rts

I don't like RTS either, but as Tim Train remarked:

For those who prefer close management of every aspect of their game, there's also a mode called "free pause", where players can give orders even while paused. I've watched people play in this mode almost like they were in a turn-based game--they give orders to everyone, unpause for a few seconds, pause again, give new orders, etc. It's not necessarily how I'd want to play, but we try to provide as many options as we can imagine so people can customize the game to their heart's content.

So I will be buying the game.

in rts there is reality, all armies move... and not by squers... but by real moving...
in tbg (turn based games)(don't know the real word...) there is the elemnt of rulling for real, and not only the army... but the civilians and diplomatics too...

so as I understanded Ris-of Nations, going to take the best from both and plant it into 1 BIG great game, and that's btw why it takes so much time to creat it, prefection takes time...

Rise of Nations looks like a great game

I can't wait untill more information is realeased on the game

And the demo......... :cool:

RTS?

Yuck! :p

Originally posted by smalltalk
I guess, I will give it a try, before judging.

Thats the Spirit :). Try a Demo ( if they releace a Demo version ), or borrow the game from a freind, or try other RTS games that are out in the market :).

I think I will buy it, just because it's a Brian Reynolds game. A game by the designer of Civ2 and Alpha Centauri can't be bad. ;)

Originally posted by Thunderfall
I think I will buy it, just because it's a Brian Reynolds game. A game by the designer of Civ2 and Alpha Centauri can't be bad. ;)

Yeah, somehow I have gotten a strange impulse to buy RoN, not because of the Graphics and such. But as TF said, its a Brian Reynold's game. :)

I am sure RTS is going to be a problem. Example: Europa Universalis (1,2). It is RTS, but you actually pause alot, and I dont think it is less fun than any TBS.

Originally posted by Thunderfall

Be careful young man! That's what I said before Civ3 came out. A game by Sid Meier can't be bad. You know the rest.........

Look what happened with Moo3 :lol: What a joke that was!

I have learned to be 1000x more skeptical of a new game with a famous name attached to it. Past reputation has been used to make a quick buck. Be careful. Buyer beware. :crazyeye:

Yes, I’ve read some very disappointing reviews of Civ3 and MoO3, and attaching a “big name” to a game is no guarantee of quality.

Following Rise of Nation’s development over the past year, I’m confident in saying Brian Reynolds and several close friends from his Firaxis days have all dirtied their hands with the game’s innards. Here’s what Brian told Firing Squad in an interview last month:
When it comes down to the rules of the game, that code is mostly implemented by me. To a certain extent I can keep my eye on everything. Somebody else can be doing the artificial intelligence, someone else can do the historical research for what kind of unit it is, somebody can be playing the game and giving me reports on balance or what have you. But, in the end, it’s me doing the code and me and Doug (Brian’s longtime colleague Doug Kaufman) keeping an eye on the rules. Ultimately all rules changes go through me, so there is a single hand keeping track of what’s going on everywhere.
I’d also highly recommend Tim Train’s GameSpy Developer Diary as well. Of course, gamers may not like what Brian and company have created, but they created it and didn't just lend their names to the project.

A demo is in the works and should be available "about the time the game ships."

That's definately encouraging news Rohag!

It's good to know that one person is getting his hands dirty overseeing the development of RoN. Perhaps I am wrong about giving RoN a skeptical preview. I'm sure BHG realizes that they cannot afford to bomb with their first game. We will all know very soon.

In the interests of full disclosure, I’ve seen less-than-enthusiastic comments about RoN from some folks with Preview Betas at RoN Heaven and RoN Pantheon. In almost every case, however, the people making those comments are accomplished, competitive Age of Whatever or Empire Earth players who seem a bit disappointed RoN is not Age3 or EE2. Solver of the Apolyton Civ Site recently published his review of Preview Beta 2 and was suitably impressed.

There is always the Pause button, and RTS are also a thinkers game, although this time, it's about thinking fast aswell ;) (And learn how to work under pressure :p)

Hmm, I have not even gotten a chance to play it due because of some Tech problem I am having See separate thread

Originally posted by Grey Fox
There is always the Pause button, and RTS are also a thinkers game, although this time, it's about thinking fast aswell ;) (And learn how to work under pressure :p)
Exactly! I love TBS, and especially the Civ series with all my heart, but it just isn't as challenging, you don't need to think fast and come up with strategies fast during the game, you can just lay back and plan everything ahead, and that is why the "non-cheating" AI :))) is so easy to beat. While in an RTS game, especially one such as RoN, you get much more excitment, and the game doesn't (necessarily) last as long either, it also requires quick wits, in addition to the large amount of strategy (even though the strategy in TBS games is on a much larger scale, RoN still provides much more of it than usual RTS games).

I'm not being blasphmous against Civ though, so please don't get me wrong, I'll still be playing Civ as much as I do RoN. ;)

Well this TBS'er broke down and bought RoN and I have only one thing to say about it. RoN rules!

I'm not that big into clickfest RTS games but RoN is not a clickfest. Get it, it's good! :)

I have set the speed to Slow and have found the game very fun so far. I have liked RTS and TBS games for a long time but have slowly lost the liking for the RTS games as they just became clickfests <- and I am now getting old. :)

Top Bottom