Rome

On another topic besides my endless axe to grind re:Rome's UA, it's kinda poopy that the Legion's unique promotion is lost on upgrade. While it's nice that they retain their cover promotions, losing unique promotions is a lot less fun because they get to keep an interesting flavor into later eras. On the other hand, I understand that legions might simply be too powerful if they could keep their promotions, because allowing them to upgrade could mean high XP units with lots of defensive promotions, making them impossible to dislodge while causing too much damage.

Would reducing the pilum's damage to -5 be enough of a nerf that people would be okay with letting it stay on upgrade?

I can understand the need to keep certain unique promotions but pilum is one of those promotion I feel can be far too powerful. The ability to damage the garrison without taking any damage is ridiculous for melee units, especially when you can blockade the city. I feel like there's little counterplay against this later on when you can have Medic II promotions. Oh right, they also start with Cover I promotion so they will be a pain to deal with for certain as it is if you go for Cover II and Stalwart.

I can understand the need to keep certain unique promotions but pilum is one of those promotion I feel can be far too powerful. The ability to damage the garrison without taking any damage is ridiculous for melee units, especially when you can blockade the city. I feel like there's little counterplay against this later on when you can have Medic II promotions. Oh right, they also start with Cover I promotion so they will be a pain to deal with for certain as it is if you go for Cover II and Stalwart.
definitely. That’s why I asked if cutting the power of the promotion by half would be enough to let us keep it.

If it does only 5 damage per turn then it becomes much more manageable to counter or ignore a late-game unit with pilum. For instance, at 10 damage a garrisoned unit has to constantly heal or they will die very quickly, but at 5 damage they can heal 4x the damage incurred, and a city with a hospital neutralizes pilum’s damage completely

definitely. That’s why I asked if cutting the power of the promotion by half would be enough to let us keep it.

If it does only 5 damage per turn then it becomes much more manageable to counter or ignore a late-game unit with pilum. For instance, at 10 damage a garrisoned unit has to constantly heal or they will die very quickly, but at 5 damage they can heal 4x the damage incurred, and a city with a hospital neutralizes pilum’s damage completely

The difference I notice in later eras is that ranged units and siege units play a far greater role. Even if the garrisoned unit can heal the damage from the pilum, that doesn't mean the unit can last very long due to other units also attacking the city.

Humans have been selling their buildings to cities that are already lost. Rome UA only makes it that you can't entirely sell everything since you can only sell 1 building per turn

It occurs to me that to kill both birds with one stone, we could use a similar strategy as we use when donating units to City-States: if your city had less than 100% HP, then you can't raze any buildings in it.

Legion promotion for road and fort building should stay on upgrade, it's very useful all game

We can get on that just as soon as someone does the digging animations for all of the units in the melee line. Care to volunteer?
Do they really need an animation though? Can't they just construct without moving or would that break the immersion too much?

Hi there,

I am a newbie in VP can only finish 2-3 games in a year at most due to lack of time. I just started a new save with Rome on 28-3 patch. I conqured zulu capital whom had 4 tradition policies. I was expecting to capture tradition free building but they were not there. Do they considered as UNW? I guessed I missed that somewhere there is a change but couldn't find when. In this case for Rome to conqur a city is only give some more land? Is that it?

Tradition buildings work the same as the palace. They move to your new capital if you lose your original capital, and Rome can't capture palaces either.

Rome can capture anything except dummy buildings and capitalOnly buildings

How do I copy part of this Civ's UA? Is it LUA, SQL, or what I can't find in the sourcecode the Capture building on conquest part...

I'm playing Rome with the recent patch and saw this upon capturing the Iroquois capital. I'm assuming it's not intended? Do other people encounter this or is this one of those rare situations that's really hard to replicate?

Spoiler :

20190531162808_1.jpg

That’s a 4UC problem I think. It’s been happening since forever with multiple civs and we can’t really figure out why.

Last edited:
That’s a 4UC problem I think. It’s been happening since forever with multiple civs and we can’t really figure out why.

Have you checked the ID sequencing for buildingclasses and buildings? If the loops aren't 'whole' this can happen sometimes.

G

I am playing a game with 8 Oct version with 4UC. The AI Rome have choosen Tradition + Artisry with defender of faith reformation belief. This is completly the oppsite way that I expect how Rome should have play.:scan:

Just played 1.5 games with Rome on the 8-23 beta patch. Mild potential hiccup with their UA, when I captured Persian cities and inherited their pre-built courthouses, it didn't show in the building list. I'm not totally sure if the imperialism bonus to building production kicked in for those cities either. But they weren't occupied so they 'had' courthouses in some sense.

Quick question if this is intended behavior on the 12-20 beta with a few other modmods: Rome's UA applies to never-capturable buildings such as unique barracks, defensive buildings, etc. This would be fine, but it also applies to certain dummy buildings or otherwise 1-per-empire buildings. For example, upon capturing capitals, I keep the -10% poverty dummy building from Enginseer's World Congress Reformation. I assume this also works with other dummy buildings. Intended behavior or unavoidable side effect?

Check if IsDummy is set to 1 for those buildings. G made sure that Rome will not capture buildings specifically designated as dummies.

IsDummy is a special column unique to WhoWard and Gazebo's DLLs, which means that any vanilla mods that aren't specifically designed for VP that also use dummy buildings will not be compatible with Rome.

This isn't a great state of affairs, but it seems like my belly-aching alone won't convince anyone of this.

Top Bottom