Rugby League Season 2009

I don't really think anyone will be that interested in this thread. But for what it is worth, yay for the Rabbits. It seems Manly have gotten off to a woeful start this year. I guess it's probably all the scandal surrounding the club. Here's the table so far for those interested (x. Team Name (Points)):
  1. Bulldogs (14)
  2. Dragons (12)
  3. Broncos (12)
  4. Knights (12)
  5. Titans (12)
  6. Storm (11)
  7. Rabbitohs (10)
  8. Panthers (10)
  9. Tigers (10)
  10. Warriors (9)
  11. Cowboys (8)
  12. Eels (8)
  13. Sea Eagles (6)
  14. Raiders (6)
  15. Roosters (6)
  16. Sharks (4)

UPDATED AFTER ROUND 9, (14/5/09)

Cronulla are doing surprisingly badly, with the Sea Eagles still down in the dumps. It's a shame the Bulldogs are doing so well.

Im a Leeds Rhinos supporter living in Northern Ireland. Go Rhinos!!!!:king: In the NRL i like the Roosters.
what do use think of the two referee system so far? it does seem to speed the game up a bit. I think it should be used in super league in a couple of years, as the play the ball seems to be getting slower here now as it goes the other way down under.

The broncos and titans seem to be the only consistent sides in the early stages, though i fear if the titans lose prince for a sustained period then they will struggle to put points up to stay at the top. The Knights have also impressed me they look like they could make an impact in the finals.

btw what are the NSW selectors doing? no hindmarsh, orford? i like the idea of a younger squad who will be hungry for sucess etc...... i no its only preliminary but they need some experience and steel in there or theyll just be cannonfodder

p.s why has orford never played for NSW?

Well, Orford could never get into the NSW side at his position of halfback before becuase that belonged to Andrew Johns. And now that they're trying to find new blood, he's been skipped over.

I think the quest for new blood comes from the fact that Queensland have won the last 3 series. Obviously the old team isn't working, so this transition to younger guys is designed to create a new dynamic. Unfortunately, the selectors seem to have gone for the nothing part of all-or-nothing. Meaning some great players have been skipped over, like Hindmarsh and Orford (who is caught to old player age without the experience). However, I don't know why Anasta is complaining. IMO, he isn't that good.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast have managed to hang on to a few wins but there's virtually no seperation between them and the rest of the pack. The Dragons are also up there with them as Wayne Bennett has accomplished/is accomplishing an amazing turnaround since last year. And Jamie Soward is awesome form, completely carving up the Roosters yesterday. The Knights I think will finish in on the edge or just outside of the top 8.

Hey ulsterman88, you might be able to help me. I'm a Kiwi who is now living in Belfast - in dire need of watching something other that Football.

Do you know if Sky Sport over here will show the Kiwi vs Australia Anzac test?

Hey ulsterman88, you might be able to help me. I'm a Kiwi who is now living in Belfast - in dire need of watching something other that Football.

Do you know if Sky Sport over here will show the Kiwi vs Australia Anzac test?

they are showing the ANZAC test but its on setanta sports 1 (10.30 am) so youll need a subscription, heres a useful page, from RLfans forum its a list of all live/delayed/repeated rugby league games/programs on british/irish tv.

http://wigan.rlfans.com/fusion_pages/index.php?page_id=28

Legend! I completely forgot about Setanta. Pub down the road has that, so will ask them to put it on.

Thanks for the link too, will come in very handy.

EDIT: Although I'd better check what time the pub opens on Fridays.

Legend! I completely forgot about Setanta. Pub down the road has that, so will ask them to put it on.

Thanks for the link too, will come in very handy.

EDIT: Although I'd better check what time the pub opens on Fridays.

:goodjob: dont forget challenge cup on bbc on this saturday and sunday. st helens against catalans should be a cracker.

Spoiler :
poor kiwis. i think if they had of got a try in that series of back-2-back sets it might have been a different game. if luke had of played may have been a different game?

Well, pub opened at 11am, so still got to watch most of the slow train wreck in motion of the most of the match, Arrgh!

Yeah those back to back sets could've been the spark if a try was gained. Bit pissed off about Luke's suspension. I didn't see the incident he was done for, but apparently it was pretty minor.

We always get players suspended before a test. It's a conspiracy I tell you! Only joking. Sort of. ;)

I think if Luke played it would definitely have been different - since he would offer something in attack besides the Kiwis having to rely on Marshall for everything. Still New Zealand never go good in one off Tests anyway.

Regarding the suspension, besides the fact that is was a minor offense, I fail to see how a punishment carried out at NRL level can carry over to international football. The NRL has no jurisdiction over that, only the RLIF, and so surely at the least, a club game should be weighted differently to a Test match. In all honesty, what could the NRL do if the NZRL played him anyway?

Regarding the suspension, besides the fact that is was a minor offense, I fail to see how a punishment carried out at NRL level can carry over to international football. The NRL has no jurisdiction over that, only the RLIF, and so surely at the least, a club game should be weighted differently to a Test match. In all honesty, what could the NRL do if the NZRL played him anyway?

The main bodies of the game need to sort out the international scene, they have made a good start with regular RLWC and 4-nations now but they need to remove some of the inconsistency with international refeering. i think, ideally the game should have a central rule making authority which makes all comps have identical rules. Also, the 2 ref system should eventually become the standard and it will inevitably come into SL as the 10 metre rule and ruck are going in the wrong direction at the moment.

Great weekend of action this week, if only the roosters had of mustered some resistance to the knights though!

And NSW have lost State of Origin I. Not surprising, really. I just hope the third game isn't a dead rubber.
Queensland 28-12 NSW

OK so the regular season is over and the finals are starting! And the Dragons came 1st!

Tips:

Friday:

Melbourne (4th) Vs Manly (5th)

Saturday:

Gold Coast (3rd) Vs Brisbane (6th)

Canterbury (2nd) Vs Newcastle (7th)

Sunday:

St George (1st) Vs Parramatta (8th)

Almost forgot - for you yanks:

http://www.spike.com/blog/spike-tv-brings/86142

Spike TV Brings Rugby To America

Balls out! Rugby League is coming to America and Spike TV is going to be its new home. The network today announced that it would be bringing Australia's National Rugby League 2009 playoffs to the States.
The action starts Friday, September 11 at 11pm, so now's your chance to figure out the meaning of terms like dummy kick, ruck and scrum, and finally impress that hot(ish) Amazon chick that plays on the Rugby club who may or may not be in to three-ways.

The NRL is Australia's premier rugby league and routinely attracts 80,000 fans to its Grand Final (their Super Bowl), which will be broadcast on Spike October 4 at 11am ET/PT. This may be their version of football, but there are no pansy pads or stop and go bulls***. This is hurry-up the whole way through, so move over T.O. There's no crying in Rugby!

C'mon, mate, Get More Action.

The broadcast schedule is as follows:

Friday, September 11 (11:00pm ET/PT)
Friday, September 18 (11:00pm ET/PT)
Friday, September 25 (11:00pm ET/PT)

Grand Final (note - will air in the morning in the U.S.):
Sunday, October 4 (11:00am ET/PT)

And you can catch the finals on ESPN in the UK.

PS Get on the red and white bandwagon!

I must say, this has been the season that has finally convinced me that Rugby Union and AFL are much better sports.

Top Bottom