Rubrum's GURPS - United Humanity Long Distance Exploration

Gregory took note of the equipment before changing into a crew uniform. It was far, far more comfortable than the ridiculous 'wet-suit' get-up. He grabbed a belt pouch and returned to the equipment. He gave a quick examination of the PDW before setting it down.

"I agree with the Canuck - we need to get to the control room. I'll accompany him."

"I quite agree. We've got to get to the control room... but we also can't leave Dr. Dankevych. Give me the civ suit and I'll see what I can do about him while you're at it." Laszlo shrugs.

"Might give us some idea of what the hell happened to the ship, too."

Nozomi fiddles with the helmet. "I'll be willing to accompany someone to head to the control room".

"Alright, you two get the ship up and running, I'll stay with the doc.

If you're going to be opening that door though, I'm thinking I might want to be in the other room, holding onto something."

Alex responds to Martin "Dr. Dankevych isn't going anywhere stuck inside that stasis chamber, if he's still alive at all (RIP), and is probably safer inside the pod when we briefly open this door just long enough for two of us to get out. Which I'll need the vac suit for."

"Alright then, we're sorted. Give me and the doc time to ready ourselves for your opening the door."

[Go to starting room and look for something to brace Gregory down with]

GM UPDATE POST

Gregory crawled back into the life chambers room. Not much had changed there. The opened life chambers lay still, their little control panels shining slightly,the battered chest was next to the bent wall and still contained its stuff.

Spoiler :
I don't think I have anything to add at this point. There needs to be clearer team concensus decisions or posts about who takes what with them, how you guys deal with opening a door into the vaccuum, which door is opened (because "maybe we should do this?" isn't really a decisive plan is it :p), etc.

Spoiler :
[OOC] Okay, I'm suggesting that we shift the equipment into the starting room, barricade up the hole as best as we can and myself and Duke will get into a couple of stasis pods (I'm assuming they're bolted down). Scamp and CG will open the door in the cargo room and get out, closing it behind them. Plan to get ship up and running proceeds from there.

Agreed? Any modifications?

Spoiler :
OOC: No argument here

Gregory paused a moment, looking over the equipment in the stasis pod chamber. He seemed to be considering his options, before turning to the group.

"Right. The doc and I will seal ourselves in here as best we can. You two," he pointed at Fraser and Valentine, "will get out as quickly as possible. Get to the command room, restore environmental and communication systems, then we can work out what the hell happened."

[Begin plan as described in my post above]

GM UPDATE POST

Spoiler :
Good enough I'm working with that

Nozomi was already finished donning the reflex armor vacc suit with the HUD visor clicking shut when Gregory finished explaining the plan. Nobody had any better idea, so it would have to do. The team took half an hour to bring a lot of stuff from the cargo closet into the Life Chamber section, expecting a violent vacuum invasion. Alexander climbed into the civilian vacc suit while Laszlo was preparing the Life Chambers to act as pods in empty space, trying to make sure appropriate pressure and air flow would be maintained for a sufficient amount of time to allow for Nozomi and Alexander to figure out what was going on. The last step was to try to plug up the bent wall in the hope that it would help reduce the shock. This was done using the chest and a combination of random towels, blankets (full of bile :p) and clothes and whatnot.

Eventually, Laszlo announced that the chambers were ready and invited the team to proceed with its plan... He closed the Life Chamber on Sergent Gregory, punched a few keys on the control panel, then went to his own, punched in a few keys too and slipped inside before the door closed automatically. Cool air was felt inside. Alexander and Nozomi were ready in the closet cargo, facing the door out of the area, proudly wearing their vacc suits... This was gonna be interesting.

Mechanics and rolls
Spoiler :

Laszlo: rolled An Electronics Operation (medical) check to see how well it would go with the Life Chambers preparation; roll result secret

Alex stands with Nozomi in now much emptier storage room and double checks his suit and the room, seeing the back of the equipment locker covering the hole with part of a towel jammed between it and the wall. He said to Nozomi "Here goes nothing" and he inputs the code to open the door and he and Nozomi rush out of before it closes shut again.

GM UPDATE POST

Alexander punched in the override codes but in his hurry didn't notice there were many options for opening the door; sudden opening or slow controlled vacuum zero-pressure equalizer. The door slid open suddenly and the shock was terrible. Not much was felt by the people in the pods except a slight decrease in pressure for a second in their environments. However, in the closet room, remaining soap bars and whatnot flew into the corridor and slammed against the wall. The "hit" was hard on the two crew!

Fraser flew out into the corridor but his cybernetic arm managed to grab onto the edge of the door until the door closed, he fell down on the floor of the vacuum corridor with no major problem. At the same time, Valentine, who was in the middle of the frame, had nothing to hang on to, however somehow she managed to "catfall" on the opposing corridor wall and gracefully tumbled down to her knees, using the nightstick to stand back up. The door was closed again... The fall to the floor at least confirmed that the artificial gravity generator was working well.

They found themselves in a very dark spaceship metallic corridor, a very faint light came from their right (towards most of the other rooms) but eyes had a hard time seeing yet (although Nozomi's night vision helped there). To their left was the factory, also in a vacuum. The door was opened, and it was frightfully dark inside.

Spoiler :
Alexander failed a Spacer roll (knowing general procedures and stuff about the ship) - first line of the update

Rolled DX with -1 but added a bonus for ambidexterity for both characters to see if they could have the reflex to hang on to something or not hurt themselves... Success

The suddenness and strength of the pull of the vacuum literally knocked Fraser off his feet and he was barely able to stop himself flying into the wall on the other side of the hallway by grabbing onto the door frame. He let go before the door shut again and managed to stabilize himself in vacuum of the hallway, spare objects bouncing around in the vacuum
Spoiler :
(is it zero gravity? Can you even have gravity in a vacuum?)

Fraser turned to face Nozomi to make sure she was still alright.

Top Bottom