Rulers of Russia Mod

Sadistik said:
Watch. here comes "That was a fluke! Stalin won twice. More decisive" ;)

:D :goodjob: Yeah, he did win twice. But his first "title", as well as Hitler's one, was negative. Take a look:

Anyway, this thread is about the game we play, not about Stalin's "greatness". I'm in no way going to be his advocate.

Korpulu said:
...I' m curious about something. Is it possible to have each leader have a different UU? When I think of Lenin, the Red Guards come to mind. When Stalin, Guard units, Shock Armies, and Artillery, (God of war to Russians), comes to mind.

Yes!! I thought about UU for leaders. "Commissar" unit for Lenin, T-34 for Stalin, Topol-M for Putin :nuke: It would be great, but...i'm not sure, if it is possible. :confused:

BTW, there is a funny idea to play a game - six the same Russian civilizations with different leaders. It's available through Custom Game menu and looks like that :king:

I'd never honor a mass murderer.

NeverMind said:

Leif in 1942 Stalin was named "Man of the Year" (as a good person!) by Time Magazine. So, ...no "icks', please :D

In 1938 Adolph Hitler was named "Man of the Year" as a good person who helped avoid a war. In fact, they considered him as "Person of the Century" (but not as a "good" person) in 1999, but decided not to because they feared people being too upset. Being named by Time's "Man/Person of the Year" does not make one great, only that they contributed the most to the headlines that year. Nixon, Clinton, and Bush all won multiple times. Do they also need to be leaders in the game?

Hmm....well....Sarnum, i'm just happy that your first post at CFC is in this thread. :lol:

GeorgeOP said:
In 1938 Adolph Hitler was named "Man of the Year" as a good person who helped avoid a war...

Really? I'm not sure. It does not look like "a good person":

Back to the main point...

I think Great Leaders should be individuals who are considered "good" by their country of origin (culturally and historically) and widely believed to have benefited said country. For example, you would be extremely hard-pressed to find an American who would say that George Washington wasn't a "good" leader or didn't benefit America. This applies to 99% of the Vanilla Civ IV leaders. Notice that the Eygptian ruler is now Hatshepsut instead of Cleopatra. Why? Because whether or not Cleopatra was a good leader is debatable, but most historians and (I'm assuming) Egyptian culture consider Hatshepsut to be good. Also notice that Mao is a leader. Why? Because his power still reigns, and most people in China consider him to be a great leader and person. Most people in Russia, I hope, do NOT think Stalin was a good person and probably regret that sad, unfortunate era of their history--much in the same way most Americans regret leaders such as Hoover or Nixon. What American would want Hoover or Nixon as their country's Civ IV leader?!?

If you don't want Stalin in the game, there is no way you can justify having Mao or Genghis Khan either. Stalin killed untold millions of innocent people certainly. So did the others. Stalin however is an important historical figure. So if you have a 3rd or 4th Russian leader I think he is an acceptable choice. Just my opinion..

Reagarding Mao:

Chinese intellectuals elsewhere have similar feelings. In the West, the prevailing image of Mao is that of a megalomaniac -- evil on a par with modern despots such as Joseph Stalin. Australian academic Anita Chan suggests Mao is revered in China because people are ignorant of history. "Mao is still so popular just because there hasn't been enough academic discourse to do away with the effects of his personality cult," she says. "Chinese society in general has looked too much into his achievements during the civil war, but has tended to forget his disastrous policies after 1949."

In fact, Chan may be slightly off the mark. Interviews with academics, artists and workers in China suggest that, rather than forgetting Mao's deeds, many are overdosed on remembering. Actors who have reprised the suffering and ignominy of the Cultural Revolution invariably speak of their work as a catharsis. They say tears for the camera are often real. But 20 years on, the danger is the catharsis may slip into self-pity.

Good read actually: http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/96/0906/cs1.html

Well, guys, have you ever heard of Civ1, made not by me, but by Sid Meier (TM) and Microprose Company? Do you remember, who was the only Russian leader in that game? The answer is "Stalin" ;)

Felzor said:
...Most people in Russia, I hope, do NOT think Stalin was a good person and probably regret that sad, unfortunate era of their history...

Stalin was not a good person. He is responsible for many terrible things. It's obvious. BUT. Many people in Russia do respect Stalin just because he was the leader of the country in the most bloody war in the world history. He led Russia to the Victory in that real battle for survival. That's all.

Felzor said:
Back to the main point...

Yes! I believe the main point of the thread is a mod, that adds some russian leaders to the game :)

Thormodr said:
If you don't want Stalin in the game, there is no way you can justify having Mao or Genghis Khan either. http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/96/0906/cs1.html

BTW emperor Qin Shi (second Chinese laeder) is of the same stock. Mass killings, perseqution of learned men, harsh laws etc. Anyway you are starving cities and destroying nations in the game. It's a game, don't take it too seriously.

s3d said:
...Anyway you are starving cities and destroying nations in the game. It's a game, don't take it too seriously.

Quite reasonable! :salute:

New Version - 1.2! :cool:

Features
- 10 new russian leaders
- full scale unique AI for each new leader
- civilopedia articles
- "Russian Leaders Only" random-map game option
- 100 russian cities

Check posts 1-3 for more info, pics and files!

I think I may have a problem with Alexander the 3rd. I think the designers might have left out the combination of industrious and philosophical for a reason. The power of producing wonders for great person points combined with the powers of philosophical may well be way too powerful. I dunno though, just a thought.

-- John

All leaders seem quite nice. But not Yeltsin! Never, NeverMind!

Stalin and Ivan the Terrible, the most prominent butchers, are leading...Curious, isn't it?

NeverMind said:
Many people in Russia do respect Stalin just because he was the leader of the country in the most bloody war in the world history. He led Russia to the Victory in that real battle for survival. That's all.

Actually, I'd say the most bloody war in the world history was WWI.
Also, it wasn't Russia to win the war but the Allies.

I voted for Mikhail Gorbachev btw. He is IMO a much better choice than Putin for a modern leader. Putin is as much financial for his country as Berlusconi for his... if you get what I mean ;)

Pacifism seems a little strange for Alexander II, as he wasn't exactly very peaceful. OTOH, Emancipation would be very good for him, IMHO, as he's the one responsible for the abolition of serfdom in Russia. He's called "the Liberator" (Tsar-Osvoboditel) for a reason.

onedreamer said:

Err yes the "Allies" did win the war, Russia being one of said "Allies" and when you consider that roughly 80% of German casualties were sustained on the eastern front, including most of their best formations and the German forces were already in retreat before the D-Day landings I would certainly give more credit to Russia than any other nation.

But that aside, it seems this is shaping up to include some really good leaders, that all russian random game is going to be a beauty for this Russophile. I dont think, all any version of the game that I have played any other civ except Russia. Keep up the good work.:goodjob:

onedreamer said:
Actually, I'd say the most bloody war in the world history was WWI.

And you would be wrong on both counts.

Here is a picture that should explain a few things:
Wars, Massacres and Atrocities of the Twentieth Century
Year-by-Year Death Toll:

.. how did you get these puictures in? I'm a complete novice at that and got scared seein that these are nif files that I don't have a prayer at creating. How do you make civ accept just that one static picture?

Top Bottom