RtW: Add-On Pack 2 Release!

Thank you, Dale. Your efforts are appreciated very much. :thanx:

Are you going to fix the artillery thing? I was playing Germany and I got conquered by Poland :( Their artillery is too strong, they wiped my army out :(
It makes for a very Large POLAND a quick end to the War and the Polish did start the War. :) Poland, Poland uber alles! :crazyeye: :king: boxNJ

Dale, are you going to make artillery a little bit weaker? I've noticed that all one really has to do is stack a bunch of artillery and dare someone to attack. You would need a huge airforce to do it. All that person has to do is build some anti air guns and some fighters, no one will ever get through. Artillery is so powerful :(

America is a much better ally in this game. They were actually make a lot of amphibious assaults and sent a lot of troops. Even Canada tried. This was all in mid 1942. In the first mod before this one, they did nothing. THEY WOULD NOT HELP ME!

GREAT MOD! Wow, this is so much better than the vanilla or AO1 it is amazing!

I did not look in the Addon About but it looked like artillery and infantry can get "breakthrough" movement when an attack in their hex or an adjacent hex succeeds?

AWESOME!

Perhaps artillery should just be much more expensive, if another fix to balance them is not in the works? In basic terms, wasn't it a lot more expensive and time-consuming to create the big guns, supply them, protect them, and train people how to use them, than it was to draft infantrymen, give them rifles/ammo, and train them how to use those?

I've been previously critical of the artillery strength but I think I owe Dale an apology on that score. It seems most folks are playing the 1936 scenario and I myself have tended to play the 1938 one. In those scens the AI usually has plenty of time to build up its forces and given the generally poor strength of infantry artillery is the AI's unit of choice. However in the last week I've made a few starts on the 1939 scenario. Here everyone has to go with what the have at the start and the flow of the early stages of the war seems to be much more like that expected. So far I've only been able to get up to early 1941 because the scen is a bit much for my notebook and the save game problem means I can't resume. Still it does seem to indicate that Dale has chosen to set up the units etc to provide the best balance for the 1939 scenario. With such a difference between the various scenarios Dale has provided he is only really going to be able to find a sweet spot for one or two of them. Give the 1939 scens a go people.

Dan

I would second that Danrh. I'm playing the 1939 and arty seems about right. One solution would be a Tech that you have to research in the 1936 scenario which you cannot possibly get before about mid-to-late 1936 which reduces the cost of building artillery substantially, but which is a gimme tech in the 1939 scenario.

I keep getting CTDs with the attached .sav

Hit the red button to finish turn, and poof, CTD and the "Windows detected errors, would you like to send a note to Windows . . ." message window.

I turned down the graphics settings to Low and it is still happening.

My rig runs Civ4 fine, though huge maps with lots of stuff have caused intermittent crashes in the past. I can send my Dxdiag or whatever if that will help.

Attachments

• Chancellor Hitler AD-1939-December-Fortnight 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    717 KB · Views: 80
1939 is the scenario I play. I was playing as the Germans and Poland was beating me so bad, I wanted to beg them for mercy. Their artillery cut my defenses down to bits. Along with my tank attacks on the maginot line :( Artillery needs to be scaled down a bit.

1939 is the scenario I play. I was playing as the Germans and Poland was beating me so bad, I wanted to beg them for mercy. Their artillery cut my defenses down to bits. Along with my tank attacks on the maginot line :( Artillery needs to be scaled down a bit.

Are you playing historical or are you playing free form. Given that there are only 4 turns from 1939 scen start to the invasion of Poland I don't understand how you can be facing huge numbers of Polish arty, they don't seem to start out with them.

Dan

1939 is the scenario I play. <SNIP> Along with my tank attacks on the maginot line :( ...

George Santayana said "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." OK so you didn't repeat it. You did exactly what all the best military minds in the Wehrmacht knew was stupid, and you want to use that as a reason to change the artillery in the mod? :lol:

The more I play, the more I realize that the artillery strength is tightly interwoven to all the other units. If arty is weakened a lot, then air units would be out of balance (in my games I use air power mostly to take out arty stacks).

"Fixing" this is not as simple as just making arty weaker. Its a re-balancing of everything.

Here are some of my ideas around weakening arty:

Change the values to make arty much weaker, but with a big bonus for reducing defensive entrenchment. This would make arty much less capable of individual attack or defense like Civ III style cannons.

Given their power in the current game they are too cheap to build. Or place a limit on the number of arty units available at 1 time. Or create an expensive arty factory.

The real wartime limitation on use of artillery was ammunition shortages. Massive bombardments needed weeks or months to stockpile ammo. Maybe allow arty to only have support fire every other turn (or less).

Only give anti-tank arty the bonus vs armour. A 155mm howitzer shouldn't really have a bonus against a tank.

Have a commando unit that can sniper the weakest unit from a stack. That way after aerial bombardment, you can snipe the arty out of the stack. Or these units could make arty "go to sleep" for some number of turns to model interfering with supply lines. Russian, Greek, Finnish and Solvakian partisans would be interesting national units of this type.

On this scale map, heavy arty should not have range 2, they should just start with better bonuses for taking out cities and extra collateral damage. It would also be interesting to make the heavier arty actually weaker for open combat (use bigger factors to get city walls down faster).

Even with all this, its an awesome mod!!

Are you playing historical or are you playing free form. Given that there are only 4 turns from 1939 scen start to the invasion of Poland I don't understand how you can be facing huge numbers of Polish arty, they don't seem to start out with them.

Dan

Alright quoting ones self is bad but it seems I should not not have been making any of my last few replies because I was not even really talking about AO2. I have made my own adjustments to RtW (expanded tanks, airborne tanks, arty, amphibious tanks along with a few strength adjustments) and when I copied these changes over from AO1 to AO2 I missed a couple of things, namely the additional civs. That's been mucking up things quite a bit it turns out. For some reason when I start a scenario half the units don't seem to load up for initial conditions. For example if I start the 1939 scen in standard AO2 the germans have 80 infantry, along with tanks, artillery and tank destroyers. At sea they have 14 cruisers, 6 destroyers and 10 subs. If I load up the RtW mod theres only 50 infantry, no arty, no tanks, no TD's and at sea I've only got 5 crusiers and 4 subs. Dunno whats going on (well I know why the tanks are missing since I've replaced the classes entirely but the other things are unchanged) but as you'd expect it really effects the game play with start conditions changed so much I was pretty much talking crap when replying to DoubleRD77's posts :blush:

Incidently have made sure I've updated all the file to AO2 standard I still get the same behaviour as above when I load the scenario normally but if I load from the wbsave file everything is there.

That out of the way, DoubleRD77 with the forces at you disposal, used in a concerted manner Poland is still pretty easily overwhelmed

Dan

ps if anyone is interested in trying having a play with my changes I'd welcome the feedback.

ps if anyone is interested in trying having a play with my changes I'd welcome the feedback.

I wouldn't mind :)

Only Gort can melt artillery known to you as (arty) Therefore the country that has Gort shall win! :nuke::salute: :king: boxNJ

anyone willing to help-
I am not very good with computers and cannot install the patch correctly.
i have two current problems.
1.I dont understand how to "unzip" the patch
2.do I delete the rtw folder and all contents or only the folder?
any answer will be much apprciated

I will do this backwards!

2) Remove the old RTW folder before extracting (don't delete incase it goes wrong) and put the new one in it's place

1) To put the new one in it's place, rIght click the folder (this for xp, not to sure with Vista) and click extract all, then you are given an option as to where you want the files, extract it in where the orginal RTW folder was.

Then play! :)

I will do this backwards!

2) Remove the old RTW folder before extracting (don't delete incase it goes wrong) and put the new one in it's place

1) To put the new one in it's place, rIght click the folder (this for xp, not to sure with Vista) and click extract all, then you are given an option as to where you want the files, extract it in where the orginal RTW folder was.

Then play! :)

thank u but i cant locate the old rtw folder anymore where should i look?

Normally it's in "my computer", then the drive you installed it on (usally C drive) then program files, then Fixarise (spelt wrong) games then Sids Meiers Civilzation 4 then "Beyond the Sword then "mods" and it should be there, if not, then just extract the new RTW folder straight into it and it should work :)

again to anyone willing to help-
i think i have AOP2 installed in the correct folder, but when i start up civilization there is no rtw sceniario(new or old). if anyone can give information it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom