1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RR12 - A perfect spy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by r_rolo1, Apr 17, 2011.

1. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Well, let's move the scout first and then decide. At least if we settle coastal remember the lake would end up having an extra food as well. So even with a crab/clam long term we'd have 4 food more, which likely should far outweigh the lost commerce from one gold. But maybe there won't even be any sea food around. ;)

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I guess that the next pic will give us more issue for discussion :D :
    Spoiler :
    Ok, no seafood but corn and wheat to the east.

Sudently settling 1 NE or 1 E looks quite apealing, dare I say :D

3. nocho

nocho Chieftain

What's the appeal exactly? Losing a gold or having a resource with 1 less food than pigs at the cost of losing a turn on settling to top it off? :mischief:

SIP looks good enough to me!

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

I would have actually moved the scout to the other gold hill to reveal more coast.

1NE - no way!

I'd either SIP or settle 1E... I'm leaning towards SIP as we aren't really showing much in the way of production. Only thing 1E buys us is 1F at the expense of a lot of commerce and more production

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Not following your logic, nocho :D SIP is probably the worst spot in the area :p Mountain pigs are not good as a food source and I would definitely trade one of those for a wheat or a corn tile ,even if a plains one ( even if AH is a expensive tech to get compared with Agri ).

Even 1N is better than SIP: loses one non-lighthouse coastal tile and gets a river.

Edit: Did I said 1 NE ? :hammer2: My idea was to say 1N or 1E ... one 1NE is actually terrible, I agree :p

6. lymond

??? Mountain Pigs is a food resource and better than dry wheat. I think SIP is not bad at all.

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

It might be, but the cost of AH vs Agri, that we will need anyway for the corn, makes it a loser in the short run.

8. lymond

actually, not sure i even see the argument here since the 3 proposed sites still have the pigs.

Hill pigs are actually an excellent tile to mine early if you want to delay AH. With Hunting though and no need for fishing, AG>AH might be a nice start anyway. Or Ag>MIN>AH.

I forget Zara's starting techs. Obviously Hunting is one.

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Mining/Hunting ;) So we can mine the pigs ( a pig mine ... Homer Simpson would aprove :p ). So , let me see ... you are proposing something like

Settle in place

Ag->AH->BW ( or BW->AH ? )

?

10. nocho

nocho Chieftain

1E loses a high commerce tile, 1N loses a hill, a forest and a turn. Don't see either as obviously stronger than SIP... Ok, river may be nice so can live with 1N but 1E to me looks clearly worse than SIP. But please enlighten me! :p

Are we going to oracle CS? :D

11. lymond

Oh good, Zara starts with mining. So AG>AH or AG>BW>AH is the way to go. BW vs. AH really depends on what else we see after settling, but I'm inclined to go BW first since we have wet corn.

Yeah, no point in settling on gold now with no seafood.

My vote is SIP

12. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

Since we are Pangaea having a coastal capitol isn't important, so that won't be part of the debate. One less reason for 1 E.

I agree 1 NE sucks big time. It will be ages before that wheat generates a lot of food.

I don't see enough appeal to 1E or 1N to justify a wasted turn. I vote settle in place.

13. Thrar

Thrar Chieftain

Plains wheat is 4F 1H until CS irrigation, while the pigs are 5F 1H. The wheat will be nice for a later city towards the NE, but I don't think it's worth it for the capital.

Settling 1N gives us more river tiles and 3 more unforested tiles up N/NW that might reveal something, while losing those two unproductive coast tiles. It is also closer to our neighbors (as Rolo pointed out, we seem to be far south) and we can backfill the south later. With its 2 food sources, 2 gold hills and plenty of river grassland it looks like a wonderful bureaucracy cottage capital to me. Production is low, but the two gold hills give a combined 6H which are fine early, and later more hills would just mean less cottages.
    1N is my vote.

Regarding techs, I'd say AG-AH unless we find a prime settling location in the meantime and want to chop a settler ASAP.

Unfortunately I cannot see your images, had to use the save to reproduce your move. It's probably on my end, I'm in China and the GFW (Great Firewall) for some reason blocks Imageshack - is that where you're putting them by any chance? Photobucket and CFC uploads are fine though, and as long as there are saves near important decision points it won't be a problem.

14. lymond

yep, rolo is using imageshack. (you can see this if you use the quote button)

I use imageshack as well, although I might try out this new site called "imgur".

15. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

Just had another thought - there is a good chance the grassland has a resource. One stray grassland makes we wonder we have something hiding there.

16. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

lurker

hehe nice starting position you have there. I think each of the 3 variants (sip, 1N, 1E) has pretty big disadvantages.

With the lake around i would in your place think about making the city coastal for LH (5 yield tile then).

1N loses the GH and gold is not good production.

I am not sure with diff you play right now, but you could think about moving settler 1NW (or generally think about scouting more before settling), next turn scout more in the east-north-east and still go back to SIP.

to the south it seems like tundra anyway.

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, thar, I'll try to use other service ( my photobucket free account is full, my CFC is full too, so neither are options ). Can you suggest me other service that has no issues with the chinese authorities ?

Ok, i consider myself beaten in this, since it looks that more than half of the team wants SIP. Will try to play today ( or tomorrow, since tomorrow is a holiday in here )

18. lymond

imageshack.com

imgur.com

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I'm using Imageshack atm, lymond :D Apparently , that is the issue :p

Will give a look to imgur, though. It is not the first time I've seen it around ...

20. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Well, this is not a game of beating your fellow team members, less so beating the king. ;)

I'm still curious to know why you find SIP the "worst" place on the map and why it would be so awful to research AH. What is your own preferred spot and why? You may not have followed my logic as you said, but frankly I'm puzzled by yours! So really, I'd appreciate to learn about your reasoning. As said before, I can see reasons for 1N so SIP isn't set in stone for me either.