Rome Total War

I agree, if we have RoN forum, we'll need an R:TW forum

I doubt that RTW will have a long lasting value. RoN is not my kind of game, I think RTW is much better, but RTW has not have much in common with the "Civ Heritage". But well, most Civ-players are interested in this time and many like the game, too.

But let us face it: There are already thriving forums for RTW, and opening up a RTW Forum here would be not only off-topic but superfluous.

I agree, RTW has less replay value than civ 3 because it always takes place on the same map. I wish you can randomly generate a map to play on but I guess you need to wait for mods. Soon I'll get tired of it (hopefully very soon because my school work is suffering), and it will just be another bump in the strategy game genre. If you think about it, total war has done nothing "revolutionary" other than a better graphic engine that allow you to play huge battles.

I'm not sure what to say about R:TW not having high replay value or living up to the "civ heritage". But I haven't tired of it despite putting in many hours. I will admit that with M:TW I played for about a week and a half before discarding and not playing again until several months later.

I bought Civ3 the day it came out and have been playing it on and off now since. I haven't tired of this game and I hope that with R:TW it will be the same.

general_kill said:
If you think about it, total war has done nothing "revolutionary" other than a better graphic engine that allow you to play huge battles.

And mixing TBS with RTS successfully and to allow the game to still be playable even by avoiding one element of the game by automatically resolving battles or playing single battles. But really how many revolutionary games are there? Most are just good games that came around at the right time and changed the look of a particular genre whilst gaining a reasonable amount of popularity.

This is the best game I've ever played! Only problem is diplomacy, the senate is just plain stupid - Declared war on all Roman families, even me (Their darling) and no one wanna have peace with me, or even ceasefire, even though Im the strongest faction.

Instead of a forum soley for Rome:Total War, how about one for all Total War games?

general_kill said:
I agree, RTW has less replay value than civ 3 because it always takes place on the same map.

I dunno about that. You only get to pick from 3 roman factions at the beginning, if you want to play as anyone else, you have to beat them in the campaign. So there's some replay value.

And I'm loving this game at the moment. Conquered Gaul, bribed a germanic city from them, now eyeing up spain. Shouldn't be too hard as my faction leader has a 10 in command. :D

The biggest battle I've had so far involved 2 of my armies at about 400 - 500 each, attacked by a Gaul army with 1700 men. It was a massacre as I killed them all (literally) and took hardly any losses. :devil2:

I got it yesterday. I feel like taking a week off work!

It's amazing. It makes Civ3 look pathetic!

Just a few questions...

1. Can Captains get promoted to Generals? If I don't have a General in a city or field army, and a Captain assumes the lead, can he become General after a few battles?

2. What's the turn limit for the game? I read on totalwar.org that it's something like 6AD.

3. If you beat the Senate and take Rome and the other factions, do you become emperor?

Bugs:

Cavalry are too cheap. Needs to be fixed.

AI needs to be looked at. Can they show more determination and tactics?

Should your family be having more babies? In a period of about 25 years, my family had about 5 babies from four marriages! That's a bit low.

Oh, one other thing...

Is 20 units per army the maximum (including the general)?

Is there anyway to bring in reinforcements to a battle?

1 - No, but rarely, a talented captain can be married into your family or adopted, and then becomes a general.

2 - 14 AD, but you can continue to play after that (it's like the 2050 AD for Civ3).

3 - You have to take Rome and 50 provinces to become emperor in the long game.

4 - AFAIK, 20 units is the maximum, yes, BUT in the preference.txt, there is a "unlimited men on battlefield" line, and I still don't know what happens when you put it to "true" ^^

I wanted to post some Screenshot of my City fighting in Rome, but hell, Anti-Aliasing was on and this always makes Black Screenies (a problem of my Ti4400 in many games).

I will give you some Radeon 9800 screenshots soon, the armor is more shiny with a Radeon. :)

HERE: An adopted Moorish family member defeating a large Roman Force of Principes, Triarii, Archers and Cav in a a ratio of 1:3.

As you can see on the two screenies, even light and early Cavalry is incredibly powerful, only the Triarii were a problem due to high morale even after the enemy Generals death and they are strong and sturdy fighters - their spear boni did not work IMO however...

and well, this was the end:

Sorry, no prettier screenies. As you cannot save replays in the campaign, I would have taken later some screenies without AA on. You will need an external solution like Hypersnap DX to capture with AA on.

Edit: Best Kill Ratio against Superweak Opponents was 300:1 so far on Hard/Hard. :)

I think the battles are a bit easy. In the above screenshot, you were outnumbered 3:1 and still kicked ass...that's a bit far-fetched for a pitched field battle.

I had results like that too.

if you could read, you would have read. :)

it was on hard / hard - but the AI does not get much smarter from medium to very hard. It has some serious flaws.

1.) Generals are hardly protected and die early, even if you do not go for them directly
-> especially low morale units are immediately running away

2.) Cavalry Charges are insanely powerful

3.) The AI waits patiently for you to encircle / flank it.

4.) Imagine what would have happened if I would have had 1 unit of war elephants.

Infantry vs Infantry battles are a bit more complicated, but still:

The battles are fast and dumbed down. There is no working counter unit for Cavalry except some Chariots (!) I did not see much in the Campaign so far.

With 44 provinces Micromanaging reminds me of Civ, more tedious than in MTW.

The battles in MTW also gave ridiculous results, but there were usually at least some survivors... and Cavalry was not faster than light.

But well, this game is 109% or something like that, so how can I complain about it? It is a VERY GOOD game, but I doubt it will catch my interest longer than Medieval: TW. The Medieval Period would have been much better suited for those Cavalry Monstrosities.

All my MTW battles had much more tactics involved than this, and the defending AI was a bit smarter in defending their hill and did not wait forever to be encircled.

The AI is also terribly bad at defending towns, you can win even if you are outnumbered by breaking the gate and just hitting CTRL+A and klick the unit behind it.

The more you play RTW, the more these flaws become obvious.

I also bought all armies of the Scipii, bought three complete stacks in the last three turns for some 3000 Gold maximum each...

Top Bottom