. Resources NOT in our lands must be continually destroyed via espionage.
5) Victory can only be found via Space, UN, or Culture.

And our CApitalistic leader

My how time travel has improved his image!

And the start

Well now, that is a grand start! I think being a good businessman with a sharp forsight, we need to move one over to settle on the river and get some future levees.

But a good business man always listens to members of the board (even though he may not listen).

Part 1: Return of the American Overlord
Part 2: Introducing other American Industrial Giants
Part 3: Gaining Control of the American Economy
Part 4: Isolated Expansion
PArt 5: Exploration

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    36.3 KB · Views: 165
Move that warrior S or E. Like the PH to settle. Pigs make a good 2. city site up river dont you think?

Is there coast to the south? I can't tell what's going on with that plains hill south of the cows, but it's either coast or a river.

Monster production site any way you go, but east or southeast both look really strong. Eager to see what Johnya Capackafeller can do with it. I think it screams out for the Pyramids and Rep-fueled Merchant madness, personally.

MAD IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooot. But I wonder who is faster. Mad or his shadow? ;)

That is such a great news! That last RPC was the first one I tried to follow and having the skills to kind of understand what you did...looking really forward to seeing you playing this one. Nice to have you back here.

Woot Mad is back! I like 1 SE to settle but you should move the warrior first, of course.

Great to have you back mad, like many others your RPC's were the main reason why i joined civfanatics! I think i will shadow this, Emperor is pretty easy for me these days (final last words right ;) )so the restraints should be fun! :)

John D Rockefeller: Return of the American Corporate Overlord

JD awoke from a long nap, “Seams like I have been asleep for over 6 months” he chuckles to himself. He looks around disappointedly though, his followers have drifted. They spend their time sharing resources, treating others equally with no concern for material possessions. Gone are the glory days of grand ambitions, elitist classes, and the ruthless pursuit of wealth.

JD climbs the nearest hill and addresses the people who listen to him as they have no leader. HE talks about acquiring great things, finding new lands, and leading Americans to greatness.

The warriors are sent to explore the eastern area

The Southeast hill would give the capital 2 enproductive tiles, unacceptable for old Rockefeller. The settler heads due east to ensnare the local cattle and establish the future potential of the massive mighty river.

American citizens begin researching animal husbandry, mining, and bronze working while a class of non-union workers are recruited in the capital to feed those better off.

Meanwhile the warriors break their backs meeting natives who give American a map and 54 gold, and find many great treasures

that they will never appreciate as they fell victim to hungry beast (er, animals folks, not Rockefellers). Nevertheless, Rockefeller screams with joy that there is GLD in them dar hills!

AS the American treasury flourishes with only 90% science produced, horses are discovered within the city limits. Even better a second group of warriors were sent exploring and discovered

The native group were thanked for their insight, invited to a grand feast with Rockefeller, and subsequently put to work in the local worker groups.

As American nears finishing it’s first settler to find new cities Rockefeller must contemplate the next direction of research

Pottery and writing for commerce and science?
Mysticism for some grand statues of JD Rockefeller?
Sailing and Masonry for a run at the Great Lighthouse if we settle on the coast? We are industrious.

A view of the land

Ah, where to send the next city? I am leaning a bit towards Philadelphia to the south.
Then there is the issue that we have NOT met any trade partners yet. Just what is a ruthless Corporate Overlord without suckers to out maneuver?

The Capital (which probably needs to be renamed) is pretty strong so far and I am thinking it’s a good productive powerhouse with farms and mines, no cottages.

So where does old JD go from here?

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller BC-2575.CivBeyondSwordSave
    69.8 KB · Views: 125
By god, double double gold but no food there. The money god is with you but the fertility god hates you :p

Capital however is just madness with the sheer production power already at size 4.

Where he has Boston can feed the double gold as soon as he gets farm up on riverside, lake givies him the freshwater bonus and can grab a lighthouse so settling on river basically makes him loses coastal site incase of GLH for a grass hill (gains a riverside that he loses by settling on one, the lakeside grass needs to be farm to feed gold compared to a lighthouse lake with coastal)

John D Rockefeller: Introducing other American Industrial Giants

JD has been busy this segment building his corporate empire. Mysticism was researched followed by the economic techs of sailing/Masonry/writing/pottery.

The capital was renamed “Rockefeller” being more appropriate than the name of the now defunct American leader of the first warrior troop. Amongst the peoples of America other great leaders emerged who may not have the complete abilities of the GREAT JD, are competent and shrewd business themselves.

To reward these outstanding individuals (and subsequently prevent their interference in his own business) each was allowed to lead the new cities. The first American settler was sent toward the coast, near the gold in order to prep for the Great Lighthouse.

As you can see “Vanderbilt” is already growing and bringing in wealth to America.

And in addition to al the gold, American warriors have discovered loads of silver to the far north.

And while silver will make America happy, there does not appear to be enough food to fully exploit the wealth there, at least this early in the game. Still it would amount to strong trade fodder, if only America had any neighbors.

Further exploration to the south shows some really good lands that can feed the other 2 gold resources.

The City of Rockefeller essentially built chariots, a worker, and a settler which was sent under the care of Carnegie

At this point JD contemplates the next technology to research. Iron Working seams particularly useful probably followed by Math/Currency/Code of Laws.

Our continent looks decent if a bit odd

While JD prefers to settle quickly, the need for a positive gold output may limit us until we have Currency and/or the Great Lighthouse.

A view at the cities

Rockefeller should be able to run a pair of scientists soon and Vanderbilt can begin work on the Great Lighthouse.

And the ever important American treasury

I think a galley is in order to explore the seas and see if JD is in fact isolated.

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller BC-1475.CivBeyondSwordSave
    108 KB · Views: 141
Hehe SE of the clam is just wonderfull. Clam and 3 lake tiles are enough to feed that city and work the double gold. NICE. Rockefeller is a happy guy I guess, but as I said the fertility god hates you. I see desert, I see tundra, I see a lot of water but very little food. Hamburgers on the other hand I see enough. Is that the american way? :D

... Hamburgers on the other hand I see enough. Is that the american way? :D

Yep!
5 Cow for the Hamburger meat and dairy for the cheese & milkshakes!
2 Wheat for the buns!
Note both are in the Capitol too.
It looks like a Hamburger start to me. :)

Even Fish for the Filet-o-Fish sandwiches!

If Civ had a potato resource, we'd have Fries with that!
I've seen it in some of the mods too.

Silver for the Quarters and Dimes. Good resourse start. Sucks to be so isolated though.
Need to get TGL for more gold now and more trades later.

Dear JD,

How can a true capitalist want to know where iron is before learning the value of currency? It seem sacreligious, no?
Sincerely

M. Red Shield

PS...Ah I see, you have no copper.

Copper? Mere pennies! We've got Gold and Silver!
A true capitalist knows where to invest his money to make the biggest profit.
If, we want it for the Collossus, then, we'll buy or trade for it later.

Top Bottom